Advice Wanted Damaged LCD screen on Olympus Stylus 1S - need Repair Advice

That is not something I had thought of; the next time I need some electronics repair I'll try one of the local phone repair shops.

The guys who work in our local place are both young, smart, gear-geeks who love challenges - and I feel like I lucked out having such a good 'resource' available to me. There is a cable which connects the screen to the electronics-mainboard in the camera body - apparently that was the 'trickiest' part of the operation - but it's all part of a day in the office for a tech geek. The biggest 'risk' was whether or not the screen in my replacement parts camera would be in good working condition, because there was no way to tell until the swap had been made and the camera was powered on - but, luckily, the screen worked fine.

Putting it in context, the estimate which I had gotten online for the repair from Precision Camera - a very legitimate camera repair shop on the East Coast (which, if my memory serves me well, used to do warranty repairs for Olympus, way back when) - was approximately $200. So, relatively speaking, I feel like I got a 'good deal'. Additionally, there is the satisfaction of giving my money to a local business, staffed by intelligent tech geeks.

And I've learned my lesson: the Stylus 1s is a very well built small camera, but it's not an indestructible tank. Have to remember that in the future ;)

Back