DAY 14: The Most Magnificent Serious Compact Photo Challenge - August 2013

ReD

Hall of Famer
Day 14 – Higher Love

This figure group belonged to my grandmother and I’ve known it all my life. It has always held a fascination for me as the detail modelling is superb. It was her wedding present to me when she didn’t have a farthing.

Thanks to the prompt on this thread and a little internet search (long overdue) I have today discovered it’s called “The Happy Family”. 19th C. Parian Porcelain.

Still don’t know who made it. (Yet)

Not worth a heck of a lot circa £300 or so – New Camera? … Nah. I’ll be keeping it.

View attachment 74003

Emotions and great memories cannot be expressed in money, ReD. It is a very nice shot!

Here is mine for today. As I did "14-mostly monotone" already and I missed "04-cool", here is my interpretation of COOL. Not very creative but I won't be able to go out today and shoot some cool people. So I'll accept the 10 points.
View attachment 74004

OK. One extra just for fun. Variation on COOL: COOL(ing off)
p1812376521-5.jpg

a hearty welcome Steven....glad you joined in the fun. Feel free to shoot shots for the days you missed if you like, but it's not mandatory. The rules clearly state that there are no rules.

Thanks Luke, I am still trying to interpret the themes haha

Deep

How Deep?
"Critter" dens along the edge of the hill, down in the woods, near the house. There must be at least 8 or 10 entrances, and covering several square yards. Another 75 yards further around the hill, there is another "community".
For reference, here are a couple. There are 5 or 6 in this small depression.

B_W_Den.jpg

And this is with camera and on board flash, thrust into entrance of one.

Den.jpg

Well the only shooting I did yesterday was some sealed LPs heading to eBay. Product photography is NOT my strong suit. And shrinkwrap covered LPs can be particularly tricky with reflections. I should have had it in MF mode. Otherwise the AF can grab focus on the reflection of A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld, instead of the intended Mr. Zimmerman.
9517222962_4c67c5226e_b.jpg

DSCF6027 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Back