Daily Challenge Day to Day 155

We had a lot of rain. This is the culvert at the bottom on my driveway. The water gave the texture and colors of the leaves a pleasing subtlety yet a surprising "pop".
leaves1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
It's only two days after Halloween but... I still find myself missing parts of it. Not the trick-or-treaters this year - there were none, in the new pandemic-altered reality - but the costumed revelers on the street, the sense of pageant, the feeling that old rituals can somehow be re-enacted, in visible ways.

So, my Pumpkins - and the robed skeleton of Death who sits behind them clutching his toy scythe - are still sitting on my front porch.

EP3_Nov2_Death+Pumpkins.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's only two days after Halloween but... I still find myself missing parts of it. Not the trick-or-treaters this year - there were none, in the new pandemic-altered reality - but the costumed revelers on the street, the sense of pageant, the feeling that old rituals can somehow be re-enacted, in visible ways.

So, my Pumpkins - and the robed skeleton of Death who sits behind them clutching his toy scythe - are still sitting on my front porch.

View attachment 239304
You know, after reading "Reaper Man", Death actually became one of my favourite Discworld characters ... and this doesn't half look like him ;)

It's important that someone cares - even if HE's the ultimate reality ... I think the fact that Terry Pratchett created several characters like him (or even more humane) that has a major pull for me: They're cynical to the bone, but can't not care: "Those who can have to speak up for those as can't." (Granny Weatherwax, the senior witch who really hates having to be the "good" one ... because the bad ones get all the fun.)

M.

You know, after reading "Reaper Man", Death actually became one of my favourite Discworld characters ... and this doesn't half look like him ;)

It's important that someone cares - even if HE's the ultimate reality ... I think the fact that Terry Pratchett created several characters like him (or even more humane) that has a major pull for me: They're cynical to the bone, but can't not care: "Those who can have to speak up for those as can't." (Granny Weatherwax, the senior witch who really hates having to be the "good" one ... because the bad ones get all the fun.)

M.
I've read dozens of the Discworld novels - but "Reaper Man" is not among them -- THANK YOU, Matt! You've just made my day, another Discworld novel awaits... which in a year and a season filled with often difficult news, is a great piece of news for me.

As a side note, some of Mr. Pratchett's We Free Men series are among my favorites - and hearing lines of dialogue from some of them will still provoke uncontrollable laughter or grins, in yours truly.

I've read dozens of the Discworld novels - but "Reaper Man" is not among them -- THANK YOU, Matt! You've just made my day, another Discworld novel awaits... which in a year and a season filled with often difficult news, is a great piece of news for me.

As a side note, some of Mr. Pratchett's We Free Men series are among my favorites - and hearing lines of dialogue from some of them will still provoke uncontrollable laughter or grins, in yours truly.
All Tiffany Aching novels are eminently readable, even the last one which - due to his illness and impending death (ha!) appears a bit hodgepodge, but the core is true Pratchett to the very end.

I have read *all* Discworld novels multiple times - it's my way of relaxing (if I'm in the mood, Neil Gaiman's stuff works, too). I even have seasonal favourites :)

Upcoming (always around early December) is "Hogfather"; after that, it's "Good Omens" for me (not Discworld, but Pratchett/Gaiman - great stuff) ... looking forward to both.

Besides, should you enjoy "Reaper Man", "Mort" and, of all things, "Soul Music" are a must (that's another one of those deep ones). And if you're a Shakespeare fan, "Wyrd Sisters" is "Macbeth" with a twist ... aye, many a one ...

M.

Back