Daily Challenge Day to Day 238

P1225921.3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Finishing has begun on the guitar neck. Several thinned coats of shellac have primed the wood, bringing out the rich tones of the Mahogany. Compare the dark Mahogany neck to the Sapele ukulele neck in the background, which I'm using to test processes before I apply them to the guitar neck.

Next steps will be to use a munica with a very dilute mixture of shellac and alcohol to spread the extra fine pumice powder into the pores of the wood. That will prepare the surface for the final excruciatingly long process of French Polishing, an ancient finishing procedure that imparts a thin, lustrous finish to wood surfaces.

DSCF3762.JPG

When I moved to southern Oregon more than two decades ago, I learned about an old popular tradition - many older residents or families have old paintings of Crater Lake - a beautiful volcanic lake (and National Park), also in southern Oregon - which hang in their living rooms. Then, years ago, at a yard sale, I found an old painting of Crater Lake. It now hangs in the living room, just over the lintel which separates the small living room from the dining room - my own way of trying to perpetuate a strange local cultural tradition.

Here it is---

GRII_Jan24_21_Crater_Lake_painting.jpg

Back