Daily Challenge Day to Day 73

Name
Matt
Start Date
Aug 12, 2020
End Date
Aug 12, 2020

Ham radio! Another one of those hobbies that seems to have vanished from the face of the earth (of course, it hasn't).

Also, apart from 73 being a "emirp" of 37 (a prime whose mirror iage is also a prime), both 37 and 73 are star numbers:

1597178753948.png

That's aesthetically pleasing any way you look at it :)

M.

A couple more of the dust-coverd toys hanging around my shop. I built both the USS Enterprise and Mars Lander in my teen years. Both have been launched - once. The flight profiles of both were unimpressive, so I put them on permanent display, and they have somehow managed to survive multiple moves through 38 years of marriage.

DSCF0151.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some of the best burritos in the universe can be found in Ashland, Oregon, at the Simple Café, right next to the local hardware store. Its founder, head chef and resident genius, Javier, delivers epicurean fare for bargain-basement prices.

X30_Aug12_Simple_Cafe.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He also adds a dose of good vibes to every creation.

A couple more of the dust-coverd toys hanging around my shop. I built both the USS Enterprise and Mars Lander in my teen years. Both have been launched - once. The flight profiles of both were unimpressive, so I put them on permanent display, and they have somehow managed to survive multiple moves through 38 years of marriage.

View attachment 232012
I had that lander. The biggest thing I ever built was the Saturn 1B model from Estes.
I converted the engine mount to take a single D engine and not the multiple smaller engines because I could never get that simultaneous ignition thing to work. I was able to fly it once with only repairable damage. 🤓

I had that lander. The biggest thing I ever built was the Saturn 1B model from Estes.
I converted the engine mount to take a single D engine and not the multiple smaller engines because I could never get that simultaneous ignition thing to work. I was able to fly it once with only repairable damage. 🤓
I still have the Saturn V gathering dust on a shelf in my basement. I did launch it a few times on "D" clusters. The trick to a cluster is to use a tiny wad of recovery tissue to hold the igniter tightly in the motor nozzle, and make sure your parallel leads are wound tightly and you have a good clean connection and a strong electrical source - meaning something other than alkalines.

I still have the Saturn V gathering dust on a shelf in my basement. I did launch it a few times on "D" clusters. The trick to a cluster is to use a tiny wad of recovery tissue to hold the igniter tightly in the motor nozzle, and make sure your parallel leads are wound tightly and you have a good clean connection and a strong electrical source - meaning something other than alkalines.
We always used a car battery. IIRC, the Mythbusters also struggled mightily with cluster ignition. Of course, I don't remember it being as funny when we tired to do it.

Back