GAS Dear Giary!

So once again, I started this day by looking for a cheap deal on a black mist filter, where I found 50 € a bit much for a filter that doesn't even fit without a stepup ring.

And a couple of stumbles in the wrong direction, I have a 1500 € set in a shopping cart, ready to order.

But I cannot do it. Without the time pressures of a limited-time deals I can't bring myself to make this order. The lenses are too heavy, it costs money, this and that.

Heh. As predicted, Kameratori throws in a flash deal in celebration of Cyber Monday: all digital gear -20 %.

Well almost all. As predicted again, they didn't dare to include the 2499 € GFX 50 R bodies in "digital gear" in this context.

With the Panasonic S1 I've taken my sweet time. The camera doesn't present anything new or incredible I haven't already seen in previous Panasonic models. It is familiar.

~

There's a curious feature called "one push AE" that is advertised to behave like what Pentax's green button can do with exposure. Specifically, in M, it should reset my aperture and shutter speed in P-like manner to match the metering.

With my adapted lenses that report or let control no aperture values, this feature seems to be doing nothing. Unfortunate.

~

The grand EVF of the camera of course sports a variable diopter control, with a very wide range of corrections. I had it on a random position and everything looked sharp so I thought it was all good. But I did develop some eye strain on a couple of occasions.

I tried different strengths and noticed that there's a range of strengths where I can get a sharp picture, but obviously one sharp correction can be better than another sharp correction. Too bad the control is not numbered or labeled so that I just have to check over time what's the best.

Between the four new items, there's one clear winner, one loser, and two uncertain ones.

Fuji X100 is a clear winner. Its old tech has been shaped away in such a way you won't meet the limitations often. An OVF doesn't get obsolete in the same way an EVF gets.

Thanks to this success story, I have once again started to think about the X-Pro cameras.

The big attraction is to adapt a lens, any lens, in front of an XPro2 and get optical view, with framelines, and digital corner display (the ERF) for focus purposes.

The big limitation must be the XTrans sensor, I don't know if I can cope with it. Another detail that gives me pause, the user reports that using ERF introduces some extra shutter lag. Most of these reports relate to lens closing down to taking aperture. Perhaps with a "dead" lens there's no problem?

Between the four new items, there's one clear winner, one loser, and two uncertain ones.

Fuji X100 is a clear winner. Its old tech has been shaped away in such a way you won't meet the limitations often. An OVF doesn't get obsolete in the same way an EVF gets.

Thanks to this success story, I have once again started to think about the X-Pro cameras.

The big attraction is to adapt a lens, any lens, in front of an XPro2 and get optical view, with framelines, and digital corner display (the ERF) for focus purposes.

The big limitation must be the XTrans sensor, I don't know if I can cope with it. Another detail that gives me pause, the user reports that using ERF introduces some extra shutter lag. Most of these reports relate to lens closing down to taking aperture. Perhaps with a "dead" lens there's no problem?

I don't have the x-Pro2 but I do have the x-Pro1 and the x100, so I can offer thoughts on a 'similar' comparison. ;) The x-Pro1 is a delightful camera, but I have to say that I return more frequently to the x100 than the x-Pro1. There is something about the x100 which continues to appeal - long after it has become 'old-tech'. The camera is fun to use, and the Bayer sensor still produces great images, below around ISO2000, IME (depending upon the intended size of the eventual image - and of course, upon one's individual taste). At higher ISOs, the x-Pro1 wins.

As someone who owned the x100 for many years (I got mine shortly after that model was first introduced) before buying a used x-Pro1, I can say that although I don't regret getting the x-Pro1, if I were considering the purchase again now - with what I know now - I'm not certain that I would buy it again, since the x100 does such a good job. Obviously, comparison of the x100 with the x-Pro2 might prove very different, but that will have to be for someone else to comment upon. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't have much trouble with the Xpro1 except for the fact that I wouldn't probably touch native Fuji X lenses.

X100 certainly invigorated a lot in me. I could easily see myself pare down my setup, if only temporarily, see if I could make do with the old X100 alone.

It's shame though, selling gear is so expensive.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your meaning here, but you can use adapted lenses on the x-Pro1 (with an adapter, obviously!).
I can yes. But I think using adapted lenses wouldn't be too fluid. I would like to use the OVF as much as I can. But then I need to be in EVF considerably often to focus. An old camera like that probably doesn't offer the best or the most fluent EVF experience.

With X100 I can get away with it because the lens is native to the camera, and I get a focus distance scale on my screen, that I can use to judge and approximate whether the camera has focused where I wanted it to.

With Xpro2 there's the small corner EVF so that I don't have to leave the OVF at any point.

With Xpro1 no such luck. Just constant switching between views, I think it would be somewhat frustrating.

I haven't been super enthusiast about the S1 so far. It's your regular Panasonic so, everything works in a most smart manner, no surprises anywhere. So it's not exciting, it's not easy to take with you due to weight... what's it then?

Today I mounted the Nikkor 28/2 on it to play around for a bit. My hunch was right. Panasonic is able to milk a much better picture out of the lens than the native Nikon Df can.

Basically I just have a terrible time with SLR + wide angle combinations. Achieving good focus in a relaxed yet speedy manner is just neigh impossible, whereas it's trivial on the rangefinder.

On a mirrorless camera I have focus magnification and stuff.

I had all the 28mm Nikkors to choose from. The legendary 28/2.8 CRC. The bokeh machine 28/1.4 AF-D. Even the 28/1.4G -- who's prohibiting me? I chose the 28/2 Ai because it seemed to do the best bokeh.

2021-12-06 (Mon) 17-34-13.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"SOOC" from the S1. I am pretty certain Nikon couldn't produce colors this pleasing. One day I might start doing side-by-side comparisons but I'm not too inclined towards those.

I haven't been super enthusiast about the S1 so far. It's your regular Panasonic so, everything works in a most smart manner, no surprises anywhere. So it's not exciting, it's not easy to take with you due to weight... what's it then?
It is my personal experience that every camera stops to be exciting after a while, no matter how thrilling it was when you first got it. After the honeymoon, it just works and if you're lucky, you're satisfied with it. Now I have to add, I'm more of a lens addict than a camera geek and I still really like the way, for instance, how the Zeiss Loxia lenses handle and perform, even though they objectively fall behind some other lenses (case in point: the Zeiss Loxia 2/35 vs. Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 2/35).
Apart from the weight, which you can tolerate or not, the Panasonic S1 is probably a very fine camera and if the user experience is anything like the GH2, there's nothing wrong with it IMHO. In your case it might be the perfect tool to put legacy SLR lenses through their paces; I have been delighted with the observation that a mirrorless camera really makes legacy glass shine, except shorter focal length rangefinder lenses.

For you an important aspect of the hobby seems to be trying out various kinds of cameras, so by all means do so, can be a lot of fun!

Ain't beating the fact that rangefinders seem to be my thing, through and through. Limitations or no. Well luckily I haven't sold my Leica. I just haven't used it in a bit, of course these dark days of winter I haven't really walked much with my cameras. Except the X100 since it fits in my pocket and remains fluent in the dark.

The mirrorless Panasonic is supposed to support the same idea or theme: allow free exploration of various lenses from various manufacturers from various decades.

Only so far my future plans have been focused around getting M lenses so that they'd be usable on two platforms instead of just one.

We circle back to the original desire: perhaps if Leica M11 delivers something sufficiently great, at a dear, dear cost mind you, it might replace a lot of insanity. But again, at what cost?!

Panasonic S1 is great, no doubt about that. I can read between the camera review lines, as a manual focuser it's right up there with the Nikons, Sonys, Canons probably. They all provide the same focus aids and magnifications and good EVFs and so forth.

Fujifilm sits in its own class because of that dual view thingie. Both Xpro (2, 3) and the X-T series offers it and a few trials with actual photography with the S1 leads me to think about the effortlessness of the dual view in practice. Yes, you lose EVF area by a margin but gain constant, instant, effortless view to a focus. And yes, before anyone makes the connection.... the GFX 50 R also has it.

By the way, I've spent some time with the S1 and I now think that S5 with its lesser specifications is probably much better camera for this purpose than I previously thought. Because Panasonic offers this one kind of magnification style, having a lower-rez EVF doesn't matter all that much. But the fully articulating back screen just kills me. The same reason I won't entertain Fuji X-T4 at all.

Sigh. Anyone ever wish you could go back to those simpler days with your gear?

Technically it's almost always doable (unless your simpler days involved shooting film now discontinued). But it's still way easier said than done.

I had a wonderful simple period in 2016-17 with the X100T. One camera, one lens, one focal length. All you need.

A little later, in 2018-19 I had another period of simple, content life. Leica Q and an M4/3 camera with one telezoom lens coexisted beautifully without overlapping responsibilities.

~

Since Leica M is a great love of mine, I often think about if I should just go back to it full time. Instead of entertaining Nikons and Panasonics simply fork over the money and get native Leica lens options in those telephoto options that exist.

I think I had that desire in the beginning of 2021. Sell just about everything and get the M10R and enjoy the love of my gear life.

Hell, right now I am also entertaining the idea of taking a whole year with the X100 alone. The little capable pocket shooter has that effect on people.

~

But it's easier said and done. To be truly dedicating oneself to one camera, one can't have physical access to other cameras.

Lock it in a safe? Maybe yes, but it's still accessible.

I could sell my stuff, it's not like I couldn't get it back later on. My cheapskate side resurfaces. Why sell something to buy it back, you lose some money each step of the way. In case of my Leica M 240, the loss would be considerable. Would you take a hit of maybe 500 € to be "able to shoot" the 175-euro X100 exclusively for a year? :D

No. I have one camera, the Sony A7R4, that can do everything I want and I have a bunch of lenses. No darkroom, just a computer with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for the processing, done in the living room without the hassle of chemicals, enlarger and all that. If I cannot express a use case for a lens, I'll sell it off. I really enjoy the no-hassle nature of photography of this day and age.

Technically it's almost always doable (unless your simpler days involved shooting film now discontinued). But it's still way easier said than done.
In your case I think it's even impossible: you just won't be able to resist trying out all sorts of systems, cameras and lenses. You're simply doomed :D.

GAS ALERT

Silver Fujifilm X-t3's at my desired price point have been hiding for some time now. That's alright.

Now I made the mistake of checking what else is there. I see this. The Graphite X-Pro2 with the matching 23/2 lens and other stuff, for 1200 €. Steep-ish but this one keeps the value?

Is Dura-Silver X-Pro3 better looking than the Graphite X-Pro2? I think so. But it's also much more money and it's fewer cool features(!).

A used Xpro2 still goes for 800 € easily, the 23/2 maybe 300 €. I should check the street pricing. Of course I need to budget for Nikon, possibly Leica M adapters because I don't want to invest in Fuji X lenses much.

Add: I checked some recent sales posts. The 23/2 has maybe 260 € street value. The Xpro2 should go for 700 €. So I would be paying for the looks a bit extra (240 € extra, to be precise). Besides, I don't really want that 23mm lens so I think I am able to miss this "deal".

Add2. I was/am after the X-T3 because it's readily available in that pretty silver color. The reality is that all signs point towards the X-Pro series being more suitable for me. Nobody really sings the praises of an X-T camera whereas X-Pro1 has a cult following, as do the successors.

Add3: is it really true that the Graphite version had a limited release of 1000 pairs? All the eBay kits are priced out of this galaxy.

Add4: while trying to research that claim about limited run (it appears to be salespeople invention) I found that one graphite kit was sold not far from here for 1000 € last year. That's a good value regardless of limited status.

Last edited:
I picked up a "for parts" Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar in Contax mount, $75. It arrived- and is in far better condition than hoped for. This one will be a great user. Same batch as my Leica mount Sonnar, this one has a black rim instead of chrome. Will be a good project while I am on "use or lose" vacation time.

>Sigh. Anyone ever wish you could go back to those simpler days with your gear?

I wish could go back to the days when you could buy a Summicron for $95, Sonnar 5cm F1.5 for $100, Canon 50/1.5 for $70, Jupiter-3 for $50, Nikkor 5cm F1.4 for $95, etc, etc, etc.
On a plus note: Prices on uncommon lenses out of Japan have fallen 75% over 10 years ago. SO- picked up a Canon 50/2.2 for $100, Minolta 5cm F2 for $125, Canon 50/2.8 for $70, etc, etc, etc.

I had a wonderful simple period in 2016-17 with the X100T. One camera, one lens, one focal length. All you need.

A little later, in 2018-19 I had another period of simple, content life. Leica Q and an M4/3 camera with one telezoom lens coexisted beautifully without overlapping responsibilities.

~

Since Leica M is a great love of mine, I often think about if I should just go back to it full time. Instead of entertaining Nikons and Panasonics simply fork over the money and get native Leica lens options in those telephoto options that exist.

I think I had that desire in the beginning of 2021. Sell just about everything and get the M10R and enjoy the love of my gear life.

Hell, right now I am also entertaining the idea of taking a whole year with the X100 alone. The little capable pocket shooter has that effect on people.

~

But it's easier said and done. To be truly dedicating oneself to one camera, one can't have physical access to other cameras.

Lock it in a safe? Maybe yes, but it's still accessible.

I could sell my stuff, it's not like I couldn't get it back later on. My cheapskate side resurfaces. Why sell something to buy it back, you lose some money each step of the way. In case of my Leica M 240, the loss would be considerable. Would you take a hit of maybe 500 € to be "able to shoot" the 175-euro X100 exclusively for a year? :D
Hey, I went back to simpler times in a sense with the EM5 II, it's a late 16mp model and I've owned newer M4/3 cameras plus a Pentax KP, but the simplicity of the small, solid OMD model with simple and small M4/3 lenses is really nice!

Back