GAS Dear all, what should I want?

Alf

Top Veteran
(moved from here, where you can find the fullsize images)

I am in that curious situation where I managed to give in to lust one year ago, at the painful cost of ten year of accumulated gear in the lovely micro 4/3 - I wanted sensor, I wanted available light, and for my sins I got my wishes in the form of the smallest black duck : the Fujifilm X-E4 and two lenses convering about 78% of my historical shooting (16mm and 27mm - both f/2,8 - for the curious, ie. 28mm and 40mm in full frame speak). Added a 56mm Sigma on the cheap, loved it, got an adaptor for my Hexanon oldies, fetched a 23mm TTartisan like the cool guys.
A friend saw the pictures from my little niece wedding, and did the Ask, and I was easily convinced as always it is when it's ladies asking things of me being all cute and smiling - and with my dearest immedately jumping on the occasion for some dressup party and volounteering to assist for the boduoir shooting (it works wonders for making the subject relax and feel confident when there's a lady around, and quite curiously she happens to be very present, cute and affectionate whenever I happen to be around beauties of the more or less undressed variety, which around here includes most of elegant wear).

XE404867.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • Fujifilm XF16mmF2.8 R WR
  • ISO 640
  • 16mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/400s

Disagree with this one if you dare
She even got me a second X-E4 courtesy of the bride to make sure no emergencies arise on the day, and the lovely Fiona and her cameras as third weel free shooter to complete the package. A little 15-45 got in as stabilized wideangle for party pics.
Then the bomb dropped - the marriage is to be postponed for a few months while a few medical inconveniences on both sides get solved allowing for much more relaxed celebrations.
Much simple for my dearest - just more time to prepare

IMG_6857.jpg

• Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max
  • Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • ISO 80
  • 6.9mm
  • f/1.8
  • 1/879s

So here I am: you don't see me much around here publishing, but that is because I am out shooting like mad, culling and processing, and most of the times I won't publish without a little of story to go with the images. I am of course to fall into the largest of GAS attacks as now I have the time for it, with a little time expected to be Out There (central Asia in the Mangystau and then to be in Samarkand at last) and then this Mission.
Of course I must need something to do all this special shooting, of course I must be not enough ready with what I have.
You all know this situation. But I'm stumped.
Should I want a 70-300 for the loveliest desert in the world? A 18-300? Or should I save for the 17-70 (or 16-80, I trust you) for the marriage moment? Maybe add a little flash like those cute godox senior lux for that?
Meanwhile I shoot shoot shoot and I realize I need help to concentrate on what's important.
I can't go on only doing this:

XE4P4731.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
    • SIGMA 56mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary 018
    • ISO 320
    • 56mm
    • f/1.4
    • 1/1250s

XE4P4286.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • Fujifilm XC15-45mmF3.5-5.6 OIS PZ
  • ISO 320
  • 15.2mm
  • f/4.0
  • 1/6000s

885FB3AE-4C78-4810-A68E-61F6108B4E86-3272-00000072E49F62B0.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • Fujifilm XF27mmF2.8 R WR
  • ISO 640
  • 27mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/22000s

Or this:

XE404094.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 800
  • 27mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/9s

DD6071B2-96E6-4B36-A88E-BEE7081E1787-3272-0000007691E553D6.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 80
  • 27mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/1500s

2523D743-8E6D-4761-A554-2CBC70E6C57D-3272-000000766506A07C.jpg

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 640
  • 27mm
  • f/8.0
  • 1/110s

30A75FF1-786F-4776-9F44-EB882F8F5ECB-3272-0000007A16E30A4A.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 800
  • 27mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/56s

Even yesterday afternoon, Mayday at the Museum to see the new Kimono collection and some restored pieces from the archives - and new old machinery too:

XE404991.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 6400
  • 27mm
  • f/2.8
  • 1/80s

XE404945.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • TTartisan 23mm f/1,4
  • ISO 8000
  • 23mm
  • f/1.0
  • 1/100s

Being where the stuff is made gives you a lot of prospective, as friends are working the fashion industry and can explain it all.

XE404938.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • TTartisan 23mm f/1,4
  • ISO 6400
  • 23mm
  • f/1.0
  • 1/100s

XE404931.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • TTartisan 23mm f/1,4
  • ISO 3200
  • 23mm
  • f/1.0
  • 1/80s

Yes, she wore almost all of these at least once.

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

XE404190.JPG

• Fujifilm X-E4
  • ISO 640
  • 27mm
  • f/4.0
  • 1/280s

I need help

Alf, I feel humbled by the wealth of great shots you're showing - in essence, you're not missing anything. However, for the purpose at hand, you need something versatile and optically convincing (because what you have is so good and you obviously know how to use it). You have two bodies at your disposal for the wedding IIRC, so ...

Firstly, I'd get a fast wide prime; I think either of the current Fujifilm 23mm f/1.4 or 33mm f/1.4 lenses will do (my choice would be the 23mm - but a) I sound like a broken record saying this and b) you have 23mm covered by an interesting option; plus the 33mm is better for portraits - though the 23mm will pull ahead on environmental ones). Secondly, I think there's no better choice for the system than the 16-80mm f/4 zoom at the moment to cover both travel needs and the necessary versatility during a wedding - of course, there are the 16-55mm f/2.8 and 18-55mm f/2.8-4 with their wider apertures, but both have less range, the 16-55mm is considerably bulkier and doesn't offer stabilisation which the X-E4 also lacks, the 18-55mm, while a nice lens, doesn't go as wide (important in a pinch indoors) and is not at its best optically on the very important long end. So, while also a compromise, I think you can profit the most from the universal zoom. All that said, the Tamron 17-70mm f/2.8 would trump all native options, but that's such a big lens that you'll also want an additional grip for your X-E4 - nothing against that, but you end up with a pretty big combo, somewhat counter-intuitively, considering your choice of body.

Anyhow, that's how I'd go about it. btw. If you need the fast wide prime is up to you - the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 would be another very nice option as a single prime lens setup for portraits; its reach may come in handy, too. That said, depending on location, you might end up cursing yourself for that choice ...

Finally, I'd think about portable lighting ... Sometimes, a nice LED panel may be more versatile than a flash light, and less intrusive when it comes to certain moments, too. I don't have a recommendation, though - my own choice is neither small nor light, and I often resort to flash (portable and/or camera-mounted as well as stationary studio flashlights). But in today's world, you'll make a lot of enemies when using flash (think of all the people who'll try to film with their smartphones ...).

M.

Alf, I feel humbled by the wealth of great shots you're showing - in essence, you're not missing anything. However, for the purpose at hand, you need something versatile and optically convincing (because what you have is so good and you obviously know how to use it). You have two bodies at your disposal for the wedding IIRC, so ...

Firstly, I'd get a fast wide prime; I think either of the current Fujifilm 23mm f/1.4 or 33mm f/1.4 lenses will do (my choice would be the 23mm - but a) I sound like a broken record saying this and b) you have 23mm covered by an interesting option; plus the 33mm is better for portraits - though the 23mm will pull ahead on environmental ones). Secondly, I think there's no better choice for the system than the 16-80mm f/4 zoom at the moment to cover both travel needs and the necessary versatility during a wedding - of course, there are the 16-55mm f/2.8 and 18-55mm f/2.8-4 with their wider apertures, but both have less range, the 16-55mm is considerably bulkier and doesn't offer stabilisation which the X-E4 also lacks, the 18-55mm, while a nice lens, doesn't go as wide (important in a pinch indoors) and is not at its best optically on the very important long end. So, while also a compromise, I think you can profit the most from the universal zoom. All that said, the Tamron 17-70mm f/2.8 would trump all native options, but that's such a big lens that you'll also want an additional grip for your X-E4 - nothing against that, but you end up with a pretty big combo, somewhat counter-intuitively, considering your choice of body.

Anyhow, that's how I'd go about it. btw. If you need the fast wide prime is up to you - the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 would be another very nice option as a single prime lens setup for portraits; its reach may come in handy, too. That said, depending on location, you might end up cursing yourself for that choice ...

Finally, I'd think about portable lighting ... Sometimes, a nice LED panel may be more versatile than a flash light, and less intrusive when it comes to certain moments, too. I don't have a recommendation, though - my own choice is neither small nor light, and I often resort to flash (portable and/or camera-mounted as well as stationary studio flashlights). But in today's world, you'll make a lot of enemies when using flash (think of all the people who'll try to film with their smartphones ...).

M.
Thank you for the reasoned approach. The wedding should be in a medieval church uphill, so available darkness it might be according to season (September or May should be well lit outside enough to help inside)
Maybe flash but it would be new to me, something to learn. I’ll look into led panels, ideally something small to diffuse around the couple.
Then there is also the trip to think about…

Back