Daily Challenge Day to Day 275

Name
Matt
Start Date
Mar 2, 2021
End Date
Mar 2, 2021
For Kurt Weill's - of "The Threepenny Opera"'s fame - birthday, here's Louis Armstrong performing the most famous song from that timeless play:

Listen carefully - he does some amazing side stuff and hidden commentary with the lyrics; quite ingenious and cheeky, really.

M.

P.S. Oh, and by he way: Just 30 days to go! We're right on track (y)

Who knows what lurks behind the Iron Door? Seriously, if you know, drop me a line because I'm really curious.
FeDoor.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another glass paper weight experiment with the Canon S95. I really miss cameras this size.
Closest I have that has a APC sensor, is the Nikon Coolpix A. It fits nicely in a coat pocket. But the S95 really is the perfect size for a pocket camera.
I guess that's how I ended here up in the former Serious Compacts group.
9859D7B8-CFAF-4C53-A7C2-AC81F76CE13E_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Another glass paper weight experiment with the Canon S95. I really miss cameras this size.
Closest I have that has a APC sensor, is the Nikon Coolpix A. It fits nicely in a coat pocket. But the S95 really is the perfect size for a pocket camera.
I guess that's how I ended here in the former Serious Compacts group.
View attachment 250599
I utterly loved mine - until some humongous piece of dust or debris found its way onto the sensor, and the cost of cleaning proved unreasonably high (almost as much as a GX9 would have cost at the time). I still have the S95 somewhere ... better not to think about it. Anyway, worthy shot!

I was greated by this when I left the house today ... Quite spectacular (though probably only accidental).

LM103128.jpg

First day of shooting with the Q7...which is possibly smaller (and cuter) than a bug's ear! These were taken with the 03 fish-eye lens, which Pentax calls a 'toy' lens, probably because of its all-plastic construction, its imprecise manual focus lever, and its extreme tendency towards flare. My subject - an ancient jalopy that was another victim of the recent wildfire, but still cuts an imposing figure---

Q7_Mar2_21_fish-eye_burned_jalopy.jpg

Here it is head-on---

Q7_Mar2_21_fish-eye_burned_jalopy_#2.jpg

Last but not least, a black & white version of another angle---

Q7_Mar2_21_fish-eye_burned_jalopy_#3(b&w).jpg

I think I like 'toy' lenses.

First day of shooting with the Q7...which is possibly smaller (and cuter) than a bug's ear! These were taken with the 03 fish-eye lens, which Pentax calls a 'toy' lens, probably because of its all-plastic construction, its imprecise manual focus lever, and its extreme tendency towards flare. My subject - an ancient jalopy that was another victim of the recent wildfire, but still cuts an imposing figure---

View attachment 250623

Here it is head-on---

View attachment 250624

Last but not least, a black & white version of another angle---

View attachment 250625

I think I like 'toy' lenses.
I suspect you'll like the Q7, Miguel. It's an amazingly well-designed small camera that's pleasure to use. This is an enthusiast camera built around the smallest of popular digital sensors. If that camera was scaled up to FF with the same control layout and menus, I'd think about buying it.

You also should pick up the 01 Prime, a roughly 50 1.8 prime lens. It's unreasonably sharp. If you have any money left, I can make more suggestions.

I suspect you'll like the Q7, Miguel. It's an amazingly well-designed small camera that's pleasure to use. This is an enthusiast camera built around the smallest of popular digital sensors. If that camera was scaled up to FF with the same control layout and menus, I'd think about buying it.

You also should pick up the 01 Prime, a roughly 50 1.8 prime lens. It's unreasonably sharp. If you have any money left, I can make more suggestions.

I actually do have the 01 Prime lens, Steve - the Pentaxian I bought it from included two lenses with the camera body, an 03 fish-eye and an 01 prime. I took one photo with it today, as well...here it is---

Q7_Mar2_21_two_burned_cars(01).jpg

Your comments about the Q7 are spot on: it's a very nicely-designed camera.

I think that shot is an example of what the Q + 01 does well. B&W and lots of details on lots of length scales. You get those slightly contrasty details with enough sharpness to make them pop a bit. It’s a good look for many subjects.

Back