Daily Challenge Daily May 6

It's a little bit of a cheat, but I won't be able to do any photography today, so I am posting a photograph I took in the late afternoon, yesterday - but have only just downloaded to my Mac and processed today, in the wee-wee early morning hours of May 6. It's a close angle on the front grill of a non-operational and almost psychedelically rusted ancient Ford pickup truck---

GRII_May5_Ancient_Ford_pickup_Grill.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was taken with the GR II's Positive Film in-camera jpeg preset, and then tweaked a bit in LR6.

Last edited:
A pair of baritone ukulele soundboards and their braces ready for final shaping before gluing in place. Both soundboards are Western Red Cedar, but the one on the left is from a sinker log. Sinker wood comes from logs that sank to the bottom of a lake or river while being floated to a sawmill, where they lay until they are rediscovered, sometimes over a hundred years later. A natural preservation process keeps the heartwood intact as it slowly absorbs minerals from the water, bleaching out the wood and imparting a variety of color patterns. My camera didn't capture it well, but my wood has a pale pink hue. Some claim that sinker wood is more musically resonant. As this is my first experience with sinker wood, I can't say if that is true or not.

cedar.jpg

It's incredible what I didn't take a photo of, a minivan drove by really fast and a wheel either fell from it or came out of it, I couldn't tell but the fallen wheel was running and bouncing, I wasn't sure what happened next because I nearly got hit by other cars, yes, plural, as I was standing in the middle of the road shocked.

And that was minutes after I took this photo.

DSC03733_ILCE-6400_1_50_5.0_2000_30.0 mm_30mm F1.4 DC DN _ Contemporary 016.jpg

It's incredible what I didn't take a photo of, a minivan drove by really fast and a wheel either fell from it or came out of it, I couldn't tell but the fallen wheel was running and bouncing, I wasn't sure what happened next because I nearly got hit by other cars, yes, plural, as I was standing in the middle of the road shocked.

And that was minutes after I took this photo.

View attachment 222151

Amazing narrative.
Glad you're ok.
I've seen a few times what damage an inflated tire and wheel can do.

Nice photo too. I really like the A6400/30 1.4 combo.

Amazing narrative.
Glad you're ok.
I've seen a few times what damage an inflated tire and wheel can do.

Nice photo too. I really like the A6400/30 1.4 combo.
Thank you, it was really dangerous and chaotic and happend very fast. I have also used the Sigma 30 2.8 and that one if not for the limited centre-only PDAF zone on Sony bodies, I'd probably have that too.

200506-P1090750.JPG

Caught in the act

Taken with Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/4 with Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64, obviously cropped to emphasis that this guy is eating, or rather sucking dry another small fly who's wings you can see under its thorax. A handheld shot.

Barrie

Last edited:
Skipped some classes, but here I am again, at least for today :)
Panasonic G3 + M42 Vivitar 28mm f2.8:
PICTOGRAMAX - 2020 - 05 06 - SOMNUS.jpg

P. S. If it wasn't for one shot per day rule, I would have told you a bit about reconsidering MFT again, comparing it to Fuji, as well as shown the similar shot I took with Fuji XE2 + Industar 50, trying to asses the strengths and weaknesses of both (from my perspective, of course). But alas :)

P. P. S. @MoonMind The previous P. S. was in no way meant against your proposed rule of one picture per day; I was joking, but now realized it might be read differently. I'm completely fine with it and will respect it.

Last edited:
Skipped some classes, but here I am again, at least for today :)
Panasonic G3 + M42 Vivitar 28mm f2.8:
View attachment 222178
P. S. If it wasn't for one shot per day rule, I would have told you a bit about reconsidering MFT again, comparing it to Fuji, as well as shown the similar shot I took with Fuji XE2 + Industar 50, trying to asses the strengths and weaknesses of both (from my perspective, of course). But alas :)

P. P. S. @MoonMind The previous P. S. was in no way meant against your proposed rule of one picture per day; I was joking, but now realized it might be read differently. I'm completely fine with it and will respect it.

I used to own a G3. I have nothing but fond memories of it. A lovely camera.

Back