Daily Challenge Day to Day 15

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jun 15, 2020
End Date
Jun 15, 2020
1+2+3+4+5

(Sorry, a full day of pretty constant work with too few breaks ... end of term approaching, two weeks and a bit to go ...)

Please note:
I'll almost certainly fumble a couple of thread starts in the coming days - don't be too dismayed, just do it yourself. It's going to be tough, but I'll try to keep it going. Don't mind me - do your thing!

M.

1+2+3+4+5

(Sorry, a full day of pretty constant work with too few breaks ... end of term approaching, two weeks and a bit to go ...)

Please note:
I'll almost certainly fumble a couple of thread starts in the coming days - don't be too dismayed, just do it yourself. It's going to be tough, but I'll try to keep it going. Don't mind me - do your thing!

M.
Matt,

I hope the rest of the term goes well for you and your students. I understand the effort that goes into ending an term. Will you get a break or begin another term immediately? I had several classes that began within a couple of days of the term ending.

1+2+3+4+5

Please note:

M.
I remember these phases of the year too well, Matt, with all the extra work and additional stress. I'm glad I can look back on it.
Wishing you a lot of energy for the coming weeks. And don't forget to relax in the evenings for a short time with a glass of good French red wine ... it helps coming back to realizing the things that are really important in life. The good thing about this phase: holidays are in sight. ;)

Last edited:
P5303107.3-3D1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Insomnia had me once again down in the workshop well before 0400 this morning. Yesterday I carefully carved my logo in the headstock of the baritone neck, then filled the cavity with a slurry of epoxy finishing resin and Walnut dust. After letting it cure overnight, I carefully shaved and sanded away the excess. This diptych shows the neck this morning before and after the logo was revealed. Smooth as a baby's bottom, and a light wash of shellac right after the second image was taken brought out the final color of the logo, a rich chocolate brown that goes well with the rest of the wood.

I think I'll take a nap now.

Day 15.jpg

Matt,

I hope the rest of the term goes well for you and your students. I understand the effort that goes into ending an term. Will you get a break or begin another term immediately? I had several classes that began within a couple of days of the term ending.
I'll have six weeks without classes to teach - and a blissfully long summer because fairs and festivals are a no-no in Switzerland till the end of August; in my case this means that my usual fair duty (two weeks during summer for the community - for and through the orchestra, to be more precise) doesn't apply this year. As much as I'm into this community stuff, it's a chore as well, so I'm really looking forward to more spare time this year ... It has really been extraordinarily taxing. Photography has helped me through it all - as well as this community here ...

M.

A cloudy, gray day, went walking alongside the local railroad tracks. When I saw this concrete pipe - or concrete conduit or whatever its proper name may be - part of me immediately wondered whether in its depths, it might contain a hidden, tiny treasure - or a clue to some mystery, large or small.

KP_June15_concrete_Pipe.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Having taken the picture, I still can't help wondering... ;)

Insomnia had me once again down in the workshop well before 0400 this morning. Yesterday I carefully carved my logo in the headstock of the baritone neck, then filled the cavity with a slurry of epoxy finishing resin and Walnut dust. After letting it cure overnight, I carefully shaved and sanded away the excess. This diptych shows the neck this morning before and after the logo was revealed. Smooth as a baby's bottom, and a light wash of shellac right after the second image was taken brought out the final color of the logo, a rich chocolate brown that goes well with the rest of the wood.

I think I'll take a nap now.

View attachment 225779
What a nice comparison, Tony. I only hope when I play the guitar that I don't always see a baby's bottom before me, because the neck of my Taylor has the same feel.

Back