Daily Challenge Day to Day 12

You may have wondered the last seven days what the heck is this guy up to. So here's what it was all about. My 60 cm high panel.
P5303107.3-tile6.jpg

A painter friend of mine was of the opinion that photography could only depict reality in a realistic or alienated way, but could not show reality as transformed as painting. Real art was in her eyes the realm of painting. My ambition was aroused. I knew that words would not move anything in her view. So I photographed the window she also knows and made the metamorphoses. Now she takes photography a bit more seriously. She said she wished she had painted the middle top or bottom one.

This photo was taken a little after midnight - right when June 12th is beginning - with the flash on my tiny small-sensor Ricoh GRDiii, a camera which gets noticeably grainy at higher ISO's. The arboreal subject is an old black walnut tree that sits in front of my house and seems to survive everything its many years (and brutal weather changes) have thrown at it. But trying to photograph it in the darkness with the non-diffused direct flash was.....let's just say it was and is a fun experiment for me.

GRDiii_June12_BlackWalnut@midnight(SilverEfex).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I processed the monochrome version using the Silver Efex plugin on LR6.

You may have wondered the last seven days what the heck is this guy up to. So here's what it was all about. My 60 cm high panel.
View attachment 225509
A painter friend of mine was of the opinion that photography could only depict reality in a realistic or alienated way, but could not show reality as transformed as painting. Real art was in her eyes the realm of painting. My ambition was aroused. I knew that words would not move anything in her view. So I photographed the window she also knows and made the metamorphoses. Now she takes photography a bit more seriously. She said she wished she had painted the middle top or bottom one.
This works well visually. The colors, textures, and geometries contrast and complement in a pleasing way. I also like the imperfect symmetries. (y)

Last edited:
After I played with the the SMC Pentax 50 1.4 yesterday, I decided to do another test. I remembered that I had bought a K mount to Sony E when I first bought a used A7. I though I would use it for old adapted lenses since this seemed to be all the rage at the time. I tried it a few times and was disappointed with the results. I tried again with the A7Riii. I got the peaking to work but not the magnification since the body did not know when I was focusing with a fully manual lens, so I tried it on a a painting in my office. Here is a 100% off center crop of the 42 MP image, SOOC:
cropP50.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, the 50 did very well. I think the combination of IBIS and the bigger viewfinder compensated for the bad technique I must have been using on the A7.

Last edited:
Back