David Burnett shooting the impeachment hearing with 4x5

Woodent you like to know

I'm surprised at the small size of this camera. I thought 4x5 is large format but this almost MF-dimensions on the outside. One of the smallest 4x5's ?

Dammit, no pricing provided under 'pricing' on the website. All I wanted to know was a ballpark - are we talking $10k per unit or $2k?

I found this in a blog post from 2013.

"Prices depend on materials used: lenses, body and parts/materials.
A basic black leather runs about $3600.00, the Woodies run $6,000. Due to the amount of custom work and attention to detail and specially machined parts, he can only build a few a year. ( woodies ) - (Weather conditions affect finishes as well.)"

So your guess is in the pricing ballpark.

I found this in a blog post from 2013.

"Prices depend on materials used: lenses, body and parts/materials.
A basic black leather runs about $3600.00, the Woodies run $6,000. Due to the amount of custom work and attention to detail and specially machined parts, he can only build a few a year. ( woodies ) - (Weather conditions affect finishes as well.)"

So your guess is in the pricing ballpark.

Smack in the middle. $6k... ahhhh too much for a camera that isn't going to be my main camera. Such a beautiful camera though.

Same. Or a Hasselblad H4D/H5D with an 80mm f/2.8. Or a Hasselblad Xpan II. Or a Blackmagic Cinema Pocket 6K with a couple of lenses.
I had a love/hate relationship with the original BMPCC. The video was gorgeous. The portability was awesome. M4/3 lenses speak for themselves. But, actually using it, having to go deep into the menus to do anything, was a nightmare. Especially using it side by side with Fuji bodies. And the battery life was a joke. It seems Black Magic has made the current Pocket Cinema bodies much more user friendly. And have better batteries.

Thought it was cool seeing this camera in action - must do a bit of pushing in processing as the light must be relatively awful inside and it'd be a struggle to get a snap in an environment where people are moving rather than posing.

Had to look up the area difference between MF 6x9cm and LF 4x5in - something like the Fuji 6x9 would be pretty workable but you do get twice (+ some) the size on 4x5.

I had a love/hate relationship with the original BMPCC. The video was gorgeous. The portability was awesome. M4/3 lenses speak for themselves. But, actually using it, having to go deep into the menus to do anything, was a nightmare. Especially using it side by side with Fuji bodies. And the battery life was a joke. It seems Black Magic has made the current Pocket Cinema bodies much more user friendly. And have better batteries.

As I understand it, battery life is still lacking in the current cameras but these cameras are powerful and ttherefore power-hungry, so I am not surprised. This is why I have said several times - I'd much rather have improvement in power technology than more peripheral features in each release.

Back