GAS Dear Giary!

mike3996

Legend
I have these manic-depressive ups and downs regarding gear and in the upswing phases it is easy to produce tons of mindless drivel that not many wants to read, I fully appreciate.

I decided I'll open up a personal diary type thread here where I will be probably publishing my streams of consciousness. I fully understand if nobody reads this.

If someone should come up here and wants to comment, please feel welcome to do so.

Something smart comes up from my keyboard, I think I'll summarize those findings in appropriate threads (Personal Gear Review, and Latest Desires).

Let's start with a bang.

I've been thinking about camera experiments even though, at the same time, I've been pretty alright not having terrible jitters about GAS.

The recent objects of interest have revolved around a mirrorless body that can take my Nikkor lenses -- this overall theme ties to a long-standing idea of mine to have a mirrorless body that I would use for all kinds of lenses, to allow free experimentation.

Panasonic S1 is a camera that makes a lot of sense for this purpose. It's a camera that has a spectacular EVF, has big body with nice grip for those larger SLR lenses. Its lackluster AF may have lowered the price point but if one adapts legacy lenses, AF performance isn't exactly a major dealbreaker. All good.

It's apparently discontinued, cannot be got brand new, not that I want to. On eBay I see a few at 1500 € price point. Not bad. The thing that is holding me back is that I don't necessarily feel like getting into that "new camera honey moon" period just right now. Money-wise the Panasonic is not extravagant. If I don't like it I am pretty certain I can sell it very close to what I'm going to pay, in local Finnish markets.

But then I introduced a complication to myself in the form of a sleek, silver, attractive Fujifilm X-T3 body that comes in silver and therefore is an instant looker. Combine the X-T3 with a speed booster and you get a 1000 € package that does Nikon F mount lenses in a very attractive-looking setup. Retro styled camera for vintage 70s lenses. But without IBIS and the complications of speed boosters, it still feels like a tough compromise.

~

I stashed some money last summer to be spent in something. Could be a trip or an expensive food experience or anything. However, it has been several months and I just haven't come up with any interesting targets for that money. I took the money from my investments and I could always reinvest it but it feel so boring. What good is money if you never use it actually?

Why don't I get them both, hell, throw in the X100 for good measure (I see one in my vicinity right now). Wow, where does this come from? 2700 € ain't no chicken feed. It parks my money into rusting gear but by default when everything goes hunky dory, after deciding what I shall keep and what I'll sell, my overall loss I estimate to be around maybe 10 % or 270 €.

Work duties call so let's finish "streaming" for now.

Today a lot is happening. I think the upcoming Black Week and the following Cyber Monday gets juices flowing early.

At one time I had the original X100 on my shortlist, then I kind of forgot about it. Today I spotted a fresh sale. I gave it a mild pursuit, let's see what the seller says about it. It is priced so that I have to just about drop it in salt water if I want to make a loss reselling it.

Then the same story with Panasonic G80 or G85 depending on your region. Interesting camera. The sensor is certainly capable and on the GX80 does a swell job. I see a cool offer on it, after a long hiatus. I'm not sure if I actually want one but -- again, it's priced so that a little experiment won't kill my wallet.

My main camera can cost whatever amount, it will be worth it. But I am much stricter about secondary cameras.

Now I have done it. Three cameras and a lens, and some adapters, all in a day's haul. From separate vendors no less.

At least I didn't break any personal records, spending-wise.

• Early afternoon: Panasonic G80 and an Olympus 12-50.
  • Afternoon: Fuji X100
  • Evening sniping at eBay: Panasonic S1 with an extra battery.
  • As S1 was confirmed, a couple adapters at Urth
~

As much as I'd like to throw in a silver XT3 from somewhere eBay... I think that'd be way too maniacal right now. Let's see about it tomorrow.

~

I predict: G80 will be instant hate from me, and will be sold by January?

About certain aspects of S1 I will like but probably it's too heavy and costy for me to keep, in the process I might love my Df even more?

The old Fuji will be the bittersweet acquisition I predict. IQ puts it below the already-"poor" Panasonic, not to mention the glacial focus speed of the lens. But the character of that pancake will be something else, against that nice 12 megapixel Bayer sensor. Only the problem is that for M4/3 there are so many nicely rendering character lenses too. In good light the 12-32 does a great job in character and focuses instantly. In bad light all will focus badly. A tough call... perhaps one of the reasons I ultimately went for it: so I can see for myself.

~

I should probably pledge myself to keep all these babies until April at the very least, to not to make rash decisions to sell all too quickly.

I've stuck to three cameras basically throughout my life: Practica Super TL, Olympus OM-4 (each of these almost two decades) and E-M5 plus pocket-size Lumix LX-100.2 (roughly ten years. The advantage I see in sticking to a limited gear: you come to know it thoroughly.

What I really ask myself every time GAS discussions come up: would my photos be ten times better had I spent ten times more on gear?

As a guitarist playing a Taylor 812C for over two decades I experience the same kind of discussion. There are people around me who own some 30 guitars, the cheapest of them the price of the one I bought from someone who had never played it and who sold it one third below original price. There is not a single one of these collectors of high-price gear who can play anything on the instrument that touches my heart (and goes beyond advanced beginners level) or has the slightest musicality in performance.

But I've met guitarists who blew my mind producing the most incredible sounds on cheap guitars and completely stunning me. I think it's the same with photography. There are people with meduim-priced gear (one camera only, one lens) who post mind-blowing photos but also much mediocre stuff coming out of Leicas.

What I want to say with all this: of course you need a certain quality of your gear. But it's the man behind who is responsible for the great shot, not the gear ... and least the money spent on it. And proliferation of gear does not produce better photos. Just my own humble opinion. ;)

I've stuck to three cameras basically throughout my life: Practica Super TL, Olympus OM-4 (each of these almost two decades) and E-M5 plus pocket-size Lumix LX-100.2 (roughly ten years. The advantage I see in sticking to a limited gear: you come to know it thoroughly.

What I really ask myself every time GAS discussions come up: would my photos be ten times better had I spent ten times more on gear?

As a guitarist playing a Taylor 812C for over two decades I experience the same kind of discussion. There are people around me who own some 30 guitars, the cheapest of them the price of the one I bought from someone who had never played it and who sold it one third below original price. There is not a single one of these collectors of high-price gear who can play anything on the instrument that touches my heart (and goes beyond advanced beginners level) or has the slightest musicality in performance.

But I've met guitarists who blew my mind producing the most incredible sounds on cheap guitars and completely stunning me. I think it's the same with photography. There are people with meduim-priced gear (one camera only, one lens) who post mind-blowing photos but also much mediocre stuff coming out of Leicas.

What I want to say with all this: of course you need a certain quality of your gear. But it's the man behind who is responsible for the great shot, not the gear ... and least the money spent on it. And proliferation of gear does not produce better photos. Just my own humble opinion. ;)
All well and good, but I'm not sure this thread has anything to do at all with your post. This thread is about joyous abandon and obtaining things one wants, not what one needs. Like I always say, if we only bought what we 'need', we wouldn't have much of anything.

Now, stop trying to inject common sense into this and let Mike have his day! :laugh1::hide:

Last edited:
But to be sure Walter is certainly NOT wrong in any way. Maybe due to my GAS habit or my being a common cheapskate in most things, I have a deep appreciation towards people who can achieve the most, using the least.

I appreciate both of you taking a moment to comment here. I don't wish this thread to become an echo chamber so I appreciate Walter's point of view, and Brownie is right about that there's a healthy lack of common sense here. It is by design I assure you.

I have a piece in the works. It is about wants/needs/gas/not actually gas/gear..... in short, in my twisted mind I think I can provide a justification (within parameters) to excessive gear acquisition. I think it'll be a good opener for some further discussion. Stay tuned! I'm buried with work so it may take a while until I post it.

I have been thinking about getting a FF mirrorless camera for so long, now I feel lightheaded I actually made the decision and soon have one.

The opportunities!

Pick a focal length and no need to factor in the mount. Minolta, Fujinon, M42, Leica R, Olympus OM, Canon FD... the world is yours. Hell, why not go freelensing? :D

All well and good, but I'm not sure this thread has anything to do at all with your post. This thread is about joyous abandon and obtaining things one wants, not what one needs. Like I always say, if we only bought what we 'need', we wouldn't have much of anything.

Now, stop trying to inject common sense into this and let Mike have his day!
There seems to be a slight misunderstanding of what I wrote, Brownie.

I have nothing against people driving Porsches and Lamborghinis or using Leicas and Hasselblads. Their engineers develop things that - transferred top-down - makes people of the consumer segment profit from better quality. And I *do* see and feel the fun factor, too. And the owner's pride. Nothing wrong with all that.

And above all, I wasn't criticizing Mike in the least, I like his way of seeing (and shooting) things.
I was just opposing my point of view in contrast. Let everyone be blessed according to his own façon.

It's just that I wanted to point out that what matters is what you *do* with what you have. ;)

I predict: G80 will be instant hate from me, and will be sold by January?

About certain aspects of S1 I will like but probably it's too heavy and costy for me to keep, in the process I might love my Df even more?

The old Fuji will be the bittersweet acquisition I predict. IQ puts it below the already-"poor" Panasonic, not to mention the glacial focus speed of the lens. But the character of that pancake will be something else, against that nice 12 megapixel Bayer sensor. Only the problem is that for M4/3 there are so many nicely rendering character lenses too. In good light the 12-32 does a great job in character and focuses instantly. In bad light all will focus badly. A tough call... perhaps one of the reasons I ultimately went for it: so I can see for myself.
I predict the slowness and boggling menu options of the original X100 will prompt you to quickly sell, like I did a couple years ago!

And... that the G80 will please you a lot more than you think it will. Like you said, put a nice-rendering lens on it and I think you'll find that "final generation" of 16MP sensor to produce some really, really nice files. I know my GX85 did (and my similar EM5 mark II does). Like, try L Monochrome B&W mode with a large-aperture prime and a green filter in the JPEG options... sweet, sweet files.

Guys you are getting too sensitive in your old age. Brownie’s wee scolding was funny and he is right, we SHOULD let Mike have his day!

Where in the world are you from Brownie? With your humour you must have some Scottish blood in you somewhere!
I can't always tell from written text when people are kidding around or being serious. So I played moderator. Its not the old age. It's the mileage.

Guys you are getting too sensitive in your old age. Brownie’s wee scolding was funny and he is right, we SHOULD let Mike have his day!

Where in the world are you from Brownie? With your humour you must have some Scottish blood in you somewhere!
A wee bit, like, 38% according to DNA. My dad was born in Glasgow...

...Kentucky.

But it was named for the one in Scotland due to the huge influx of Scots-Irish in the 1700's. My surname is a Gaelic word and is so uncommon as a name that if I put it on the internet anyone would be able to find my home address in a few minutes!

Back