Daily Challenge Daily May 12

One from early this morning (pre breakfast) before the breeze got up.

200512-P1100007-55mm-mono.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Female Goat Willow Catkins shedding seed

(with 55mm Micro-NIKKOR f/2.8 lens)

Barrie

One can never have too many clamps . . .
I used to teach a short course in the history of medicine. Harvey Cushing was one of my favorites:
He single-handedly took the survival rate for neurosurgery from 25% to 75%. One of the great problems in those days was the blood loss during brain surgery. He solved this by literally using up to a hundred clamps to control the bleeding. Great minds think alike.

I love both versions of this image. Thank you for posting it.
It was hard for me to decide which one to post here. The b&w version is a little more abstract, I gave it a little more contrast.
So I thought that one would fit better in high contrast b&w. But I knew when taking this grid in the noon sun that it ought to come out fine. I appreciate your comment, Walter.

After 11 hours of slaving away with a sore throat and a headache (never a good combination in the best of times, let alone now), I'm only able to provide another safety. Interestingly, I had to take it twice because I frankly messed up with the M10 (even thought I got a "usable" image after some rough pp); on a whim, I fetched the M8 and redid it, using a profile I had done for dark situations (something the M8 isn't made for). Lo and behold, it's the more appealing image - so, my den again (with some signs of intermittent leisure, at least).

If the Mojo wasn't charging, I might have included that as well ...

L1002367.JPG

M.

Cold and dreary outside. And I used up my allocation of 'outside time' getting extra provisions since the rolling shortages have started around here - a bit early I think, this is just the chaos of the U.S. pandemic response, not the real shortages which should be later and remain pretty minor in scope (God-Willing, like that old Iranian story).
So, I'm posting another from yesterday's wander downtown looking for street art. This is how a parking lot CAN look.
12-P5110007.jpg

I got this idea yesterday, so threw a few things together today - I like that it kind of harmonizes with Matt's workstation photo. I've done a few "EDC" (everyday carry) photos, which I've shared with EDC communities online. It's a fun hobby to collect and put together cool combinations of gadgets, gizmos and tools. I started re-reading Neuromancer, which is among my favorite SciFi books, and since I was carrying the GRIII that day, I laid them down together... and was struck by how well the stealthy and uber-modern camera looks next to the glowing green Ace paperback. So today I grabbed another couple things: my CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken ("Silent Sword") knife, and my old Nexus 6 phone (I'm not using it daily today, but kind of have it set up as a mini tablet). Then I photographed with my GX9, and took it into PL3 and then Nik to apply an absurd amount of filters. Polaroid transfer is the main one adding the level of grunginess to this. So, because I have a boring day off and I'm a huge SciFi and fantasy nerd, here's my "Cyberpunk EDC."

P1000864_Nik_DxO.jpg

A gray rainy day outside. I wandered around, getting drizzled on, looking for the right subject....and finding nothing. Eventually I retreated inside. In my writing office, an old lamp that belonged to my grandmother sits atop a bookshelf...and alongside it, almost staring up at me, was the dismembered head of a tiny Balinese puppet. I stared back at it, and....

GRD_May12_Balinese_puppet_head.jpg

Taken with the GRDiii's flash, in Macro mode.

I got this idea yesterday, so threw a few things together today - I like that it kind of harmonizes with Matt's workstation photo. I've done a few "EDC" (everyday carry) photos, which I've shared with EDC communities online. It's a fun hobby to collect and put together cool combinations of gadgets, gizmos and tools. I started re-reading Neuromancer, which is among my favorite SciFi books, and since I was carrying the GRIII that day, I laid them down together... and was struck by how well the stealthy and uber-modern camera looks next to the glowing green Ace paperback. So today I grabbed another couple things: my CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken ("Silent Sword") knife, and my old Nexus 6 phone (I'm not using it daily today, but kind of have it set up as a mini tablet). Then I photographed with my GX9, and took it into PL3 and then Nik to apply an absurd amount of filters. Polaroid transfer is the main one adding the level of grunginess to this. So, because I have a boring day off and I'm a huge SciFi and fantasy nerd, here's my "Cyberpunk EDC."

View attachment 222834
One of my favorite books.

Back