Daily Challenge Day to Day 20

What sheperds call a "jiggit" (a term Terry Pratchett highjacked in a very endearing way in one of his novels ...) - a full score, at that.

M.

Being a long-term and often serious Terry Pratchett addict and fan, I have to ask you, Matt - do you recall offhand which novel it was, when you first encountered the term "jiggit"? It sounds to me like something one of the Wee Wee Free Men - aka the Nac Mac Feegle - might have used?

Being a long-term and often serious Terry Pratchett addict and fan, I have to ask you, Matt - do you recall offhand which novel it was, when you first encountered the term "jiggit"? It sounds to me like something one of the Wee Wee Free Men - aka the Nac Mac Feegle - might have used?
The first Tiffany Aching novel - it's Granny Aching's pet name for Tiffany ... got it right here ... "The Wee Free Men" :)

M.

You got the linguist in me hooked, Matt. And as Miguel already got hooked as well with Terry Pratchett I thought this might be of interest.
It is the full set of numbers from one to twenty (jiggit) in counting sheep. Reaching twenty, a stone was put in the pocket and ... same procedure again as often as needed.

Attachments

• Jiggit.jpg
    Jiggit.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
The binding channel has been cut and the first piece of Rosewood binding bent and glued in place. A small block plane and a scraper are used to remove the excess wood above the surface of the soundboard. The second piece of binding is waiting its turn. On some previous instruments I have installed bindings top and bottom, but in this case bindings will go around the soundboard only.

DSCF0064.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After a full, inspiring, but somewhat risky day (lots of people around - played at a wedding *and* at a birthday party, though both outside, but not without some contact to people ...), I have to make do with a safety ...

DSC_2899.jpg

I'm going to shoot with this combo tomorrow - and maybe the whole of July (I'll try to run two challenges alongside each other - this might make the "Single in" combo slot; the "Day to Day" one will remain flexible).

M.

The part of southern Oregon where I live was transformed in the 19th century when white settlers of European stock began to arrive in increasing numbers, displacing and killing the native peoples who inhabited the area for thousands of years. Though the indigenous peoples were not pacifistic, and occasionally attacked or killed one another, their lifestyles and lifecycles, which were often predicated on and around the changing seasons, survived. But those same lifestyles were decimated in the so-called 'Indian wars' which spanned several centuries and were more akin to modern genocide.

Here and there, outside some small towns, there are small historic (19th century) cemeteries where the surviving settlers buried their dead. Some of the funeral inscriptions are shorthand for their version of bloody events. It's sobering to see them today, and consider some of the the underlying precepts and morals, or lack thereof, which were used in justification of all kinds of things.

GX8_June20_1853_Gravestone(AnalEfex).jpg

Two upcoming family birthdays sent me out to my first shopping stop in weeks. This is a great store and they were being extremely careful with following safety guidelines. Still this involved driving into the big city where much transmission has occurred due to the early and rushed openings.
Since people I live with attended some of the big marches for equality we are all being tested. Thursday did one at local county site. Haven't heard the results yet, but I am experiencing no symptoms.
DA4B1B3C-BBA5-4084-82D6-576A6485B8DD_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Back