Daft Question?

christilou

Legend
This might sound like a silly question but is there any reason why one shouldn't use a simple screen protector like the stick on ones for iPhone? There seem to be so many recommendations for different protectors and now I'm thoroughly confused!

On a camera's LCD? I generally do. But for a camera with a touch screen like the OMD, you'd definitely want to use one of those protectors that does not block the polarity from your touch, which would be something similar to an iPhone protector. Probably want to avoid those protectors that look matte or hazy (and claim to be anti-glare), because they typically lower the viewing resolution.

I bought a couple of big sheets of Zagg protectors for an ipad a while back and just cut them to size for my various cameras. I figure if the ipad/iphone touchscreen will work through these, so will the Olympus version. So far, no problems...

-Ray

I've stopped using anything - not too bothered if the LCD gets scratched - goes with the coffee stain on my M8 - gives character

that goes for UV lens filters as well - except on the M8 were you need a filter otherwise the greens are grey, (or even gray)

I use the harder [but thin] glass protector from GGS for my dslr. I think it is sturdier. If I can scratch plastic film with my fingernail then it is too soft to protect my LCD. Burnishing and wear on a camera might give it character but gouges on the LCD just make it hard to use. My G12 obviously folds in, if I wanted I could use a thin film protector, however I can never get the plastic films to lay properly and I get bubbles. So then I end up ripping them off. Might as well have left the mfg's plastic on it then. My phone is android so a touch screen and I have a plastic sheet on it, it's mildly rigid, can't scratch with my fingernail and still conducts. It still is prone to bubble and not all plastics 'burp' well as far as working those bubbles out. On the phone though I deal with it because there will be a lot of touching that screen and even if it looks a little tacky at least it continues to work vs. damaging it. Otherwise it is personal preference. My viewpoint is if you spent several hundred on a camera then putting a sturdy screen protector on it isn't an unreasonable expense. I have noticed no image distortion on my canon rebel due to the glass screen. Also, only the edges of it are stuck down, not the entire surface. That is easier for removing them and better for viewing. Again, preference..

Never had any so far. Been using it for the last three years since the iPhone 3G and first gen iPad. The edges eventually start peeling off depending on how much abuse I give it. Because I had the Invisible Shield installed by an authorized retailer, there's lifetime warranty. I just go back to the retailer, and they put on a new one.

Back