Daily Challenge Day to Day 260

If I have seen a little farther, it is because I have stood on the toes of giants.

shoes.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK, for many of you a couple of inches of snow is nothing. But here in southeast Texas, we have ~3" of snow and it's going down to single digit F tonight.
In over 20 years there has only been a couple of light snow dustings.
And it is reported that tonight's temp is going to be the coldest recorded in 150 years...
Neighbor's water pipes are bursting all over.
6F384D85-E562-445E-AA32-896BBC644DA6_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Neighbor's water pipes are bursting all over.
If you have an outside faucet and have the ability to shut off the water to it from the inside, do so. Then go outside and open the faucet to drain the pipe, and leave the faucet open. Wrap the faucet and pipe with some foam pipe insulation, or at least several wraps with a thick towel, and make sure the wraps are secured with a few wraps of duct tape. A plumber taught me those tricks, and I leave my outside faucets like that all winter. Just make sure to close the outside faucet in the spring before you re-open the shut-off valve(s).

Another trick is to leave a tiny drip in your kitchen and bathroom faucets when the temp drops below about 20F outside. We've had a few plumbing issues through the years, and they can be nasty and expensive.

If you have an outside faucet and have the ability to shut off the water to it from the inside, do so. Then go outside and open the faucet to drain the pipe, and leave the faucet open. Wrap the faucet and pipe with some foam pipe insulation, or at least several wraps with a thick towel, and make sure the wraps are secured with a few wraps of duct tape. A plumber taught me those tricks, and I leave my outside faucets like that all winter. Just make sure to close the outside faucet in the spring before you re-open the shut-off valve(s).

Another trick is to leave a tiny drip in your kitchen and bathroom faucets when the temp drops below about 20F outside. We've had a few plumbing issues through the years, and they can be nasty and expensive.
Thanks for advice Tony. I have done most of the things you have noted. I was lucky enough to purchase two of the foam outside faucet covers last weekend after hearing this was coming. Thanks to the amazing weather forecasting tech we have today!
My main concern it our tankless water system in the attic. But I opened the access stairwell into the attic so the upstairs heated air is flowing up there. Should help unless our power goes out!

The bookshelves in my writing office are crammed, with all kinds of reading material. But as you can see from the expressions on the small faces of the denizens of those shelves, the thought of opening another book...doesn't seem to be putting anyone into a good mood.

X30_Feb15_21_KingKong&Nun.jpg

Maybe they just need to 'veg out', and watch a little TV, to put smiles back on their faces.

Back