Daily Challenge Day to Day 204

Name
Matt
Start Date
Dec 21, 2020
End Date
Dec 21, 2020
The winter solistice was the most important date in the neolithic (and still is in most agricultural societies).

Here's one of the oldest sites that provide us with evidence of this:

It's almost two thousand years older than Stonehenge, too ...

(btw. The actual solistice is at 10:03 UTC this year - just for those who want to know ...)

M.

PC135543.4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Sometimes things just don't work out, despite our best efforts. After leveling and recrowning the frets, I was not at all satisfied with how they looked. The finish and fit just seemed inconsistent to me, despite a lot of time spent shaping and polishing. I decided to redo the whole fretboard, so I'm now very carefully removing each fret, and restarting the fretting process. A real pain, but preferable in my mind to settling for what I saw as a second rate result.

DSCF3625.JPG

Sometimes things just don't work out, despite our best efforts. After leveling and recrowning the frets, I was not at all satisfied with how they looked. The finish and fit just seemed inconsistent to me, despite a lot of time spent shaping and polishing. I decided to redo the whole fretboard, so I'm now very carefully removing each fret, and restarting the fretting process. A real pain, but preferable in my mind to settling for what I saw as a second rate result.

View attachment 243537
Sorry to hear that. But I'm sure you'd be angry for the rest of your life if there was a buzzing string somewhere only because you left it with "good enough". This little bugger in the back of our heads molesting us all the time because he's never content with our results can be a badass, but he always pushes us to the best results possible.

Have to fall back on a safety - I tried night(fall) shooting, but didn't get any worthwhile images (heart wasn't really in it).

Anyway, this happened this morning:

L1002772.jpg

I grabbed the closest camera (which happened to be the M8) since these moments often don't last. In this case, it hung around for some time though - very nice way to start the day.

M.

Many of the things I regret started with my thinking "good enough". How hard it is to take that thing apart?
I have to heat each fret with a small iron to loosen the glue, then very carefully run the sharp edge of a chisel under each fret to lift it just enough to get the edge of a small set of nippers under the fret. A gentle squeeze of the nipper from one side to the other will life the fret just enough to pull it out. I have to go very slowly to keep from pulling small chips from the wood slots.

Have to fall back on a safety - I tried night(fall) shooting, but didn't get any worthwhile images (heart wasn't really in it).

Anyway, this happened this morning:

View attachment 243542

I grabbed the closest camera (which happened to be the M8) since these moments often don't last. In this case, it hung around for some time though - very nice way to start the day.

M.
Had to change from wow to winner. The more I look at the photo the more I'm fascinated by these graded and soft hues of the morning sky behind the silhuetted tree. And even the dark shadows in the foreground show details.

Had to change from wow to winner. The more I look at the photo the more I'm fascinated by these graded and soft hues of the morning sky behind the silhuetted tree. And even the dark shadows in the foreground show details.
Thanks a lot, Walter - there's even more detail in the shadows; forum compression always crushes the dark areas ...

But anyway, I'm always impressed with what this 12 year* old camera puts out, too. I do hope it'll last me a long time still ...

*Mine was made in 2008.

M.

Back