Daily Challenge Day to Day 251

I know this is a little silly of me, but it's also quite well done and insightful - maybe it's something Walter can appreciate the most of us all (it's also a good thing for me as an occasional soloist):

M.
I did try playing Jazz for some time, learning from a book by Joe Pass. It broadened my understanding of melody lines and (quite queer finger-breaker) chords. But finally I quit. Probably because I found this quote (might be by Keith Richards):
A Jazz guitarist plays 1000 chords in front of three people. A rock guitarist plays three chords in front of a thousand.

I know one jazz tune, a ukulele version of "Amazing Grace". It took me about a month to really get it down to my liking. I'm a pedestrian player: I IV V VII works fine for me, with an occasional III or VI thrown in for variety. None of this diminished or augmented stuff!!

Well, I seem to have sparked quite something - it wasn't meant as a challenge in challenge, guys :)

Truth be told, 251 proved extremely difficult to "fill" with anything useful, and at least the guy did a nice job on performing the licks. I for one will try to get my chops back on the sax in the next couple of weeks, and this might add a bit of an incentive to noodle a bit more efficiently ...

M.

rather like it screaming
Keisuke Matsuno – guitar ( ensemble Timo Vollbrecht - FLY MAGIC)

pict-041.jpg

Following on the guitar theme, here's an update on my project. The neck, back, and sides of the guitar have received several coats of a dilute shellac mixture, consisting of one part shellac to around 10 parts pure grain alcohol. The alcohol flashes away within seconds, leaving behind a very light wash coat of shellac. My goal for this instrument is to have a minimalist, low gloss finish.

DSCF3860.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, I seem to have sparked quite something - it wasn't meant as a challenge in challenge, guys :)

Truth be told, 251 proved extremely difficult to "fill" with anything useful, and at least the guy did a nice job on performing the licks. I for one will try to get my chops back on the sax in the next couple of weeks, and this might add a bit of an incentive to noodle a bit more efficiently ...

M.
Part of the fascination with this thread have become your broad, varied and diverting introductions, Matt. :2thumbs:
And if you're getting some more reactions at times it shows that you've hit the right vibes. I couldn't have identified the musicians from such short licks, but it was interesting to follow. So keep entertaining us with these nice surprises. ;)

On my regular long walks - or bicycle rides - in and around the small Oregon town (Talent) where I live - and which was partially burned in an apocalyptic wildfire more than 5 months ago, I frequently pass the remains of what used to be houses or businesses. Many of them are getting 'cleaned up' right now - part of the long process of a slow rebuild - but some sites seem unchanged.

On my bicycle ride this morning, something about this particular burned house caught my eye: I think it was the charred skeleton of what used to be a BBQ, rising up amidst the rubble. So I stopped and took a few pictures (I just happened to have my GRii in my waist-pack). My entry today is not one but two photos because... well, because they really 'go together', in a way.

The first is a wider angle of the burned house (with the BBQ clearly visible in the foreground)---

GRII_Feb6_21_BBQ_in_burned_house.jpg

The second is a small detail from in front of it, literally invisible in the first photo, but which caught my eye - the burned metal pan which seems to have survived slightly better than the assorted charred and broken fragments of things that didn't---

GRII_Feb6_21_Metal_bowl_in_burned_house.jpg

I don't always use the Wide Conversion lens on my Ricoh - it turns a tiny pocketable camera into more of a 'handfull' - but most of the time that I do, I find myself enjoying the wider angles and field of view it makes possible.

Following on the guitar theme, here's an update on my project. The neck, back, and sides of the guitar have received several coats of a dilute shellac mixture, consisting of one part shellac to around 10 parts pure grain alcohol. The alcohol flashes away within seconds, leaving behind a very light wash coat of shellac. My goal for this instrument is to have a minimalist, low gloss finish.

View attachment 248114
Another beauty nearing completion. Seeing the instrument is one thing, touching it reveals the job you've done. It's amazing how different the "feeling" of different varnishes can be.

Back