Daily Challenge Day to Day 137

Name
Matt
Start Date
Oct 15, 2020
End Date
Oct 15, 2020
The fourth of the prepared threads - due on Thursday.

Researching this was quite fun ... Though going back to Caesium seemed a bit cheap, in spite of Chernobyl and radioactive boar in the Swiss Alps this year.

However, 137 as a number is apparently huge in cosmology; hence this:

So, maybe the answer's not 42, but 137 (or pretty close ...).

M.

Last edited:
The pepperoncini peppers have been picked, and they have come in from the garden. Just looking at them, makes my mouth water. Which makes me wonder: can a camera's mouth water, metaphorically speaking?

GRII_Pepperoncini(VSCO).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lexington's two colleges, W&L and VMI, have a small gorge that runs through both. VMI has these really long staircases that get you from the creek level to their main campus. They recently rebuilt a big one and installed LED lighting. As the mornings have been getting darker, I noticed that these light are not only bright but form a lightning-like pattern. I took some shots this morning. I may try again when more of the leaves have fallen.
LEDStairs.jpg

It's a bear to expose these shots since the LEDs are so bright. I also tried a B&W conversion:
LEDStairsBW.jpg

Not an improvement, and it's harder to figure our what you are looking at. While trying the options in ACR, I ran the pointer over the IR conversion setting, and got this:
NoIR.jpg

I'm not sure how the conversion works, but I know those LEDS have very little IR in their spectrum. My nerdy soul was amused.

Oh, it's only 3200. 🥱
I know, I know. But I had to look at the number to believe my eyes ;) Detail loss at 100% is zero. Acuity is so good I really don't feel the need for more pixels; actually, the Z 50 is only about one half stop behind - amazing. Sometimes, I get the impression that the Z 50 is even better at pixel level, but it's intriguing enough that it's basically a wash at ISO 3200. All this saves a lot of money ... I really don't think I need a Z 7 (II). Hence my leaning towards compact FF solutions ATM ... not that I needed it. But I like the fact that things are moving in that direction.

M.

This was my sardonic way of agreeing with you. I’m amazed that 3200 has become so ho hum. My auto iso on the A7R3 has 12800 as an upper limit. Shots at this iso are surprisingly good.

Back