GAS Dear Giary!

I fear we are back to square one here. :)
And there's the Christmas rush at the post couriers and not a lot of time before my adventure is to begin.

What happens if/when I return this Q? Get another one at comparable prices? The sexy silver sold at MPB. No reasonably valued Qs in sight.

Maybe take this regret that I got and channel it into actually crossing Q off of the shortlist. The images are great I can't deny that.

The very first thought came to mind after I concluded that it's probably for the best to return the Q: film setup.

I know it's an expensive gig to send it all to Wetzlar so it is not happening right now.
It is but then can you think of anyone who's less than delighted when it comes back? I can't. You can get a lot of great native RF lenses for the cost of a CLA on that lens plus there's the up to 6 months wait time before it comes back but when it does it's so good that all's forgotten about. Apparently. So it'll be interesting to see when you do finally do that.

It is but then can you think of anyone who's less than delighted when it comes back? I can't. You can get a lot of great native RF lenses for the cost of a CLA on that lens plus there's the up to 6 months wait time before it comes back but when it does it's so good that all's forgotten about. Apparently. So it'll be interesting to see when you do finally do that.
They may even offer me a loaner M, at least that used to be the case sometimes in the previous times.

It will happen unless I give up photography altogether before it. But to throw a couple of grand on a maintenance won't happen until I'm employed again and back on track with my savings program. Plus that 6-9 month turnaround time, it's needless to say that it doesn't happen before my January trip.

They may even offer me a loaner M, at least that used to be the case sometimes in the previous times.

It will happen unless I give up photography altogether before it. But to throw a couple of grand on a maintenance won't happen until I'm employed again and back on track with my savings program. Plus that 6-9 month turnaround time, it's needless to say that it doesn't happen before my January trip.
Ah and there was me misunderstanding and thinking you were talking about the lens. Wow, that'll be a big'un, good luck.

Ah and there was me misunderstanding and thinking you were talking about the lens. Wow, that'll be a big'un, good luck.
Because it's a game of tolerances it's wisest to send it all at once. Body and lenses. In fact I have designs to buy some extra Leica lenses just so that I can bundle them up to a calibration. But this will probably happen in second half of 2024 at the earliest.

This will be a week.
Wasn't an hour when a retailer hit me with news about heavy Panasonic discounts.

The old S5 + 20-60 + 50/1.8 deal is still active. The entire combo for 1489 €.
In addition now the new S5ii for 1299 € with cashbacks included. That's a 900 € discount. Pretty huge.

I am completely exhausted at the amount of options at my fingertips.

• Get a used GX9 that hopefully doesn't exhibit bad disc flare?
  • Only a hundred more and I could rebuy a G9...
  • ...but then I'd need a neat WR lens because G9 can't hide in a pocket
  • ...and if I need to buy a WR lens I already have a great body for it (E-M1.2)
  • ...the most exciting lens for Olympus would be the 25mm Pro
  • ...but this combo is as big and heavy as getting the S5 + 50/1.8
  • S5 + 20-60 + 50/1.8 is great
  • It's big camera, costs money, heavy to carry since I'd take my Nikkors with an adapter
What if I go with the Q, shoot it in MF? This way I bypass the shutter trigger problem.

Panic averted!

I figured there are two ways to bypass the shutter (I want to have it checked after the trip, hopefully it's covered under warranty). Either I shoot MF (Q has very excellent tools for this) or I configure the frame selector button to act as AF LOCK. I figure it's an acceptable compromise here.

So I did just that. To my great and most pleasant surprise, this also disabled "focus on half-press" behavior so I actually am getting full BBF on a Leica Q. Nobody ever told me about this. This back button has no electrical contact problems so I am getting the best of every world here.

We are so back in the game!

We are so back in the game!
I almost feel like the shutter is progressively getting worse but can be my imagination at this point. If the button totally gives in and I can't expose frames, my plan B is to source a film setup while in there. Maybe a compact point-and-shooter.

The good people at Leica Store Rome assured me I can take the camera to my trip and then the service is arranged afterwards.

I finished a roll of Fomapan 200 at 800 on Tuesday and today I developed it with Microphen stock, used once before. 12 minutes plus 10% equaled 13min 30sec development time at 20C. Nice stuff on this roll even if I say so myself.

Tomorrow I start for Christmas gatherings. I'll play it easy and take the F70, 50AF + 85AF and two rolls of Delta 3200, which I plan to shoot at "box speed" (= actually push it per their data sheet) develope with Microphen.

Unwrapped the last gear purchase of 2023. The relative new TTArtisan 7.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye Mark II for M4/3.

The build quality of these lenses has taken several more steps towards fantastic levels. Excellent metal finish, perfectly dampened rings. Stupendous quality for a 120 € lens shipped.

What about the image? It appears to be very decent. On the viewfinder of the EM1.2 the image wide open is a bit hazy, making it harder to nail focus. But then on the lighttable, the negatives look good. It is safe to say that the Laowa rectilinear 7.5/2 is miles ahead. This TTA can give a nice pop to an image. Most of my indoor test shots can't be used for assesment because the camera can't effectively stabilize lenses this wide. Or I'm just particularly shaky right now. 1/3sec shots come blurred and all.

I impulse-bought a fisheye (this was done on Cyber Monday) so that I'd take it with me to Japan. I guess I will!

Tokyo starts in 73 hours!

And this week has been super busy with recruiters and other interested prospects contacting me for work. Apparently the turn of the year means the hiring budgets are open again.

I'm on a very short list of candidates for a nice job. They'll announce the decision on Monday. Four applicants left, I'm one of them, and two positions open. I'd say my chances are decent. Ah, what traveling would it make if I could start my flight knowing that I have a job when I get back. Might get... dangerous for my wallet, to roam all those Tokyo camera stores that will sell me stuff tax-free.

Travels aside, this also warms up old desires to move back to a real house. Because it's positively freezing here! A house with a car and everything would open interesting things, provided I have a job that pays for it. My modest needs mean I don't need much income to achieve my dreams.

When it gets warm again my desires for relocate diminish. But it would be a thing.

Whew. Tokyo was good. It's bustling, it's crazy. At the same time, it's cozy and comfortable. And very, very affordable.

Was Leica Q 116 a good fit for this travel? It didn't disappoint but I could have done better work with a 35mm or even a 50mm lens! There was zero desire for other gear during this trip but the thought of viewing the alleyways through Pentax Ltd 21mm did cross my mind. Alongside other selected glass.

Pentax has a small but solid presence in Japan. Some youngster was shooting a K3iii in LV, portraits of his papa in the subway. Another interesting observation was the (relative) abundance of atarashii Nikon Zf cameras, particularly used by birders in parks. And Ricoh GR is a popular item also. Around the very posh Ginza area, Leicas tended to dominate.

~

It's now time to sell the Q on. The lens is superb as has always been, but it doesn't fit my heart (nor my gear cabinet for that matter), not after I got into interchangeable lens cameras. It's fantastic for travel, that's for 100% certain.

I've been restless about my Pentax collection also. A moment of clarity struck me last night. I will sell KP, (keep K200d) and maybe trade in the K1 for a test drive.

Back