Darktable vs Capture One

I have Lightroom Classic but have been playing around with Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw. The June release of Camera Raw (version 14.4) has all the cool masking features recently added to Lightroom. Check out the latest features here:

I understand Bridge and Camera Raw can be downloaded free from Adobe. I have been considering this package as an alternative to the LR/ Photoshop subscription.

I tried to get ACR to work with Bridge on my computer. I was unsuccessful.

Further investigation online made me find out that Adobe state you cannot edit using ACR without a licence for either Photoshop or After Effects.

Therefore, ACR cannot be downloaded and used with Bridge for free.

IMG_6388.jpg

Does it recognise newer cameras?

As it uses Camera Raw it provides exactly the same camera support (Cameras supported by Camera Raw) as Photoshop and Lightroom.

I tried to get ACR to work with Bridge on my computer. I was unsuccessful.

Further investigation online made me find out that Adobe state you cannot edit using ACR without a licence for either Photoshop or After Effects.

Therefore, ACR cannot be downloaded and used with Bridge for free.

View attachment 318103

Have you created a free adobe account and installed creative cloud? The following may be helpful:

It's True: Adobe Bridge 2022 Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life!

How to Organise Your Photos for Free With Adobe Bridge (Quick Start Guide)

As it uses Camera Raw it provides exactly the same camera support (Cameras supported by Camera Raw) as Photoshop and Lightroom.

Have you created a free adobe account and installed creative cloud? The following may be helpful:

It's True: Adobe Bridge 2022 Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life!

How to Organise Your Photos for Free With Adobe Bridge (Quick Start Guide)

I have Bridge. I also have an Adobe account and have creative cloud (I gave up on Lightroom classic/photoshop, but currently have the CC subsciption version). But, it won't let me use ACR with Bridge.

Bridge is free, but the use of the editing tool/plugin "Camera Raw" is not.

To quote from one of your links:

"If you happen to have an older, licensed version of an Adobe program, like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you'll also be able to open and edit RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw."

Appears I may need to dig out my old licenced photoshop elements account from 10 years ago! haha!

I installed Darktable for Win10 and Fedora 37- tested with the Linear DNG files of the M Monochrom. Still getting used to it. But- it does not believe that the Linear DNG file is a "raw" file, and has some of the processing options turned off, such as Hot Pixel correction. Lightroom corrects the 3 hot pixels, I've never noticed them before. I can always fix them in Fortran, which I use for my own underperforming line correction. Instead of averaging over a bad line, I restore it by generating a local DC offset. One of the older versions of Darktable I tried years ago bombed on the M Monochrom linear DNG.

One other difference- with Lightroom I can open it, point to the directory, and import as files are being copied from the SD card. The newly arriving files appear as they are copied. With Darktable- I needed to copy the files first, then open Darktable. Not knowing the specifics of the internals, looked like a permissions lock.

But- it does not believe that the Linear DNG file is a "raw" file, and has some of the processing options turned off, such as Hot Pixel correction.
Monochrome DNG is a bit of a special case anyway. It's as close to a normal bitmap as possible.

Maybe the hot pixel module of darktable only works with color data, that's why it's not useful.

I just installed "ART" on my "suicide machine", ie one that is fully backed up and expendable.
Norton states it has less than 5 users in the community. I'm running a full scan on the computer now.

Installed, works well with the same DNG files- Hot Pixels not showing up. The interface is closer to Lightroom. Works very differently, stores a second file for each DNG with the default settings, but I used for 15 minutes so far. I like it, good alternative to Lightroom.

I'll play with both. I also installed Darktable for Fedora on the Linux suicide machine.

Linear DNG is extremely simple, and I am surprised that Darktable did not enable the Raw mode processing options. Whatever underlying module for processing- just not setup for it. What- maybe 30 lines of Fortran to do this?

Having used Lightroom since version 3.6 came out, ART is much more intuitive.
Darktable - very difficult to use on a Laptop. You need a Mouse with a scroll wheel to zoom into the image. I have it on a Desktop computer, and two laptops now.
Limited functions with the M Monochrom.

I use Alt-1,2,3 to adjust scale levels in darktable all the time. Could setup more levels now that I think of it. On my vast screen I don't often want to be editing an image that fills my entire vision.

Linear DNG is extremely simple, and I am surprised that Darktable did not enable the Raw mode processing options. Whatever underlying module for processing- just not setup for it. What- maybe 30 lines of Fortran to do this?
If you want to share a sample file (can be just an unfocused shot into the darkness) I can see how my darktable sees the file. Although you know your way around computers pretty well so there's probably nothing that you missed.

I'll put some code into my "Gammafix.for" code to find the hot pixels and print out the locations in the image. I use the code to restore one column, and added a hot-pixel fix for another forum member with an M Monochrom. 40 years ago used exceedance based algorithm to find bit-errors in an early digital sensor. Theory is the point-source response of the system is limited, anything exceeding that value is an error. Old Fortran Code never dies.

I'm sure this is not a coincidence-

"Microsoft Application Compatibility Checker" went into overdrive last night and this morning, probably ART freaked it out.
I disabled it using the Scheduler. Found instructions online.
I'm getting really tired of having to hard-reset my computer because of Microsoft's overly invasive utility programs that are installed and run without notification to the users. There is bloatware, and there is useless-crap-ware. Most of Microsoft's products are migrating from bloatware to crapware that only push Microsoft's idea of how a computer should be used. After DOS 7.1, I have very little use for it professionally. Hobby and personal use- looking at Linux now.

I miss CP/m. Bill Gates used to do real work, wrote the Microsoft FORTRAN-80 compiler for CP/m. Ran in 30K of memory. I wrote image processing software to do scene segmentation for Landsat 4 imagery using it, running under CP/m. That was fun, and I got paid to do it. 1982.

I miss CP/m. Bill Gates used to do real work, wrote the Microsoft FORTRAN-80 compiler for CP/m. Ran in 30K of memory. I wrote image processing software to do scene segmentation for Landsat 4 imagery using it, running under CP/m. That was fun, and I got paid to do it. 1982.
Similarly, I miss SunOS/Solaris. That line remains the best of the commercial UNIXen. I have a Sun Blade 2500/Silver with 2 1.6ghz CPUs & 8 gb ram and even though it's slow running the last version of Firefox that was built for Solaris 10, it screams running Medley Interlisp (thankfully that's been freed and is now open source: GitHub - Interlisp/medley: The main repo for the Medley Interlisp project. Wiki, Issues are here. Other repositories include maiko (the VM implementation) and Interlisp.github.io (web site sources) ).

I deal with Windows because I have to. But when I can, the Sun still shines ;)
I should build ART on Solaris 10 on my next weekend off...

I'm sure this is not a coincidence-

"Microsoft Application Compatibility Checker" went into overdrive last night and this morning, probably ART freaked it out.
I disabled it using the Scheduler. Found instructions online.
I'm getting really tired of having to hard-reset my computer because of Microsoft's overly invasive utility programs that are installed and run without notification to the users. There is bloatware, and there is useless-crap-ware. Most of Microsoft's products are migrating from bloatware to crapware that only push Microsoft's idea of how a computer should be used. After DOS 7.1, I have very little use for it professionally. Hobby and personal use- looking at Linux now.
You should definitely look at Linux. I've been using it at work and at home since 1998. Before that I had been using Silicon Graphics workstations running their version of UNIX for work and before that I worked with DEC VAX and PDP 11 running VMS. I just bought a new Lenovo ThinkPad and immediately wiped Windows off it and installed my preferred flavour of Linux (Debian). Ubuntu and Mint might be easier distributions to start with.

I only have a Windows Surface tablet computer that I use for teaching my lectures. I think I could use Linux for that, too, but the tablet isn't mine to mess with!

I've never used non-open source photography software so I'm quite happy working with darktable but I may try ART.

I especially miss VMS. I used it for both realtime work and for image processing. You could set job priority above the Pager and Swapper- meaning you had to lock your working page set into physical memory yourself. I knew the memory location to set the flag for gaining all privileges for the OS. Tuned my programs using an Oscilloscope tied into the I/O boards. The 1980s for me. I used Xenix-286 with an Intel Hypercube with four array processors on it. The OS was always declaring "PANIC".
Linux looks good for a Windoze alternative. Professionally- "Fortran, Assembler, DOS, Wordstar. Nothing Else Needed". "Hard Realtime Requirements in the 200Nanosecond range".
FreeDOS 1.3 was just released. DOS will never Die. Runs all my 32-bit code using PharLap. If you had told me in the 1980s that I would still be using DOS and Fortran into the 2020s, I would have been "That's a relief". In Fortran, there is no TRY only DO.

Back