Daily Challenge Day by Day 9

metamorphosis #5
P5303107.3S.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• P5303107.3.jpg
    P5303107.3.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 117
An early morning (aka post-midnight) shot, of a beer can whose graphic illustration - of an old-school deep ocean Diver, swimming sideways through what one only imagines must be an ocean of beer - appealed to me the first time I saw it in the cold-beer-section at the market. So I bought a few cans and, though the beer ain't half-bad, the Diver is the part I really liked, so--

The beer can now lives atop one of my book cases. And, somehow, the idea of a deep ocean Beer Diver swimming endlessly across the infinite loop of his can....appealed to me.

GRDiii_June9_Beer_Diving_helmet.jpg

Also, the GRDiii has decent macro capabilities. The in-camera flash, even diffused, creates some extreme reflections but....I kinda like them.

My 20” scale baritone ukulele project has sat idle for a couple of months while I worked on the cigar box instruments, but the past couple of days have seen progress. I finally fit and glued the soundboard, flush trimmed it, and began shaping the neck. It will have the same Kamaka paddle head shape as the little concert CBU in the rear. Next is thinning the fretboard and cutting the fret slots.

The Black Walnut/Maple neck blank is leftover from a full size guitar project I started way back in 2004. It took me 14 years to finish that guitar, and I held onto the cutoff from the neck all that time. “Never throw away wood scraps” is a good motto to have.

DSCF0033.JPG

My 20” scale baritone ukulele project has sat idle for a couple of months while I worked on the cigar box instruments, but the past couple of days have seen progress. I finally fit and glued the soundboard, flush trimmed it, and began shaping the neck. It will have the same Kamaka paddle head shape as the little concert CBU in the rear. Next is thinning the fretboard and cutting the fret slots.

The Black Walnut/Maple neck blank is leftover from a full size guitar project I started way back in 2004. It took me 14 years to finish that guitar, and I held onto the cutoff from the neck all that time. “Never throw away wood scraps” is a good motto to have.

View attachment 225323
That personal headstock design-logo is beautiful, Tony.
Is it your own creation or do you use a special decorative typeface?

That personal headstock design-logo is beautiful, Tony.
Is it your own creation or do you use a special decorative typeface?
Thanks Walter. I just use a stencil I purchased, and trace it wherever I want the logo. In this case I used a woodburning pen to fill in the letter. Other times I've carved it out and filled the cavity with epoxy mixed with a contrasting sawdust, and still other times I have cut the letter out of a contrasting wood or shell material and glued it in place in the cavity.

This is such a great photograph, Don.

Especially because you 'captured' the moment which your turtle (what is his or her name? do pet turtles still have names, these days?) 'chose' to lift his-or-her head up out of the water. And let's not forget the fact that the water in your turtle's 'turtle tank' has a number of tiny bits of aquatic flotsam and jetsam floating about in it which make it look like nothing less than a junior marine version of the Milky Way (and I can't help imagining a mythological Turtle Deity swimming through a cluster of stars in deep space), and....

The more I look at it, the more I really, really like it. (And, as a purely technical side note, the rendering of your Pen F plus the telephoto zoom, is spot on for this.)

This is such a great photograph, Don.

Especially because you 'captured' the moment which your turtle (what is his or her name? do pet turtles still have names, these days?) 'chose' to lift his-or-her head up out of the water. And let's not forget the fact that the water in your turtle's 'turtle tank' has a number of tiny bits of aquatic flotsam and jetsam floating about in it which make it look like nothing less than a junior marine version of the Milky Way (and I can't help imagining a mythological Turtle Deity swimming through a cluster of stars in deep space), and....

The more I look at it, the more I really, really like it. (And, as a purely technical side note, the rendering of your Pen F plus the telephoto zoom, is spot on for this.)
Miguel, actually this is a wild turtle that lives along with many others of its kind in a nearby creek. I frequently zoom past on my bike, but today I stopped on a low bridge and these two turtles swam up. Mother and baby I thought. I suspect many people offer up tidbits of food, since often when I go this route I see families with children on the bridge admiring turtles. Glad you liked the image. The water did remind me a bit of space. It made me think about Terry Pratchett‘s Great A’Tuin from his Disc World Series. 🐢

Back