Daily Challenge Day to Day 160

PB054665.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This could be the emptiest space if we were talking ASCII: ASCII Code 160 is

(Space ;))

(I was a bit astonished how mundane 160 turned out to be ... 5*2^5 was all I could come up with, and not even the trivia run unearthed anything more inspiring ...)

M.
Code 160, the final frontier.

In Southern Oregon where I have lived for three decades, a bike path runs along the 'greenway' - a beautiful forested area adjacent to a small local river, Bear Creek - for miles and miles, connecting most of the local towns and cities. The part of the bicycle path which runs between Talent (the town where I live) and Ashland, to the south (where I lived formerly), spans approximately 4 to 5 miles (6.5 to 8 kilometers, give or take) - and I've ridden along it in summer, spring, fall and winter - hundreds and possibly thousands of times over the years. A little more than a month ago, much of it burned, in an apocalyptic conflagaration which started as a small fire but was driven by powerful winds, and further fueled by what now most thoughtful humans attribute to the extended (and more and more deadly) 'fire seasons', exacerbated by global warming.

Over the last several weeks, crews have been downing and felling and partially clearing the burned trees - of the forested areas through which the bike path snakes its way. This morning - a cool November day - I rode my bicycle along my favorite route which I have ridden so many times before. What I saw and experienced was... stunning. I'm taking the unusual liberty of attaching two instead of one Day-to-Day photos, since the subject merits it. The greenway was always, well, very green - but now the visible rich greenery is no more.

GRII_Nov7_Burned_Bike_Path#1.jpg

Going through it, one has to believe that much of what was burned, will come back in one or another way, over the coming years. What was truly surprising to me is - with the trees, bushes and thick vegetation literally burned to nothingness - with often only charred tree skeletons remaining - one can see the contours of the land much more clearly - the ups and down, the declivities and small hilly rises - which have never been visible before.

GRII_Nov7_Burned_Bike_Path#2.jpg

I feel fortunate to be able to bike along here again, even with the altered landscape. Somehow, for us bipeds who are part of the fauna, as well as for the immensely varied flora... existence - and life - goes on.

Last edited:
I feel fortunate to be able to bike along here again, even with the altered landscape. Somehow, for us bipeds who are part of the fauna, as well as for the immensely varied flora... existence - and life - goes on.
Six or seven years ago, some farmland our church owned, and where we built our new building, was set afire on a hot, windy October Saturday when a nearby homeowner had not one, but two piles of leaves burning in his yard. The wind, blowing directly over his property, carried embers into our forest and started what at the time seemed like a large fire. I actually got some images the next morning of the damage using a camera mounted on a model airplane.

By the next Spring, greenery was sprouting in the burned out areas, and within a few years, one couldn't even tell there had ever been a fire. While yours is far more extensive, given enough time, it will recover.

Back