DAY 28 : The Most Magnificent Serious Compact Photo Challenge

Last minute change into a more traditional up-in-the-air because of the clear skies this morning. Don't know why but this shot appealed to me (I might be the only one; But that's OK because it is personal challenge ;-) ).
p1659930666-5.jpg

The VPI HW17 is a machine that only lunatic fringe analog music lovers will know about. You put the record on it, then spread some cleaning fluid around the record. Then give it a really good scrubbing making sure to get down in the grooves and loosen up any sediment that may be down there. Then you move the pick-up tube into place and throw the switch marked "vacuum" and unleash mechanical mayhem as all the cleaning fluid (and the now suspended sediment) gets sucked off of the playing surface and safely into the machine where you can dispose of it later.

9622138773_c42508bd3d_b.jpg

DSCF8095 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

Luke,
Wow, that is a great machine. I have to resort to diluted dish soap and a shaving brush when I pick a LP that needs cleaning.
Cool!

The VPI HW17 is a machine that only lunatic fringe analog music lovers will know about. You put the record on it, then spread some cleaning fluid around the record. Then give it a really good scrubbing making sure to get down in the grooves and loosen up any sediment that may be down there. Then you move the pick-up tube into place and throw the switch marked "vacuum" and unleash mechanical mayhem as all the cleaning fluid (and the now suspended sediment) gets sucked off of the playing surface and safely into the machine where you can dispose of it later.

I can see that I need to step up my game on vinyl record cleaning. This looks really cool. Thanks

Kleen Mean Record Machine

Lazy Susan
Cork Mat
Paint Pad
Slotted Hose connected to Vacuum cleaner
Hand spin wash

Works a treat[/QUOTE]

It was the idea from a guy on Vinyl Engine - I had to adapt to suit my own vacuum & the Lazy Susan

the idea of the red tape is to hold it off the LP - one side on label other on the LP lead in groove - otherwise the lp is sucked up too much

about 2 full turns sucks the fluid completely (actually second turn just to be safe)

the red tape is pretty smart. I wonder if you could add some soft pads like on the pick-up tube of the VPI. It serves as additional debris removal as well as a buffer zone to keep the record from sticking to the vacuum.

Of course - but don't forget its been cleaned beforehand with a paint pad to loosen the grunge

also for anyone trying this the tube needs to be robust not to collapse

Back