Daily Challenge Day to Day 29

An old superstition from the previous century or two was that when a photographer took a photo of someone, that photo was somehow a theft of the subject's soul. I suspect this superstition may be predated by a similar sense of awe or possibly fear which some early peoples may have had when they first glimpsed an artist's rendition of them. Another theory holds that, by photographing (or painting) someone in the middle of a particular action - the subject will be forever frozen in time, metaphorically condemned to continue in (whatever the act or action may have been).

In the case of a photograph of a painting - whose subject is an artist making a painting - it give one food for thought. Which is exactly what the primate artist in the small painting (on a beer bottle, of all places) was giving me (food for thought) moments before I took this photo.

X30_June29_ManicIPA(ClassicChrome).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My rational side scoffs at old superstitions, but somewhere buried deep, my irrational side wonders if the simian artist in this photo ... is still painting, in some some metaphysical realm. Or maybe he finished the painting and went off to have a beer ;)

Black Walnut is a porous wood, and sealing the grain is required if one wants a glassy smooth surface. Here the back of the ukulele has received a thin coat of epoxy resin. When the resin has cured, I'll scrape it carefully to level the surface, then apply another coat. Then I'll scrape as much of it off as possible, and sand all the way back to bare wood. At that point, the pores will be filled and ready for the finish coats. I'll repeat the same steps for each side of the body.

DSCF0080.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back