Daily Challenge Day to Day 234

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jan 20, 2021
End Date
Jan 20, 2021
This turned out to be a surprisingly tough one ...

However, at least something surprising: There are 234 ways five children out of six can form a ring around another child if you allow them to turn around and change place. That's quite a lot of options ... Now imagine how many there have to be for twenty ...*

The problem isn't described optimally (though I'm convinced it's mathematically satisfying) here:

That's why I had to research it a bit.

Sorry, couldn't come up with anything more practical or funny ...

M.

*Actually, more than 849 quadrillion options ...

This turned out to be a surprisingly tough one ...

However, at least something surprising: There are 234 ways five children out of six can form a ring around another child if you allow them to turn around and change place. That's quite a lot of options ... Now imagine how many there have to be for twenty ...*

The problem isn't described optimally (though I'm convinced it's mathematically satisfying) here:

That's why I had to research it a bit.

Sorry, couldn't come up with anything more practical or funny ...

M.

*Actually, more than 849 quadrillion options ...
The funny thing about mathematicians is that they prove things (to show their importance) on which we normals wouldn't even spend a single thought ... and yet they've always come to results which are important to all mankind. I've always loved this aspect of homo ludens, although I missed this kind of delight (we had no math teacher for one and a half years in primary school).

P1115855.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back