Sony Dead LCD

oldwino

Rookie
Traveling in France right now, and the LCD on my RX1 has died. Luckily, I have the EVF with me so I can still photograph.

Anyone else have the screen stop working? I fear a $511 repair coming up when I get home...

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts

Sorry, I don't have an RX1 but for a possible money-saving idea, if you bought the camera with a credit card, check if that credit card offers a free extended warranty benefit. Almost all of my credit cards have this free benefit -- usually extending the manufacturer's warranty by up to 1 extra year.

This benefit has saved me thousands of dollars over the years when something needed repair, usually right after the manufacturer's warranty has expired! In one case a few years ago a Samsung LCD TV panel failed about 2 months after the original warranty expired and the repair would have cost over $2K USD. I sent in a repair estimate and got a check for the full amount about 3 weeks later. :)

Funny thing is...the longer I am without the big LCD, the less I miss it. No more looking at every shot. Longer battery life. And no more bright screen in dark places.

Of course, Sony could just give us a firmware update and allow us to turn the LCD on and off whenever we want.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts

The RX1 firmware already allows two options for turning the LCD on and off whenever you want. One option is to set "Finder/LCD Setting" to manual and use the button on the side of the EVF. The other option is to assign "Deactivate the LCD" to one of the programmable buttons.

Back