Nikon Dead Cameras Walking - Shooting the Nikon V1 and J5!

This thread and the Small Sensor Symposium are dangerous indeed ... I've almost pulled the trigger on a 30-110mm *and* a J5 twice by now. *And* started contemplating a Canon G5 X III instead, too ...

Thankfully, G.A.S. is subsiding now. But it was quite a bit of an attack.

M.
If you need some encouragement, there's always this thread I started a few years ago: Small sensor challenge

This thread and the Small Sensor Symposium are dangerous indeed ... I've almost pulled the trigger on a 30-110mm *and* a J5 twice by now. *And* started contemplating a Canon G5 X III instead, too ...

M.
We’ve had a few threads that use smaller, older cameras. It seems like most folks have had fun with them. The problem is that the prices on those old cameras are often low enough to be tempting.

Last edited:
We’ve had a few threads that use smaller, older cameras. It seems like most folks have had fun with them. The problem is that the prices on those old cameras is often low enough to be tempting.
Today, I discovered an offer for a NOS Ricoh GRD IV ... for a reasonable price, too. It took me a while to remember my ongoing love/hate relationship with the GR III - I certainly don't need another one of these, even though it'd suit the "small sensor" theme perfectly. I also discovered that while I still have the Canon S95 lying around, I seem to have mislaid the battery and charger ... and I found this really irritating until I remembered why I had put it into storage in the first place: It has a huge piece of debris on the sensor. And even though I like small cameras, I found it too small - and dangerously slippery.

Honestly, I'm going to fetch the last real compact I own (far from a serious one), the Canon IXUS 132, from work to finally stop myself thinking about and tinkering with stuff I simply don't enjoy. The IXUS 132 is a sure-fire cure ... I actually left in in a drawer at work to have something around in an emergency, but probably also to be rid of it in a way ...

Anyhow, between the V1 and FZ1000, I certainly have enough small sensor cameras to work with. It's quite embarrassing: I still like playing around with various cameras way too much - even after finding out what actually works for me and what doesn't.

M.

Last edited:
I didn't really pick up the Nikon 1 system out of nostalgia or sentiment. My only ethos when it comes to gear is getting the best tools for the job at the best price possible! First party or third party, I don't really care as long as it meets my criteria and price point. At the time when I picked up the Nikon 1 J5, it was the cheapest and only compact OSPDAF MILC with a 20.8mp BSI sensor. I also gave up trying to push the non BSI sensors from the previous Nikon 1 models. In my opinion the J5 was the best camera body (and last) from the system. Unfortunately Nikon axed the whole system right when they got everything right!

No nostalgia here. I have the right tools for the job as long as that job is posting to this forum. ;) For a briefcase camera it’s hard to beat the X-30.
My J5 is awesome because it now goes with me on all my bike rides with the 10mm f/2.8 pancake, which I fit in a super stylish fanny pack! :D Almost all my bike photos on the bicycle thread has been taken with this setup. ;)

M.
I did the same, J5 with this thread and Q-S1 with the Symposium. Luckily for me, my logical/rational brain kicks in and I do this comparison:

1615821896653.png

I already have the P14mm so...

I did the same, J5 with this thread and Q-S1 with the Symposium. Luckily for me, my logical/rational brain kicks in and I do this comparison:

View attachment 252071

I already have the P14mm so...

Here's where the illogical/non-rational side kicks in...if you have Nikon F-mount glass and the FT1 adapter, the J5 functions as a ridiculous 2.7x crop camera with 20.8mp! Paired with a sharp telephoto lens, you have a cheap digital teleconverter! 😁

49108633252_8d1ff6e28d_c.jpg

Folding Viewfinder for Nikon 1 J5
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back