MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Matt
Start Date
Oct 15, 2020
End Date
Oct 15, 2020
The fourth of the prepared threads - due on Thursday.

Researching this was quite fun ... Though going back to Caesium seemed a bit cheap, in spite of Chernobyl and radioactive boar in the Swiss Alps this year.

However, 137 as a number is apparently huge in cosmology; hence this:

So, maybe the answer's not 42, but 137 (or pretty close ...).

M.

Last edited:

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
The pepperoncini peppers have been picked, and they have come in from the garden. Just looking at them, makes my mouth water. Which makes me wonder: can a camera's mouth water, metaphorically speaking?

GRII_Pepperoncini(VSCO).jpg

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Lexington's two colleges, W&L and VMI, have a small gorge that runs through both. VMI has these really long staircases that get you from the creek level to their main campus. They recently rebuilt a big one and installed LED lighting. As the mornings have been getting darker, I noticed that these light are not only bright but form a lightning-like pattern. I took some shots this morning. I may try again when more of the leaves have fallen.
LEDStairs.jpg

It's a bear to expose these shots since the LEDs are so bright. I also tried a B&W conversion:
LEDStairsBW.jpg

Not an improvement, and it's harder to figure our what you are looking at. While trying the options in ACR, I ran the pointer over the IR conversion setting, and got this:
NoIR.jpg

I'm not sure how the conversion works, but I know those LEDS have very little IR in their spectrum. My nerdy soul was amused.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Matt
Oh, it's only 3200. 🥱
I know, I know. But I had to look at the number to believe my eyes ;) Detail loss at 100% is zero. Acuity is so good I really don't feel the need for more pixels; actually, the Z 50 is only about one half stop behind - amazing. Sometimes, I get the impression that the Z 50 is even better at pixel level, but it's intriguing enough that it's basically a wash at ISO 3200. All this saves a lot of money ... I really don't think I need a Z 7 (II). Hence my leaning towards compact FF solutions ATM ... not that I needed it. But I like the fact that things are moving in that direction.

M.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom