Nikon D600?

I'm not sure whether it happened where you live, but from what I recall (and certainly here in South Africa)
all D600's were exchanged free of charge for D610's.

There was a problem with the shutter spattering oil over the sensor - while this might not be the case in
the example you are looking to buy, be aware and be warned

Maybe the 'service for the shutter' addressed this issue? The D610 I can vouch for : brilliant body

I had endless (really, trust me) problems with my D800 until finally Nikon gave up attempting to appease me with bad fixes
that inevitably broke again or something else went wrong (big time) - so finally they replaced it with a refurbished D810 body
(which I still have currently)

That's not to say that there's anything inherently wrong with D800's - I think I had a Friday Afternoon edition, it was just a lemon

FX bodies are nice, yes they are. If that D600 is well within budget currently, there's no harm in trying it and maybe reserve the
right to return it if you find it does cause issues within the first month?

Had a D600, instead of "repairing" it for the 3rd time they sent me a new D610. I sold it new in the box for D800. I'm not sure what problems @Irene McC had, but I never had any issues with mine.

Why did I not even try the D610? The AF system, not the oil (which yes was a pain). The D600/610 had the 39 point AF system from the D7000 with the same DX AF point spread. It was inside the rule of thirds on an FX frame. If you wanted that composition you are forced to focus and recompose. Not ideal for event work.

Just something to consider when looking as FX bodies. If I were just shooting portraits or other static subjects it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
D600 is a moped-tier body for entry level people. Great for budget but maybe sometimes one would rather go without a body than with a bad cheap one.

D810 and D850 are for those who have the affinity towards the finer things in life.

D700 is a great vintage option.

But last and definitely not the least, there's Df. It has some irritating specs if you need autofocus but otherwise it's a grand option.

Around here the same budget (900-1200 €) covers all sorts of great bodies: Df, D500, D4 (sometimes even D4s), D810.

If you want a great FX option for very little money, but a heap of functionality - the D700 is the one. My first FX body and I kept it for a long, long time. It is a workhorse of a camera and a "D3 lite" Same sensor, the improved 51pt AF system over the D600/D610/Df. I will say that the Df has the improved D4 sensor in it, but used they are over $1000 now.

Been looking at them since mike3996 mentioned. Yeah, the rez is lower but I had a number of Olympus cameras at that level - it's enough with good glass. And I see that all my manual focus lenses will work fine on a D700.

Only real issues seem to be a different battery and CF rather than SD cards. Anything else?

D600 is a moped-tier body for entry level people. Great for budget but maybe sometimes one would rather go without a body than with a bad cheap one.

D810 and D850 are for those who have the affinity towards the finer things in life.

D700 is a great vintage option.

But last and definitely not the least, there's Df. It has some irritating specs if you need autofocus but otherwise it's a grand option.

Around here the same budget (900-1200 €) covers all sorts of great bodies: Df, D500, D4 (sometimes even D4s), D810.

If you want a great FX option for very little money, but a heap of functionality - the D700 is the one. My first FX body and I kept it for a long, long time. It is a workhorse of a camera and a "D3 lite" Same sensor, the improved 51pt AF system over the D600/D610/Df. I will say that the Df has the improved D4 sensor in it, but used they are over $1000 now.
The DF had the same AF system as the D600, same issues I mentioned above.

The D700 is a true work horse, I had a pair of them, it's the only camera I actually owned a pair of when shooting events.

Batteries? I know it worked with any up to that point, not idea about newer ones.

CF vs SD? I prefer SD and the D700 was a single card camera.

William, the D3/D700 had slightly less DR than an E-M1 MkII. Worth thinking about.

A later body would be well worth the extra coin, IMHO.
The Oly's I had were the E-PL1 & E-P3. They were both the same as the D700 so that's not a big deal to me.

As for what to get, I'm considering

A D700 body to have full frame use of my Nikkor manual focus lenses
or
A Canon 28/2.8 LTM
or
A Leica 50/2 Summitar LTM

All three would scratch one of my itches, but can't scratch them all :unsure:

I'll be looking at a bunch of OT hours on the July 1 paycheck and may do one of these then. Or I may not. One never knows :drinks:

Back