Daily Challenge Day to Day 42

P1025150.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is an easy one - except for picking the entertaining link ... well, let's just make it a couple ...

M.
:hmmm: :hiding: very interesting, but ... too high for my Maths understandings. I must somehow have followed most of the lessons in deepest trance or all that knowledge has passed over to the cloud of forgetting. But I have to admit: the world of numbers is highly interesting. I regret never having had a single teacher being able to open my mind to these beautiful chests of wisdom and having passed on this special fascination.

:hmmm: :hiding: very interesting, but ... too high for my Maths understandings. I must somehow have followed most of the lessons in deepest trance or all that knowledge has passed over to the cloud of forgetting. But I have to admit: the world of numbers is highly interesting. I regret never having had a single teacher being able to open my mind to these beautiful chests of wisdom and having passed on this special fascination.
Walter, just skip the nerdy stuff - I can't help it, but it's really not compulsory to suffer through it ;)

FXE36165.jpg

M.

Walter, just skip the nerdy stuff - I can't help it, but it's really not compulsory to suffer through it ;)

Don't bother about me, keep posting them, Matt. I don't suffer at all ... just always trying to find out how far my grey cells go.
According to scientists it's considered good medecine to keep dementia and Alzheimer's at distance. So I'll go on trying. ;)

These pieces are the remains of a plank of wood that used to be part of a series of old shadow boxes that hung around a set of light fixtures in one of our rooms. When we remodeled almost 20 years ago and I removed the boxes, I stacked the planks on top of a cabinet in our garage for "later use". As the pieces were all rough cut and painted on all surfaces, I didn't know what the species was until years later. When I finally began using the wood for various projects, it all turned out to be Yellow Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera. Or so I thought.

A few months ago I pulled one of the pieces down and realized it was much heavier than the others. As soon as I sliced off one end of a piece to check the end grain, I realized it wasn't Poplar. Once I surface planed the board and used a magnifying glass to carefully examine the grain, I realized I had a nice piece of Black Cherry. Can't imagine how it got thrown in with a bunch of Poplar and painted the ugly brown you see on the larger piece. So this board was instantly destined to be part of one of my musical instruments. You can see some of the offcuts here, including the 3-piece neck with a Granadillo core. Not sure what will become of these pieces, but they definitely won't go in the fireplace.

DSCF0097.JPG

I spent several years obsessively photographing every fire hydrant I saw or passed alongside. Then, gradually, I weaned myself of the obsession. But this morning, walking around the small Oregon town I live, I realized that the normally minimal fire hydrant next to the train tracks, had received a large mechanical implant of an unspecified variety. I'm not mechanically inclined so I couldn't really begin to speculate as to its purpose --- but its lines appealed to me, so out came the X30...

X30_July12_Fire_Hydrant(VSCOPortraAlt).jpg

Back