Daily Challenge Day by Day 79

rainy days are gone, sun's out again
P8183598.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One of the oddities on display on my workshop shelves is this "OK" brand "Super 60" 1940s era spark ignition engine given to me by an acquaintance. A product of Herkimer Tool & Model Works, Herkimer, NY, it ran on either gasoline or glow fuel (a mixture of alcohol, castor oil, and nitromethane). From what I could find of this engine, they were cantankerous and not easy to keep running well. If one could keep it running, they produced a lot of torque from that big propeller. This one may have quit running before I was even born, as the crankshaft is seized and will barely turn by hand.

DSCF0161.JPG

One of the oddities on display on my workshop shelves is this "OK" brand "Super 60" 1940s era spark ignition engine given to me by an acquaintance. A product of Herkimer Tool & Model Works, Herkimer, NY, it ran on either gasoline or glow fuel (a mixture of alcohol, castor oil, and nitromethane). From what I could find of this engine, they were cantankerous and not easy to keep running well. If one could keep it running, they produced a lot of torque from that big propeller. This one may have quit running before I was even born, as the crankshaft is seized and will barely turn by hand.

View attachment 232621
I spent an unreasonable part of my childhood trying to get the Cox .049 version of this to start. I can't see a brand on this one.

I spent an unreasonable part of my childhood trying to get the Cox .049 version of this to start. I can't see a brand on this one.
I spent a lot of time using Cox engines before I discovered electric power. I had Cox engines from .049 all the way through .15 displacement. They were all very loud. The model of the engine in my image is actually called "OK"; it's stamped on the crankcase, along with a patent number. This one has a displacement of .60, and would have had the capability of powering a model with a 5-6 foot wingspan.

I really don't know the story behind this shoe sizer. It has a 1940 date.
Found it in my mom's things after she passed away and it was too cool to toss.
Her sister married a man who owned a shoe repair business for years.
He was in the pacific during WW2. AndI think he was a high school friend with my mom and her sister.
He passed away years ago, but it is possible he was the source.
8CF49E28-AB74-4694-9877-2FF04C82563A_1_201_a.jpeg

Back