Daily Challenge Day to Day 174

Name
Matt
Start Date
Nov 21, 2020
End Date
Nov 21, 2020
115 years ago, Einstein's most famous formula was first published in "Annalen der Physik" (annals of physics) in his seminal paper on the mass-energy equivalence: E=mc^2

M.

A fascinating character. I'm just reading his book "The World As I See It".
"To inquire after the meaning or object of one's own existence or of creation generally has always seemed to me absurd from an objective point of view. And yet everybody has certain ideals which determine the direction of his endeavours and his judgments. In this sense I have never looked upon ease and happiness as ends in themselves - such an ethical basis I call more proper for a herd of swine. The ideals which have lighted me on my way and time after time given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Truth, Goodness, and Beauty."

PB204977.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been inspired by a handful double-exposure images which I've seen, both in our ongoing Day-to-Day series and in some of the other Cameraderie forums - and I realized at least one of my cameras, the Pen F, has a built-in dedicated double-exposure 'function'. So what the hell! I decided to try it. But in the quiet hours and darkness after midnight, when the whole world is asleep, there aren't quite as many subjects that came to me easily. So I picked two old stand-bys --- the bookshelf behind my writing desk, and what I saw in the mirror.

PenF_Double_Exposure.jpg

I've been inspired by a handful double-exposure images which I've seen, both in our ongoing Day-to-Day series and in some of the other Cameraderie forums - and I realized at least one of my cameras, the Pen F, has a built-in dedicated double-exposure 'function'. So what the hell! I decided to try it. But in the quiet hours and darkness after midnight, when the whole world is asleep, there aren't quite as many subjects that came to me easily. So I picked two old stand-bys --- the bookshelf behind my writing desk, and what I saw in the mirror.

View attachment 240899
Welcome in the club, Miguel. The more I delve into this, the more this feature of the camera fascinates me. It's easy to do overlays with Photoshop, but live it's much more tricky and surprising as to the results. A friend of mine who's been doing it for years with portraits of musicians produces astounding results (Rolf Schoellkopf concert images).

Last edited:
To try out the X-S10, I decided to drive over to another small town 6 miles away called Buena Vista. if Lexington is white collar, BV is blue collar. I'll post more of these is a separate post because I really need my office computer to work through these shots efficiently. While walking around, however, I was fortunate enough to catch the train going through. This shot certainly captures some of the flavor of the place.
train169.jpg

115 years ago, Einstein's most famous formula was first published in "Annalen der Physik" (annals of physics) in his seminal paper on the mass-energy equivalence: E=mc^2

M.
Sometimes I am surprised how much people assume about Einstein‘s relationship to the atomic bomb. The equation relating energy and mass was published about 40 years before Hiroshima. Einstein did write a letter to Roosevelt encouraging him to pursue research into an fission bomb because of his fear that the Nazis would get it first. Still, he never did any actual work for the Manhattan project. We often see the above equation associated with a mushroom cloud, but that’s because a nuclear weapon is the most obvious experimental proof of this equation’s predictions. It’s very sad that for many people Einstein is the face of the atomic bomb, when so many other scientists did so much more. Please note that I’m not saying that the sophisticated membership of this illustrious forum are among these people. 🤯

To try out the X-S10, I decided to drive over to another small town 6 miles away called Buena Vista. if Lexington is white collar, BV is blue collar. I'll post more of these is a separate post because I really need my office computer to work through these shots efficiently. While walking around, however, I was fortunate enough to catch the train going through. This shot certainly captures some of the flavor of the place.
View attachment 240931
I remember going to a picnic in Buena Vista some 34-ish years ago. My wife worked at VA Power at the time, and there was a company picnic at a scenic park along a small river. Only time I was ever in that town.

Back