Day 18 - Silver September 2013

Silver swell

With workmen due in my house all day today I'm unlikely to be able to get out and about, so I've fallen back on a shot taken earlier in the month.

130905-1050582.jpg

Barrie

Goodness, the quality seems to be getting better and better!

Sue, you've captured the relaxed attitude of the guy so well. I wish I had his job!
Ruby, well spotted! The "X" contrasts so well against the dark sky.
Barrie, The level of tone and contract in your image is quite amazing.
ReD, Smooth water seems to be your forte; something I still have to learn.

My contribution for the day, is another from the Masonic Chapel recently visited. It is a detail of an ornate urn; the way the light brought out the detail really caught my eye...

9771268081_dfcddd7c68_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Urn by Neiltluck, on Flickr

Thanks Neil

Btw how come I've got a stretched screen after you posted ?

Is it something to do with sending by iphone in landscape mode ??

Goodness, the quality seems to be getting better and better!

Sue, you've captured the relaxed attitude of the guy so well. I wish I had his job!
Ruby, well spotted! The "X" contrasts so well against the dark sky.
Barrie, The level of tone and contract in your image is quite amazing.
ReD, Smooth water seems to be your forte; something I still have to learn.

My contribution for the day, is another from the Masonic Chapel recently visited. It is a detail of an ornate urn; the way the light brought out the detail really caught my eye...

9771268081_dfcddd7c68_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Urn by Neiltluck, on Flickr

Thanks, Neil!
I really like this. I've had the chance for a few days in England for the last few years, travelling with my husband on his business, and I try to get details but I concentrate on "you could show this image to a student" and I don't get anything this evocative. Much food for thought for me here! Where is this place? I may have had 5 minutes in it at closing time this February at the end of a walking tour of the City of London, but for the life of me I can't remember the particulars. I'll ask Steve tonight. He'll remember.

Thanks, Neil!
I really like this. I've had the chance for a few days in England for the last few years, travelling with my husband on his business, and I try to get details but I concentrate on "you could show this image to a student" and I don't get anything this evocative. Much food for thought for me here! Where is this place? I may have had 5 minutes in it at closing time this February at the end of a walking tour of the City of London, but for the life of me I can't remember the particulars. I'll ask Steve tonight. He'll remember.

Thank you Ruby. I took the original image in colour and although I liked it and it bore a reasonable resemblance to how I remember seeing the light fall on the urn at the time, it seemed to be crying out to be converted into B&W. Once Silver Efex Pro had waved its magic wand over it, the imaged seemed to "pop" somehow, with the textures really coming out.

If you did a City of London tour when you visited, the is a good chance you would have visited this place. It is called The Temple Church and belongs to the Masons. Although steeped in history, the main structure is actually relatively "modern", as much of the original was destroyed during WWII. It is not the easiest of places to find mind you, as it is nestled in amongst the grandeur of other City buildings, although there are many clues to its existence; Temple tube stop, Temple street, Temple Row etc. It is not far from Fleet street, one of the main roads in the City.

Back