Daily Challenge Daily May 19

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
With apologies to Matt, I couldn't find a Day 19 thread, so here goes. I hope things are going well for you, Matt.

I always personalize the headstock of my instrument builds with my last initial. Sometimes I've used a wood inlay, sometimes a Mother-of-Pearl inlay, and others have involved carving out the insignia and filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and something to give it a contrasting color. In this case, I will fill the cavity with epoxy and Ebony dust, and sand it smooth.

P5190012.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With apologies to Matt, I couldn't find a Day 19 thread, so here goes. I hope things are going well for you, Matt.

I always personalize the headstock of my instrument builds with my last initial. Sometimes I've used a wood inlay, sometimes a Mother-of-Pearl inlay, and others have involved carving out the insignia and filling the cavity with a mixture of epoxy and something to give it a contrasting color. In this case, I will fill the cavity with epoxy and Ebony dust, and sand it smooth.

View attachment 223375
You were really sticking your neck out here, Tony.

How's that colour coming about - and the torus? Oxide layer on the surface causing a change in surface tension?
1. The color is mostly due to lighting. It's a dull gray normally because of oxidation, like aluminum.
2. I wondered myself about the torus. I noticed it as I was checking the picture on the LCD. I moved the bottle to a shelf with better lighting. I moved it again and was able to create a C-shaped object in the bottle, where the ends were touching but not combining. Hg has a phenomenally high surface tension and almost no tendency to wet a surface. It eventually returned to a disk-shaped puddle in the bottom of the bottle but it took about 10 minutes. Fun stuff with which to play. Too bad its so toxic in it's non-elemental forms.

Back