Daily Challenge Daily May 7

Colorful tubes being installed at a children’s play area. Of course the project is on hold due to COVID.
AF699573-9352-4FD0-8C3B-47FEA07018FE.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As some diptychs have been seen already, I'll allow myself one also. Still into testing and comparing Fuji APSC and Panasonic MFT, I took these two images today, one with Fuji XE2 + 28mm f2.8 and the other with Panasonic G3 + M42 Vivitar 28mm f2.8... Can you tell which combo is behind which image?
View attachment 222287
Sure I can. I don't even see images anymore, I just see bokeh, and DR, and DoF. This is obvious, so I won't spoil it for the rest of the fans. Am I right? Of course I am! Right?

My guess is: Fuji (L), and Panny (R). Unless I'm being dyslexic again. in which case.....

Day 7. I just found out that, for my birthday, Andy Serkis is reading me the real story behind Gollum's lost birthday present, his Precious. And, he is fundraising for a couple of healthcare causes in the UK. I'm all in, so now I must head to bed, because it starts at 3am Colorado time.

Oh, this thread? okay, so, no images today. Yardwork, but no photos. SO, you get post modern art. So there....
07-P5070016-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No brain cells were taxed in the production of this masterpiece. :)

Thanks for playing along, it was very interesting to read your comments. The Panasonic G3 image is on the left, and Fuji XE2 on the right.

Yesterday I took five different compositions/subjects - with XE2 and 28 I would frame it and shoot at the minimal focus distance, than take the "same" image from the same spot with G3 and Vivitar 28. The images had the same amount of DOF (the FL and Fstop being the same) but G3 image was tighter, more zoomed in (because of 2X crop factor obviously).

Then I would back off a bit to get with G3 the similar framing I had with Fuji. The FOV now would be (approx) the same, but G3 shot had less shallow DOF because the distance from the subject was now bigger.

And lastly I would then move closer than Fuji (as the smaller sensor in G3 allows fore somewhat closer focusing) - the FOV was event thigher that way, so I shot 4 to 6 overlapping images and stitched them later in PS. That gave me the wider view and shallower DOF at the same time (but required shooting more frames and stitching them together).

All this to get the feel for differences between the systems. I was curious to find:
- How much tighter is the 2X crop? The answer is not that much compared to APSC, it took me a bit more than half a step back to get to the similar FOV
- Can I indeed focus closer on MFT? Yes it does allow a bit more intimacy with the subject
- Can I play with shallow DOF as well on MFT? Again the answer is yes, with or without some creative workarounds
- Can I get similar, but more important, satisfying results with both systems? Yes, of course; in the end, the comparison only matters when the images are seen side by side, and even then is more of intriguing than important one

All this started because, while we did Single In April, I have been searching in vain for my Industar 50 lens, to compare it to Jupiter 8 I have been using throughout the challenge. But managed to find the charger for Panasonic G3 instead, fired it up, and after a looong sleep that little camera worked like a charm (I haven't used it since I got me a Sony A6000). What struck me when picking it up again was how much bigger, brighter and merrier the EVF of G3 seems in comparison to XE2. In fact, that smallish and tunnel-like EVF of FUJI XE2 is preventing me from bonding deeply with that camera. The files are great, but the EVF is not (at least to me, my lousy eyesight and specific demand of regular manual focusing vintage glass).

So to sum up, the image on the right was Fuji out-of-camera JPEG (the scene was contrasty and I decided to sacrifice some highlights to preserve some shadow detail). The image on the left is G3, the last one of the series where I moved in closer and took four horizontal frames of the scene, then stitched them in PS. The JPEGs were even more contrasty than Fuji, but these I shot also as RAWs which allowed me to regain a bit of shadow and highlight details. I also matched the color to Fuji, otherwise the WB of these cameras is notably different.

Obviously, nothing serious or scientific in this game :) Thank you for your input, I enjoyed different perspectives on these two images.

All this started because, while we did Single In April, I have been searching in vain for my Industar 50 lens, to compare it to Jupiter 8 I have been using throughout the challenge.
A minor thing, but: It's often easier to get hold of a FED 3, FED 4 or FED 5 with the Industar on it than looking for the lens alone. I have the Industar-61L/D (on a FED 3), and I was quite impressed with it adapted to my A7 II. The Jupiter-8 is the more charming lens, but the Industar-61L/D is the better performer in some metrics, notably sharpness/resolution. Mine's in less-than-satisfying condition, though ... that's the risk of buying online, unseen. I didn't pay a lot for it, so it's okay.

M.

Yes, you are right, and I got mine Industar along with a FED 3 :)
In the end I found it also at the bottom of one of my bags.
I love that little lens - at 3.5 it's not fast, but is sharp and renders nicely.
And you are not the first one to praise 61L/D; I guess I'll try it also one of these days.

Back