Daily Challenge Day to Day 239

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jan 25, 2021
End Date
Jan 25, 2021
In spite of the fact that Steve chose to celebrate a little early, today's our 300th day of continues shooting! Yay!

Well, I guess since we're only a happy few, how about this:

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie."
(Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.) - Simonides

You knew this was coming, right? ;)

(N.B. Not my kind of movie at all, to be honest - but certainly a spectacle.)

Seriously, I think we can certainly "soldier on" without "dying tonight" - or however soon. Let's continue this - we'll make this (at least) a year!

M.

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie."
(Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.) - Simonides
:bowdown: Here we have one of the chosen few with humanistic education. I've just reached "slimline Latin".

:bowdown: Here we have one of the chosen few with humanistic education. I've just reached "slimline Latin".
Nah - I'm nothing but a historian who knows about the Simonides quote; the rest was a quick web search away (look up "Thermopylae"). That said, my Latin was(!) quite good when I was younger - it too has faded after 25 years of unuse, of course.

A little biographical story: When moving to Switzerland, I had to choose between English and Greek (in Germany, I was in what was called a "humanistic" highschool/gymnasium - Greek would have been my third language after Latin and English, not counting my mothertongue). Of course, I chose English - so my knowledge of Greek is anecdotal at best (though I once did a little course - but that was really just for fun, not running very deep at all).

In hindsight, I think I could have managed learning English on the side - I'm a language guy through and through. But at age 14, it didn't occur to me that this was something I should even attempt. In our school of some 1400 students, we would have been two to learn Greek - without me, the other guy was the only one! Those were the days when you could still do something like this. Today, they'd just tell you to forget about it - too expensive by far ...

M.

P1245964.1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm down to my last two strips of reverse kerf lining. Traditional instrument lining has the kerfs facing toward the inside of the instrument; I prefer the reverse version, which has the kerfed side glued to the instrument walls, and gives a much cleaner appearance inside the instrument.

Year before last I made enough reverse kerf lining for about 10 instruments. It took me several hours to do that, and since I didn't need it right away, I just decided to order some from a small mill. My last two pieces of Mahogany strips are shown in front, with the Basswood strips that arrived today. Either works fine for the application, but the Basswood is more tolerant of tight bends.

DSCF3772.JPG

It's embarrassing (or it feels that way, to me, at least) to admit that I have a digital camera that I like, but which I haven't used for... years. I fired it up today, went out and took a picture in the darkening afternoon light - of trees and bushes in front of my house, and the clouds above them. The camera used to be my 'daily driver' years ago - an 'oldie but goodie', so to speak - a very compact Lumix GX1. After I 'upgraded' to other cameras, I decided to do a (relatively inexpensive, at the time) conversion to IR or Infrared - so the little GX1 is my infrared camera. And, every time I shoot with it, I find the results... intriguing.

GX1_Jan25_21_Clouds&Trees(IR).jpg

This was taken with my inexpensive Chinese manual-focus only Pergear lens, a 25mm. I think the aperture was close to f/5.6 for this shot.

Back