Nikon Dead Cameras Walking - Shooting the Nikon V1 and J5!

Nice first shots with your new camera! Did you get the kit zoom and/or other lenses? I'm a big fan of the 10mm 2.8, because it makes the J5 into an ultra compact pocket camera. The 18.5mm 1.8 is also good and quite sharp. Keep posting!
I already have a J1 and V1 and the J1 came with not only the 10-30, but also a nice little 10mm lens, which I love. V1 came with a 10-30 and 30-110. I bought the 18.5 a few years back. I wanted the 32mm and the 70-300 but over here the cost was prohibitive, over $1000 for each, so I didnt. I got an adapter for my K mount lenses instead., so my K55 and m35 will get some use, too. J5 came with the 10-30 PD Zoom

Its getting late so I’m not going to be shooting anything much til tomorrow or perhaps next week.

I had a 1 V1 for a short while, and while I liked the handling, I was underwhelmed with the results. Maybe I didn't give it a good enough chance, as I only had a pair of kit lenses.

I sold my V1, because it was underwhelming. The J5 is completely different with the 1" BSI sensor. In every regards it's a modern sensor and performs like a baby Z6 when it comes to image quality!

Gosh this sensor gives amazing clarity. Its a Sony sensor, right? Is it the same as in the RX series?

D1B87851-2343-4EFF-9EFC-FDE51365275F.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5ABB11B5-0254-4B63-B6B5-3EFE393E1423.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There’s only one annoyance for me, and its the thing that made me hesitate to buy when the J5 was new (apart from the price!) and that is the use of the micro-SD card. Fiddling about to slot it into an SD “holder” so I can load to the iPad is a royal PITA. Yes, I can use wifi to transfer, but I found with the P610 that doing that reduces the quality of what gets uploaded so I dont use it anymore. I do hate fiddling with the teeny card, though.

Gosh this sensor gives amazing clarity. Its a Sony sensor, right? Is it the same as in the RX series?

View attachment 230850

View attachment 230851

Yup same sensor as the RX100 series, but with Nikon image processing!

There’s only one annoyance for me, and its the thing that made me hesitate to buy when the J5 was new (apart from the price!) and that is the use of the micro-SD card. Fiddling about to slot it into an SD “holder” so I can load to the iPad is a royal PITA. Yes, I can use wifi to transfer, but I found with the P610 that doing that reduces the quality of what gets uploaded so I dont use it anymore. I do hate fiddling with the teeny card, though.

Yeah, the micro SD cards are fiddly, but I always have an SD adapter by my card reader when I need to edit images. It doesn't bother me as much anymore, but I make sure to put it back ASAP, since they're so tiny and easy to lose!

Most of the Nikon 1 sensors were made by Aptina. Only the J5 had the 20 MP Sony sensor from the rx100. I never understood why Nikon didn’t get the Sony sensor from the beginning.

Just a guess but:

Phase AF? Early RX100's didn't have phase AF and it was a big feature of the 1 series. Or maybe Sony just didn't let them?
That’s a very good point that I had not considered. I’m sure Sony would have sold them the sensor as the use of it by Sony and Nikon was sufficiently different. However, I could see Nikon betting on the unique AF and FPS rather than greater resolution. As I said, I never actually had that system. Maybe I should buy my friend’s system. She has moved on to an RX100 vi.

Last edited:
I believe Sony didn't make 1" sensors until they purchased Aptina to get access to the OSPDAF technology. After that, Sony became the only 1" sensor maker.

The latest RX100 series camera has amazing OSPDAF. If I could justify buying that camera I'd be all over it!

The J5 is the pinnacle of the Nikon 1 series! Sucks they discontinued the system right when things were getting good. I shoot mine mainly with the 10/2.8, 18.5/1.8 and 10-30 PD VR. I previously owned the 6.7-13mm VR and 10-100mm non-PD VR, but ended up selling them. I still miss them, but I replaced them with alternative lenses for my other camera systems! Post pictures when you get a chance! You'll really enjoy just how rich those J5 files are!

Reviving Jonathan's thread to discuss some early thoughts on the 1 V2. Handling is great, and AF is fast. IQ is good. It is apparent, however, that Nikon never talked to actual photographers when designing the various N1 cameras. The intervalometer was removed from the V2, there's no AE-L/AF-L button, no Preview Exposure Effects capability, and manual focusing is menu driven - yuck. Still, the PASM lets me select between Av and M easily, and changing Exposure Compensation is easy enough. When they went to the V3, they added back in the intervalometer, an AE-L/AF-L button, and added a tilt screen, but made the EVF an expensive add-on. I've also read some reviews that stated the V3 build was not as solid as the V2.

My X30 is a solid, complete camera in a compact body, albeit with a fixed, fast zoom lens. The N1 system could have been an ILC analogue to the X30, but it seems like Nikon deliberately crippled each version in some way. The original Pentax Q I once owned had a much smaller sensor, but it also was a solid, well-featured little camera, missing only an EVF. Oh well. My Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR II arrived yesterday, and the adapter is supposed to arrive tomorrow. It is a surprisingly compact lens, even more than I expected. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with it on the V2.

Back