Daily Challenge Day to Day 61

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jul 31, 2020
End Date
Jul 31, 2020
We've now doubled our continuous days of posting since switching to a rolling model - and the "Day to Day" challenge WILL continue past the end of July, of course.

As or references, this may be one for the baseball fans, dramatised in the 2001 movie "61*", but here's a slightly different angle on the sport:

(For the record, this came up when I searched Numberphile for "Babe Ruth"; that name sprang from the information about "61*".)

M.

P1025405.3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This final July D2D also brings to a close the work on my baritone ukulele project. I put the strings on it this morning around 0500. I've tried playing it some, but the new strings are still not adequately stretched and it won't stay in tune long. I do like its tone, though, and it has incredible sustain. More images in my "Woodcraft" thread.

DSCF0122.JPG

This final July D2D also brings to a close the work on my baritone ukulele project. I put the strings on it this morning around 0500. I've tried playing it some, but the new strings are still not adequately stretched and it won't stay in tune long. I do like its tone, though, and it has incredible sustain. More images in my "Woodcraft" thread.

View attachment 230586
Hi Tony,
again a beauty finished. Congratulations, a great job ! :bravo-009:

As to keeping new strings quicker in tune I got a phantastic hint years ago from a pro:
1. pull each string in the middle in 90° away from the guitar top (carefully, no overdoing) just in between 5 to 10 cm,
2. repeat several times retuning the string after each pulling,
3. go in between the 7th and 12th fret and play strong bendings, bending each string with two or three fingers over almost all the neck width within a fret,
4. repeat with all strings at several positions (sounding like Clapton) and retune constantly,
5. tune the instrument again and leave it to rest a day or two (or play it immediately like I've often done),
Surprise, surprise ... you pick up the instrument, it's in tune and stays so for a long time.:cloud-9-039:

L2623574.jpg

I notice I had lens recognition turned off ... Well, to be honest, I felt a bit underwhelmed with my images today (so far - I may venture out later when the heat isn't as oppressive as it is now), but also with the performance of the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8. It's probably too hot for me to work properly; I'll come back to that lens in any case ...

M.

My older brother, who knows me very well, gave me a birthday present several year ago which surprised me when I first saw - and heard it - but which I have since come to love: it is a tiny toy Goat which, when you push it down on its 'base' - emits a horrifying (and to some, doubtless horrifyingly irritating) little screaming sound. It sits on my writing desk in a place of honor and on days when the latest news headlines threaten to unhinge me, I press on it---

X30_July31_Screaming_goat.jpg

But most of the time it just stands there and stares accusingly at the larger-than-lifesize world around it.

Back