Daily May 19

tonyturley

Legend
Real Name
Tony
With apologies to Matt, I couldn't find a Day 19 thread, so here goes. I hope things are going well for you, Matt.

I always personalize the headstock of my instrument builds with my last initial. Sometimes I've used a wood inlay, sometimes a Mother-of-Pearl inlay, and others have involved carving out the insignia and filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and something to give it a contrasting color. In this case, I will fill the cavity with epoxy and Ebony dust, and sand it smooth.

P5190012.JPG

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
With apologies to Matt, I couldn't find a Day 19 thread, so here goes. I hope things are going well for you, Matt.

I always personalize the headstock of my instrument builds with my last initial. Sometimes I've used a wood inlay, sometimes a Mother-of-Pearl inlay, and others have involved carving out the insignia and filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and something to give it a contrasting color. In this case, I will fill the cavity with epoxy and Ebony dust, and sand it smooth.

View attachment 223375
You were really sticking your neck out here, Tony.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
How's that colour coming about - and the torus? Oxide layer on the surface causing a change in surface tension?
1. The color is mostly due to lighting. It's a dull gray normally because of oxidation, like aluminum.
2. I wondered myself about the torus. I noticed it as I was checking the picture on the LCD. I moved the bottle to a shelf with better lighting. I moved it again and was able to create a C-shaped object in the bottle, where the ends were touching but not combining. Hg has a phenomenally high surface tension and almost no tendency to wet a surface. It eventually returned to a disk-shaped puddle in the bottom of the bottle but it took about 10 minutes. Fun stuff with which to play. Too bad its so toxic in it's non-elemental forms.

Latest threads

Top Bottom