Nikon Dead Cameras Walking - Shooting the Nikon V1 and J5!

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
About a month ago I noticed Nikon 1 fire sales popping up and even though I had tried the V1 several years ago and initially disliked the system, I had the urge to give it another try. I've been messing with the Nikon 1 raw files and noticed they clean up nicely using presets I've crafted over the years using M43 and Sony FF mirrorless. Initially I picked up a used V1 and started customizing presets specifically for the CX sensor. Afterwards I became interested in the J5 mainly for the better high ISO performance.

Today I shot with both cameras side-by-side. The V1 does great in sunny Los Angeles light and tracks very well, yielding a high keeper rate, while the J5 works great in lower light conditions, especially as a discreet street camera with it's no-blackout, electronic only shutter. While I wish it had an EVF, for wider focal lengths the flip out rear LCD works great.

Also I want to mention the 10-100mm non-PD VR is probably the best super zoom I've ever used, due to it's small size, but amazing focal range. It's quite sharp end-to-end at least on the 10mp V1! Anyways check out the shots!

Everything shot with the V1 and J5 with the 10-100mm non-PD VR and 10mm 2.8 Pancake:

45886286151_a50ecd1fd9_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_001
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

45886283641_018b228056_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_003

32015094098_a575ebe70e_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_002

44972906535_e1aa7c35a0_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_031

44973026495_592a74e923_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_008

45162113794_277c1c1919_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_022

32015051988_4caeb2207c_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_034

44972944965_cf7bde6edc_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_011

44069759260_2c49d3cf3b_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_005

45162117194_dd1660dc03_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_020

44069797910_a5ee717a11_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_032

44069736510_8605b841f7_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_J5_FRIOLO_015

44972912445_bd3c587a2e_b.jpg

181114_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_025

The complete set can be seen here:
181114_DTLA_NIKON1_PHOTOS_FRIOLO

Last edited:
Nice images :) And to fuel a little bit of GAS: The two really desirable lenses for the 1 system are the 18.5mm f/1.8 (I still own the V1 with just that lens - that setup's a real keeper!) and the 32mm f/1.2 ...

That's not to say that the 10mm f/2.8 isn't a solid performer - and I have to say the often bad-mouthed 10-100mm does a good job as well.

M.

Nice images :) And to fuel a little bit of GAS: The two really desirable lenses for the 1 system are the 18.5mm f/1.8 (I still own the V1 with just that lens - that setup's a real keeper!) and the 32mm f/1.2 ...

That's not to say that the 10mm f/2.8 isn't a solid performer - and I have to say the often bad-mouthed 10-100mm does a good job as well.

M.

I have the 18.5mm, but I wanted to test the J5 in higher ISO conditions. I usually reserve the 18.5mm for taking snaps of my kid while at the park. :D

Great shots! I use the 1" sensor cameras more as I moved from GM1/GM5 use as Panasonic stopped the product line... I was interested in Nikon to release a 20 MPX + EVF camera to match 70-300mm lens but it never happened also...

Great shots! I use the 1" sensor cameras more as I moved from GM1/GM5 use as Panasonic stopped the product line... I was interested in Nikon to release a 20 MPX + EVF camera to match 70-300mm lens but it never happened also...

The Nikon J5 is really unique because I don't know of any other MILC without a mechanical shutter. It's quite instantaneous and dead quiet. In fact I had to activate the AF sound just so I know I'm about to take a photo! :D

I think this camera should be highly considered for street oriented photography. While other mirrorless cameras might have better image quality or features, the J5 to me represents a pure street shooter. It's a beast!

Imagine if this system had been given the attention and resources that M43 received, e.g., a bunch of small fast primes and compact zooms. The V2 had great ergonomics for a tiny camera. Although it would have been a great carry around kit, it also would have made for a "choice of compacts". Fixed lens compacts are popular, but folks have different wants and needs. The Nikon 1 system could have been sold as a high end compact with a choice of lenses.

Imagine if this system had been given the attention and resources that M43 received, e.g., a bunch of small fast primes and compact zooms. The V2 had great ergonomics for a tiny camera. Although it would have been a great carry around kit, it also would have made for a "choice of compacts". Fixed lens compacts are popular, but folks have different wants and needs. The Nikon 1 system could have been sold as a high end compact with a choice of lenses.
You know what's even more of a pity? It's actually mostly there as a system: Give me a V1 with better controls (but same form factor and battery) and the updated sensor of the J5, add a 13mm f/2 prime, and we have a hit right there. And if there had been an affordable 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/2 (focal length, not equivalent), we'd have a fantastic compact system with universal usefulness. I haven't thought about the wide end yet, but I think you get my drift ... The compact zooms exist, btw.: The 10-30mm PD and 30-110mm zooms are very nice lenses for their class ... and the wide zoom even is a "best of breed" one.

M.

My friend had the V2 with the 10-30, the 18, and the 10-100. Her results were impressive. Nikon also really needed to use the sony 20 MP sensor instead of a series of lower resolution sensors that gave worse results. This system would have been competition for the low end DSLRs only.

To be honest I think the Nikon 1 was doomed for failure. Had they come out with the Sony 20mp BSI sensor first (though I personally like the Aptina sensor), kept prices reasonable and at least given it Nikon flash compatibility, I think it might of succeeded.The jpeg output of the camera isn't great and you really need to shoot raw to squeeze out image performance. The key aspects that make the Nikon 1 compelling though is that fast readout/electronic shutter and OSPAF across the camera line. The fact that you can get that in a consumer P&S like the J5 is pretty amazing. In other system formats it requires you to buy an Olympus E-M1 mk.II or an Sony A9!

I don't plan on investing more into the system. I mainly just wanted something small I could bring to take snaps of my kids while at the park or at Disneyland!

Actually the latest Sony RX100 V/VI and RX10 IV has the similar readout and PDF sensors like A9. I hardly hear a shutter RX100 VI noise when I silenced the electronic noises that the camera put out. I can capture my dog running or BIF with even single af, not using caf. Sony has not shared this sensor with the other manufacturers yet, but I am sure next generation updates will be based on this sensor... Nikon had this earlier. However, even with its current price, the problem with J5 is the cost of additional grip/evf to use it with their 70-300 lens. Canikon did not want to kill their entry level dslr business, but I think cell phones might...

To be honest I think the Nikon 1 was doomed for failure. Had they come out with the Sony 20mp BSI sensor first (though I personally like the Aptina sensor), kept prices reasonable and at least given it Nikon flash compatibility, I think it might of succeeded.The jpeg output of the camera isn't great and you really need to shoot raw to squeeze out image performance. The key aspects that make the Nikon 1 compelling though is that fast readout/electronic shutter and OSPAF across the camera line. The fact that you can get that in a consumer P&S like the J5 is pretty amazing. In other system formats it requires you to buy an Olympus E-M1 mk.II or an Sony A9!

I don't plan on investing more into the system. I mainly just wanted something small I could bring to take snaps of my kids while at the park or at Disneyland!

Okay I just remembered why we need mechanical shutters! I just shot some photos with the J5 under artificial lighting and I was getting light flickering. o_O

There's no auto light flicker option, just 50hz or 60hz and definitely no physical shutter with this camera!

Okay I just remembered why we need mechanical shutters! I just shot some photos with the J5 under artificial lighting and I was getting light flickering. o_O

There's no auto light flicker option, just 50hz or 60hz and definitely no physical shutter with this camera!

I didnt realise there was no physical shutter. Just took it off my wishlist. Happy then, with the V1 and J1

I didnt realise there was no physical shutter. Just took it off my wishlist. Happy then, with the V1 and J1

Yeah, I think due to the "consumer" nature of the J5, they probably intended the user to use the pop-up flash in heavy artificial lighting conditions. I think had they released the V3 follow-up, it would of had all the features of the V3 with the J5 sensor.

Agreed, it took WAY too long to get the 20mp sensor. I have to wonder if there wasn't some conflict going on behind the scene to do with "we'll give the 20mp it you give us the OSPAF". And the price made it seem like they didn't really want to sell them either.

..... However, even with its current price, the problem with J5 is the cost of additional grip/evf to use it with their 70-300 lens. Canikon did not want to kill their entry level dslr business, but I think cell phones might...
I think you mean the V3 and not the J5; and sadly that also wasn't the 20mp Sony sensor (was that also an Aptina sensor?).

Agreed, it took WAY too long to get the 20mp sensor. I have to wonder if there wasn't some conflict going on behind the scene to do with "we'll give the 20mp it you give us the OSPAF". And the price made it seem like they didn't really want to sell them either.

Nikon was able to get OSPDAF through Aptina who cross licensed the tech with Sony. Aptina was eventually acquired by another company, so who knows what the current licensing situation is with OSPDAF? Though it seems whenever Nikon does look elsewhere for sensors, Sony comes in and messes with their cookie jar! :eek:

How much changes in a couple of years. Just took delivery of a refurb J5 (with a Nikon Warranty!) and have a couple of shots to show.

Toby lurking, waiting for stupid spotted doves to fly down to him
DE0CD9D6-7287-4FAF-AB2D-B8DD85B82597.jpeg

Toby was bad a couple of days ago... :(

C2AF3F8A-4F42-4B2F-B868-CB6C105233D9.jpeg

How much changes in a couple of years. Just took delivery of a refurb J5 (with a Nikon Warranty!) and have a couple of shots to show.

Toby lurking, waiting for stupid spotted doves to fly down to him
View attachment 229552

Toby was bad a couple of days ago... :(

View attachment 229551

Nice first shots with your new camera! Did you get the kit zoom and/or other lenses? I'm a big fan of the 10mm 2.8, because it makes the J5 into an ultra compact pocket camera. The 18.5mm 1.8 is also good and quite sharp. Keep posting!

Back