David Burnett shooting the impeachment hearing with 4x5

mike3996

Top Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Woodent you like to know

I'm surprised at the small size of this camera. I thought 4x5 is large format but this almost MF-dimensions on the outside. One of the smallest 4x5's ?

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Dammit, no pricing provided under 'pricing' on the website. All I wanted to know was a ballpark - are we talking $10k per unit or $2k?
I found this in a blog post from 2013.

"Prices depend on materials used: lenses, body and parts/materials.
A basic black leather runs about $3600.00, the Woodies run $6,000. Due to the amount of custom work and attention to detail and specially machined parts, he can only build a few a year. ( woodies ) - (Weather conditions affect finishes as well.)"

So your guess is in the pricing ballpark.

TraamisVOS

Hall of Famer
Nov 29, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I found this in a blog post from 2013.

"Prices depend on materials used: lenses, body and parts/materials.
A basic black leather runs about $3600.00, the Woodies run $6,000. Due to the amount of custom work and attention to detail and specially machined parts, he can only build a few a year. ( woodies ) - (Weather conditions affect finishes as well.)"

So your guess is in the pricing ballpark.
Smack in the middle. $6k... ahhhh too much for a camera that isn't going to be my main camera. Such a beautiful camera though.

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Same. Or a Hasselblad H4D/H5D with an 80mm f/2.8. Or a Hasselblad Xpan II. Or a Blackmagic Cinema Pocket 6K with a couple of lenses.
I had a love/hate relationship with the original BMPCC. The video was gorgeous. The portability was awesome. M4/3 lenses speak for themselves. But, actually using it, having to go deep into the menus to do anything, was a nightmare. Especially using it side by side with Fuji bodies. And the battery life was a joke. It seems Black Magic has made the current Pocket Cinema bodies much more user friendly. And have better batteries.

phigmov

Top Veteran
Mar 23, 2015
Thought it was cool seeing this camera in action - must do a bit of pushing in processing as the light must be relatively awful inside and it'd be a struggle to get a snap in an environment where people are moving rather than posing.

Had to look up the area difference between MF 6x9cm and LF 4x5in - something like the Fuji 6x9 would be pretty workable but you do get twice (+ some) the size on 4x5.

TraamisVOS

Hall of Famer
Nov 29, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I had a love/hate relationship with the original BMPCC. The video was gorgeous. The portability was awesome. M4/3 lenses speak for themselves. But, actually using it, having to go deep into the menus to do anything, was a nightmare. Especially using it side by side with Fuji bodies. And the battery life was a joke. It seems Black Magic has made the current Pocket Cinema bodies much more user friendly. And have better batteries.
As I understand it, battery life is still lacking in the current cameras but these cameras are powerful and ttherefore power-hungry, so I am not surprised. This is why I have said several times - I'd much rather have improvement in power technology than more peripheral features in each release.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom