Daily Challenge Day to Day 237

P1225940.3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 246869

I like this one even better than the one I posted in the "Landscape" thread ... Actually, I really enjoy quite a few of the shots taken today; it was difficult to select one for this thread.

M.
Many people pay a lot of money to spend their holidays in such a beautiful scenery. You're lucky to get it free for enjoying every day, Matt. This together with the lake is just about all man needs (except for an ocean shore from time to time).
Every time I'm in such a region I have the feeling of being protected by these mountain ranges surrounding me.

View attachment 246869

I like this one even better than the one I posted in the "Landscape" thread ... Actually, I really enjoy quite a few of the shots taken today; it was difficult to select one for this thread.

M.

I agree with you, Matt - I like THIS ONE better than the one you posted in the "Landscape" thread - this is, well sorry for repeating myself, but it's another GREAT photograph which you have produced with the fine Laowa lens and the camera whose fiddliness has been driving you nuts on and off. Personally, I'm delighted you have been using the GX9 lately - it's opened my eyes to the quality of the camera.

And - I know you've explained this before (at least I think you have), but I forgot, so I'll ask--- why does it just say 'Polar Photo Editor' beneath the image, instead of giving the camera+lens+EXIF info?

My entry for today is partially inspired by one of Matt's earlier posts (in the Single-in-January Challenge I think it was?) about wanting to shoot more with his 'instant' cameras (including one Instax). Reading that reminded me that I have not one but two 'instant' cameras which use Fuji Instax film - my 'other' (and quirkier) one is a Lomography Automat Glass which is tricky to use - in spite of the word 'Automat', it actually has a number of eccentric (to me, at least) controls, and it's harder to get good pictures from than my totally automated Instax. But this morning, I used my Automat to take a photo of an old chair that currently is sheltered beneath a huge pyracantha bush - and then it struck me that I could use my instant photo...as my subject for today's entry---

So....here it is: a photograph of my instant photo of an old chair - which I'm holding up in front of the chair itself.

GRII_Jan23_21_Polaroid_of_Chair.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I agree with you, Matt - I like THIS ONE better than the one you posted in the "Landscape" thread - this is, well sorry for repeating myself, but it's another GREAT photograph which you have produced with the fine Laowa lens and the camera whose fiddliness has been driving you nuts on and off. Personally, I'm delighted you have been using the GX9 lately - it's opened my eyes to the quality of the camera.

And - I know you've explained this before (at least I think you have), but I forgot, so I'll ask--- why does it just say 'Polar Photo Editor' beneath the image, instead of giving the camera+lens+EXIF info?
Uhm ...

Okay, two pieces of information - first and foremost, this is from the M10 with the 7Artisans 35mm f/2! The one in the "Landscape" thread is from the Laowa ... I actually played with the similarity of the two images (the path is the same, but I'm in completely different positions); furthermore, the two lenses have a surprisingly similar signature (which I think is quite intriguing), and I do process my images to look pretty consistent, even though I adjust settings to suit the image (and, of course, my preferences). I think it's a testament to the strenghts of the Laowa (and, agreed, the GX9) that the image coming from my much more frugal combo can be mistaken for one from a much more expensive setup. The little super-wide certainly is a gem ... And I promise I'll keep quiet about the foibles of the camera; in the grand scheme of things, they're really not that important. I'm just embarrassingly good at noticing them and pointing them out - déformation professionelle, I fear ...

The other thing annoys the heck out of me; here's the thing: With some cameras, notably the M10 and the E-M5 III, Polarr (my current "quick" editor I use most of the time when posting online) "eats" EXIF and spits out - this. I don't know why, and it seems arbitrary (for instance, the M8's and M 262's images get to keep their EXIF intact). There's no option to edit EXIF in Polarr as far as I'm aware - it's just a nuisance. That said, I've noticed that increasingly with other pieces of software that are equally "self-centered", I'm sure Pixlr did this to someone else's files just recently - sign of the times, perhaps (though hopefully passing now)? Just a random thought ...

M.

My entry for today is partially inspired by one of Matt's earlier posts (in the Single-in-January Challenge I think it was?) about wanting to shoot more with his 'instant' cameras (including one Instax). Reading that reminded me that I have not one but two 'instant' cameras which use Fuji Instax film - my 'other' (and quirkier) one is a Lomography Automat Glass which is tricky to use - in spite of the word 'Automat', it actually has a number of eccentric (to me, at least) controls, and it's harder to get good pictures from than my totally automated Instax. But this morning, I used my Automat to take a photo of an old chair that currently is sheltered beneath a huge pyracantha bush - and then it struck me that I could use my instant photo...as my subject for today's entry---

So....here it is: a photograph of my instant photo of an old chair - which I'm holding up in front of the chair itself.

View attachment 246921
That's a great shot, Miguel!

While I agree that it's a tricky camera to use, I absolutely adore the Automat Glass! That lens is fabulous (as is clearly visible in your shot!). Having said that, yes, the Neo 90 is much easier to shoot (especially in good light - no fiddling with ND filters!), and the Sofort even more so, thanks to the focus dial around the lens.

M.

Uhm ...

Okay, two pieces of information - first and foremost, this is from the M10 with the 7Artisans 35mm f/2! The one in the "Landscape" thread is from the Laowa ... I actually played with the similarity of the two images (the path is the same, but I'm in completely different positions); furthermore, the two lenses have a surprisingly similar signature (which I think is quite intriguing), and I do process my images to look pretty consistent, even though I adjust settings to suit the image (and, of course, my preferences). I think it's a testament to the strenghts of the Laowa (and, agreed, the GX9) that the image coming from my much more frugal combo can be mistaken for one from a much more expensive setup. The little super-wide certainly is a gem ... And I promise I'll keep quiet about the foibles of the camera; in the grand scheme of things, they're really not that important. I'm just embarrassingly good at noticing them and pointing them out - déformation professionelle, I fear ...

The other thing annoys the heck out of me; here's the thing: With some cameras, notably the M10 and the E-M5 III, Polarr (my current "quick" editor I use most of the time when posting online) "eats" EXIF and spits out - this. I don't know why, and it seems arbitrary (for instance, the M8's and M 262's images get to keep their EXIF intact). There's no option to edit EXIF in Polarr as far as I'm aware - it's just a nuisance. That said, I've noticed that increasingly with other pieces of software that are equally "self-centered", I'm sure Pixlr did this to someone else's files just recently - sign of the times, perhaps (though hopefully passing now)? Just a random thought ...

M.

Uh-oh...my bad! I initially thought the two photographs were from the same camera - but on looking at them once more, it's quite obvious that the ultra wide angle FOV of the Laowa lens...is significantly w-i-d-e-r than the 35mm field-of-view of the 7Artisans on your M10. Damn! how did I not notice that originally? The other thing that strikes me, looking at the two photos again, is that you seem to have processed the GX9/Laowa photo (in the 'Landscapes' thread) either more darkly or with more contrast or possibly both; the M10/7Artisans image seems lighter or perhaps brighter, with more shadow detail and, possibly, slightly more vivid colours. I'm attributing these differences more to the processing than to the different renderings of the different lenses and cameras, though... who can really say?

But you're totally correct - in that it's a tribute to the 'more frugal combo' that its images can stand up alongside those of a significantly more pricey camera set-up.

And at the end of the day, I like both images - but for quite a few reasons, I prefer the one you posted in this thread. But they are both striking - and, to me, wonderful - images.

Back