GAS Dear Giary!

Very last minute Karen :)

I had a little 'scare' about getting a passport renewed also, in 2014 I think. They scared us about long processing times. Luckily it didn't take all that long. Since the passports are only valid for 5 years nowadays nobody wants to 'waste' months, I guess. I timed my latest renewal poorly, in Feb 2020. The poor bugger hasn't seen use since.

The toughest decisions I always leave up to chance. Using a raffle ticket selector, in which I enter:
  • One ticket: "Just Leica"
  • One ticket: "Leica + Panasonic"
  • Two tickets: "Just Panasonic"
What do I draw?

The lucky winner is: LEICA + PANASONIC.

Congratulations to all winners!

The lottery committee reserves the final decision, if situation with bag size, weight becomes a concern.

Everything fits nicely in the Billingham Hadley Pro. Two changes of clothes (because the weather is going to be nice and spring-y, I picked the thinnest t-shirts) and toiletries and Leica M + 35 Summicron and Panasonic with the 35-100. It's the closest I can be to the "ideal kit" of Q + Pen-F of 2018. But practically the 35 Summicron doesn't have the croppability of the lens in Q so it doesn't come even close.

The trip next week in Joensuu, work related, will be different in that I have to take my laptop with me so Billingham's right out. A lot fits in a backpack so maybe I'll bring Nikon or Pentax? But I also need clothes for 4 nights. Well that's a problem to solve for next Tuesday.

I do also own other bags and even a suitcase but when you enter a new town you want to start shooting right away. Hauling a sports bag while trying to get into the shooting mood doesn't work for me.

Yet sometimes I think what it could be if I had a sturdy roller case that I could also use as a bench. Makes it easy to sit and fish the perfect subject for the light you found on the street corner. And imagine the amount of gear you could be carrying with you. 😎

During my 54 hours of travel, I saw a film Nikon, a TLR, two digital Leica M cameras (black M10 with the Visoflex and a silver M11!). Several Olympi.

The owner of black M10 didn't come to talk to me even when I brandished my own Leica M. He was busy shooting his kids. With the M11 owner I changed a quick word. Nothing too special. It looked like an M6 from distance.

Everything fits nicely in the Billingham Hadley Pro. Two changes of clothes (because the weather is going to be nice and spring-y, I picked the thinnest t-shirts)
Last weekend was springy but humid and chilly so definitely I could have used more layers.

The next trip starts today. It'll be in cold north so it is an easy choice to pack more clothing. I'll anticipate humid, drizzly cold weather so it's probably winter coat time again. Some fellow Finns have already switched to shorts + tshirts as is custom.

My Thinktank Urban Access 13 can't fit my 13" work laptop so I go with the plan B then. Billingham + a small backbag it is.

For gear, I don't need a coin toss this time: it'll be Pentax with some lenses. The duo 21 + 55-300 is a beautiful set. I think I'll also include the fisheye and maybe, maybe one of the Sigmas. One body will do even though it means constant changing of lenses (it's a considerable gap between 21mm and 55mm). Or maybe I'll pack the Fuji X100, I don't know?

I only scratched the very first few shots of the last weekend but I saw very positive shots from Leica and Panasonic. They work together very well.

Panasonic produces a very lovely file and the Leica feel and usability is practically peerless.
When I am not shooting the bright snow banks in direct sunlight and A/B'ing Pentax and Panasonic, the poor EVF of the latter is more than okay. I know the results open up nicely on the big screen even if the EVF doesn't give me a glowing promise of rich tones.

Ah, the brave and great Fuji X100.

For what I paid for it, it's an easy 5/5 camera for dark winter times (because in dark conditions its main competition, the Panasonic, loses a lot of its UX and usability due to EVF/screen refresh) but its EVF is just totally useless in bright daylight. If only could the EVF review be configured to show histograms or preferably blinkies after taking a shot using the OVF.

As such I think I finally learned not to take it, not even as a backup, for anything until September.

Turku starts in Thursday. What should I bring? To save my back a little bit, I could now go for 2xPanasonic (although carrying two bodies is not much of a weight saving) or I could replicate the success of previous Espoo trip (Leica + Panasonic). Or I could go more minimalistic and just Leica with three lenses.

Or maybe I'll choose the way of back aches and pack in some neglected Nikon? Df + 50 would be a crazy thing to do, as the sole system I mean. Df + 50 + 135 is a wonderful two-lens combo but it's a bit cumbersome to be changing between the lenses. Currently I really dig dual body carrying but dual Nikons would be bad for my back.

Anyway, currently I have two kits that are "trending" on my personal charts, due to recent successes:

Leica + 35 Summicron.
Nikon Df + 50/1.4 Nikkor.

I am inclined to ride the trend for a bit. Nikon would be interesting since I don't think I have ever taken it to an out-of-town trip as the main camera. (Excluding car travel; more gear and different thing altogether.)

Am I tired yet? And I already booked a yet another trip to Espoo, mid-June. I did so because I think it'll be the only out-of-town trip I'll do that month. I think I'll be taking it pretty easy. A breather between busy April, busier May, and very busy July.

The weather in Turku is not going to be as nice as I'd hope. I have to prepare for gray, rainy skies. From a photographic standpoint it's obviously much preferable to sunshine and blue sky. But it can be tough to walk about town if it means spending hours in soggy drenched clothes and enduring chilly winds.

Not to mention gear. Is Pentax going to be my choice then? I have one WR lens even though I don't really enjoy the results (the lens is bad). But the lens and the body should be well sealed against light rain (we don't have torrential downpours all that often).

Currently I am leaning on Panasonic G80 and Olympus 12-50 as the rainy day kit. Billingham easily fits another Panny and other lenses. But I don't have a hood for 12-50, which would be a good thing for rain, regardless of sealing.

I will have to think about Pentax for this. The lens renders sharp looking images near but at distances it's not good. The left hand side of a landscape is a bit soft.

Still have some 44 hours left until final decision. It isn't the first time an unfavorable forecast has been cleared for me at the last minute.

Add:
Actually it doesn't look currently that bad. Currently the worst is going to be Friday afternoon-evening and then Sunday (which is the checkout day in any event). Saturday won't look like it's drenching anyone but photography will suffer. Overall, the forecast right now would warrant Leica / Nikon level gear.

Add:

I was going to take a small prime kit for today's stroll (thinking about GX80 + O17) but perhaps I instead take the Pentax and 18-135 WR, try to shoot a bit for fresh evaluation.

Last edited:
My modest balcony.

I mounted the 18-135 on the camera and try my damnest to pixel peep for faults. This lens is better (software-?) corrected than the 21mm limited, at least my copy of it. In portrait orientation the problematic side would probably be downwards now. It doesn't present itself at close focusing distances.

2022-05-24 (Tue) 15-17-48.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I shot some with the 18-135 yesterday. The extending barrel of the lens is wobbly and visibly affects the image. It's too unpredictable for enjoyable photography.

The forecast is also unpredictable. Always humid, it's difficult for the weathermen to make accurate predictions whether the water rains down or just remains in the cloud. Sunny weather on tomorrow evening is also canceled. It's not the best Leica weather.

As such I think I'll go the route of 2x Panasonic cameras this time. Good one-handed operation and always pleasant results (within certain expectations).

I took the Panasonics GX80 and G80 with me to a 3-night trip to Turku.

Perhaps Pentax has spoiled things for me but both EVFs proved to be very lackluster during this trip. I try my hardest to keep telling myself the files will look much better than what little the EVF promises. But it still bites into the enthusiasm.

Didn't see much cameras this time. One silver Olympus and a rare sighting -- a Lumix camera! In videographer's hands, of course.

The weather in Turku was predictably MUCH better than what was forecast. I did carry an umbrella (which was needed for a duration of 30 minutes) and everything fit my Hadley Pro setup well thanks to compact size of M4/3. I had superior flexibility with the tools chosen and carried. It's also so lighty during this season that one can do everything with the slow zooms.

I've been following this thread for a while now. I don't really have anything to add. I do find it all very fascinating!

It's interesting you are trying to spot other cameras, I never thought about it until I read it. They are becoming quite a rare sight now that I think about it :(

I do find it all very fascinating!
Weirdo 🤓

After three trips it's time to relax homebound for a bit.

One trip with Leica, another with Pentax and the latest one with Panasonics, I had a quick walk in Hyvinkää sunshine sporting Nikon Df and the recently rediscovered Nikkor-P.C 50/1.4.

Such good results out of that vintage lens.

Now I am almost on the point of thinking about a new lens for my F mount. Could I look for the 28mm or 35mm AF lenses?

It would make more sense to get an interesting old prime for my Pentax, perhaps one of the old 28mm K mount lenses since everyone else is now shooting them here?

The previous mindset continues: I don't want to be spending large sums on camera gear. I already have too much and soon enough I have to think what direction I take with Panasonics vs Pentax.

Even as I browse the selection I am thinking how I could maybe trade in three Nikkors I'm not using much. Or even more.

It would make more sense to get an interesting old prime for my Pentax, perhaps one of the old 28mm K mount lenses since everyone else is now shooting them here?
I might suggest getting one of the earlier AF versions, such as the F or FA, just because I found manual focus using the M 28 and the KP viewfinder a little difficult. Of course, the cost is about triple... But still not all that much!

Well, why not then? You already have the Df, that seems to be a perfect candidate for testing all vintages of Nikkors.

Just thinking, though, not trying to fan anyones GAS, of course.
Df is the perfect platform for that. But I have my conflicts about expansion.

• Wide angle manual focus lenses: it's difficult game to nail the focus. My 28/2 is difficult and maybe 35/2 would be a different thing.
  • Wide angle autofocus lenses: not bad, but all too often I am left thinking: M4/3 lenses in this category do better and the mirrorless camera does the whole focusing affair much more nicely.
  • 35mm: I already own the best-of-the-best in this category, the Leica Summicron 35mm.
  • Money. After the splurge on Pentax I have watched myself in shock. Is enough finally enough?

If I get insane enough, I can be looking at two Nikkors in particular: the 24mm f/1.4G and 28mm f/1.4D. But they are terribly expensive and require said autofocus which eats into my pleasure. They are both a bit on the large side to be used with Df, and their good utility in low lights goes to waste since Df can't focus in dark.

One option for the Df could be the later Tamron SP-lenses. The 35/1.8 had quite the pleasant rendering, and they aren't that insanely priced in the used market. Then there's the SP 35/1.4, which has been fabled to have even more 'magic'.

Not to fan the flames, just for theoretical consideration, of course. I had the SP 35/1.8 for my 6D, and it was one of my more beloved lenses...

Olympus is having a sale again. E-M1 Mark 3 + 12-40 + 40-150 for 2499 €. This leaves about 1200 € for the two Pro zooms. Not bad. Luckily, no money no problems. ;)

Spending that kind of money on a brand I have actively dismissed "as incompatible" twice before, ridiculous. I might, maybe, try the E-M1.2 in the fall but I probably won't? Buying used will avoid a monetary burn if the third time doesn't prove to be the charm.

GAS-wise, it's been pretty good after the Pentax affair. No GAS on any specific Leica, Nikon or Pentax lenses really. Only some mild GAS about Panasonic 14-140 and 25/1.4 at times but nothing extraordinary.

Mild fantasies about a last-minute splurge on a Fuji X-Pro2 or 3 and a couple of primes that I could take to Norway. Too crazy of an idea right now.

Rising expenses curb a lot of gear enthusiasm. Salaries have been stagnant. Can't get my Panasonic S1 sold.

~

On Friday I'll take my only planned out of town, weekend trip to Helsinki. The weather should be all good and summery. Perhaps now I can take the Nikon Df.

This morning my back was giving me the most terrifying aches (a promise of things to come as I age further?).

Combined with my 2-night trip and its requirements, plus the desire to shoot heavy Nikon, I think I'll dust off my Thinktank backpack. Its ergonomics are not the best but it is what I got. And I get to bring enough selection with me.

~

Somebody did offer a Fuji Xpro2 plus some primes as a trade offer for my S1 but I managed to hold my tongue. After Pentax the last thing I need is a whole another system! The trade has to be really attractive for me to consider it.

Just finished packing the first iteration of things for the weekend. The Thinktank Urban Access 13 always manages to disappoint, mostly because I overhype myself about its volume.

Packing two changes of clothes and Nikon it feels it can't fit anything more. Which is not exactly true. I overhype the ergonomics and capabilities of a backbag and then let it fail my fantasies.

Would my Billingham fit the same gear? Not even close!

It's getting warm outside so I am also worried if a backpack is too warm. A good shoulder bag like Hadley definitely lets my back to breathe.

Is there a better solution available? Maybe, depends. I've twice used a new system of bringing both the Billingham and a smaller Thinktank Perception 15 backpack that is mostly for clothes and noncamera gear. I wear the Billingham first and the backpack then and they both come along quite alright.

The now-discontinued Perception is very comfy on my back, but definitely not a great pack for camera strolls per se.

Would like to explore Thinktank backpacks a bit more but wouldn't want to do it for a cost. Retrospective 15 Backpack looks interesting, for one. Urban Access 13 doesn't allow for modularity or much external connectivity, which would be nice for example today. An extra pouch for clothing that I could detach as the first thing when I arrive to my Airbnb.

I was looking at drybags for this very purpose some time ago but didn't purchase anything.

In any event, I should place an order right now for some lens sleeves so that I can better pack my precious lens cargo in a backpack, be it a proper camera backpack or something else.

Back