Darwin - I didn't know this!

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
The ever fragrant Mrs T and I visited the home of Charles Darwin today. He lived there for 40 years until his death.

1. I had no idea it was only 1 hour away from where I live (Down in the county of Kent)
2. I had no idea he was buried at Westminster Abbey close to Sir Isaac Newton
3. I had no idea he had the time to father 10 children, and was a loving liberal Dad who spent a great deal of time with his children allowing them to have fun. (very non-Victorian)
4. I had no idea he was the grandson of Josiah Wedgwood of pottery fame
5. I had no idea his wife; Emma, was his cousin

It was a pity that photography inside the house was not permitted. I'd like to have shot his study which still had the chair he sat in. In fact the study was recreated from an original photo with all the original furniture and paintings etc.

It was a privilege to be able to visit the home of the man who changed the course of modern thinking with his book "The origin of the Species"

One of his quotes is as pertinent now (if not more so) as it was then.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change".

Lovely story Pete, and all that is news to me too. What a great man. I've used that very quote often when "lecturing" large enterprises about their own in-built resistance to change. The catchphrase du jour is "Uber before you get Kodak'd"...

Lovely story Pete, and all that is news to me too. What a great man. I've used that very quote often when "lecturing" large enterprises about their own in-built resistance to change. The catchphrase du jour is "Uber before you get Kodak'd"...
Cheers Bill. I got the same prickly feeling at he back of my neck as I got when I walked into Churchills study.

Uber before you get kodak'd. Yes.......Darwin would likely have used that if the equivalent was around in those days.

Back