GAS Dear Giary!

New trip, new travels.

I am treating myself to two nights in a hotel. It's a bit costy, and I'd get plenty enough niceties in an Airbnb half the cost, but I was hungry as hell when I browsed the selection and I insisted on a breakfast buffet.

As I am evaluating my gear what I am going to take to Stockholm in three weeks, this next weekend is dedicated to my silver Leica and Cosina Nokton f/1.5. I get to refresh my memory about the lens's performance in day and night time. (I did two hours with black M + 50 Summilux yesterday and it was generally good, very good. It's a real possibility I take that pairing.)

As for the secondary, I'd like to take the Olympus + Nikkor 85/1.8 as the side dish, it's such a good combo. But I might cut down on my weight a little bit and take a Panasonic kit instead. 12-32, 35-100, 42.5/1.7, 17/1.8.

And if I don't actually mind the weight, then I should really take the Nikon Df because I have neglected the poor camera for a long time.

Not surprisingly, as I am fitting gear and clothing in my Billingham, I start to have some bag GAS.

I bought the Thinktank Urban Access 13 for its cool side access but I usually just rest it down on ground to access it. No harm done. But the bag is a bit uncomfy for my shoulders and back. Wonder if I should bring the bag with me to a chiropractor, see if I'd get some advice about it.

MindShift Rotation is maybe something I'd like to see. I had earlier dismissed it for having too little room for gear. But the quick-access belt pocket has a capacity of 6 liters so it should be plenty for dual body action. (My trusted Billy has a nominal volume for 6 L also.) And I can always stove extra gear in the upper compartment.

The gear stores in Helsinki all have unfortunate opening times. On Saturday they're open a few hours during daylight, all of which I would like to spend outside. On Sunday they're mostly closed -- that's the day I'd have time to browse around while I wait for a friend. (That time between hotel checkout and a meet.)

I could probably visit some of the stores today as they're open to 6pm. But I probably have better things to do, it's the beautiful blue hour light?

MindShift Rotation is maybe something I'd like to see. I had earlier dismissed it for having too little room for gear. But the quick-access belt pocket has a capacity of 6 liters so it should be plenty for dual body action. (My trusted Billy has a nominal volume for 6 L also.) And I can always stove extra gear in the upper compartment.

I tried the Rotation once years ago (when it was still branded just ThinkTank Rotation 360) and I found the whole rotate/open->use gear->close/unrotate thing to be really fussy. It was certainly a comfortable backpack to wear, but the advantage of the "rotation" bit was lost when it came time to, you know, rotate. I ended up buying one of the other smallish ThinkTank backpacks, which I still have. So I'd say this is one bag you definitely want to try yourself before buying. A lot of people seem to like it, though! Maybe the new "Mindshift" updates have improved the gear retrieve/replace process.

During a long train ride yesterday I read up on Fuji S5 Pro.

It is such an attractive camera but the general consensus seems to be that its dual-pixel magic power can only be utilized by its own JPEG engine or some "Hyper Utility" windows application from 2007. Having such a high 3-4 stop highlight headroom would be a SUPERB thing, let alone all the CCD goodness...

...but with the way I shoot and process, having a clumsy extraneous -- actually totally alien -- tool in my edit/postprocess workflow would seriously cramp my style and I have to let go of that dream, for now.

It's a 200 € saved. This money would buy me the K10D and K200D both! 😅

Edit to add:

Yet when I thought about it over lunch, it's a rare camera that does take exposure-bracketed shots two at a time. Basically no other camera does this. I know linux tools that can extract the two frames separately and someone else is also entertaining about making automatical exposure merges of the files. I'll probably spend time after Christmas and in January to experiment on the sample files that I can gather from the internet. If I am starting to get really promising files on an automatic/batch process basis, I can get one no problem.
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with a number of threads lately, but what you heard about the S5 was true when it originally came out. But after about a year Adobe caught up.

Shooting a bride and groom on a porch and turned to see this little guest. I turned, fired, and turned back to the B&G without looking at what I got (I was shooting in manual). This was 3 (maybe 4?) stops.

DSCF3864-2.jpgDSCF3864.jpg

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with a number of threads lately, but what you heard about the S5 was true when it originally came out. But after about a year Adobe caught up.

Shooting a bride and groom on a porch and turned to see this little guest. I turned, fired, and turned back to the B&G without looking at what I got (I was shooting in manual). This was 3 (maybe 4?) stops.

View attachment 363178View attachment 363177
Good for Adobe users! S5pro has such a speciality going on for it. I don't know why it is difficult to blend and tonemap two perfectly aligned exposures without artifacts but apparently it is. I might start a thread on FLOSS P&P forums to see what they have to say.

The gear stores in Helsinki all have unfortunate opening times.
Unpredictably, I missed the good stores as I preferred to spend the nice light out in the field.

The last day, Sunday, I already had friends to meet and I resigned from much photography and went to a store that stocks some gear.

No Mindshift Rotations on display, but I did raise a camera or two on my eye.

Canon R3: the eye focus thing almost worked but I fail to see its usefulness as the tracking appears to be so great, you can just focus&recompose to your heart's content without problems. The EVF on the R3 is very good.

OM Systems OM-1: super-WOW. The EVF is remarkable, outstanding! It has the same "larger than life" wow factor as my Panasonic S1. Very good optics in it. The image feed was a bit jerky with the lens at f/5.6 (a kit lens's largest opening at tele end) but it may have been an obscure flicker reduction thing (the store has just about the worst lighting for camera demoing). From a quick menu dive I didn't manage to find an option that would sacrifice some noise in favor of fluency. Maybe it's there.

Fuji XT5: after the OM1, this camera and its EVF disappointed me very much actually. The pixel grid was visible, it didn't fill the view, it didn't even rotate the information tidbits as the previous XT models did. There was a faint loss of resolution in the image when just using it around (pic review was a tiny bit sharper). Overall, this isn't the magnificent viewfinder I remember the XT series from.

The trip last weekend was nice. It was very adventurous for me, but everything went swimmingly. The biggest "problem", if it can be described such, was the breakfast buffet included in the room. I'm inclined to fully exploit such a feast to save a few bucks, at the expense of overconsuming and then suffering the consequences along the day.

I didn't plan it so, but having a breakfast at late morning, I did have good energy to stroll around until 7-8 pm when it was time for evening dinner. No problems with caffeine or sugar levels. However, not my usual way to stroll.

I already booked a new trip for myself. This time it's a barebones lodging that's 40 € cheaper per night, and includes no frills, no breakfast buffets. This 40 € difference pays a lot of breakfast and lunch at cafés that are more idyllic and stylish and varied. And I can have it at my own leisure, no rush.

~

Photographically speaking, the main project was to shoot silver M + 50mm Nokton and see if it still has the magic. My goodness, does it ever!

2023-02-03 (Fri) 16-10-12.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think this is it, the main kit I'm bringing to Stockholm.

This lens never gets bitingly sharp but it has an "appropriate" and expected sharpness at f/8. Renders a very pleasant picture, has character even at such an aperture. Wide-open it gets more artistic in its character but this is something I can welcome, no problem. And it should go without saying that there's resolution at such apertures that allows even a heavy crop. This is not a poor, one-trick lens in the way the TTArtisans 50/0.95 is.

I believe a Panasonic will accompany the Leica. These days I'm accustomed to Olympus color and the 20MP images somehow seem more resolute than the 16MP Panasonic files, even though there never was an issue with the files of Panny. The sensor in a GX80 in its own way accompanies the Nokton's rendering, offering a certain old-timey film resolution, always providing enough but is able to forgive also.

The main competition might be the black M and the 50mm Summilux Asph. I'm going to run this candidate setup more here locally. I'm also giving the neglected love of my life, the 35mm Summicron V, some stroll time.

~

But there's a looming dark cloud on my Leica life.

To cut the chase short, I believe I have well run out of Leica M honeymoon period. In this everyday realism, I take it for granted and I am being too loosey-goosey when I shoot it. It's the best way to focus par none, but the excessively good hit rate starts to reduce as I simply don't pay enough attention -- "I've always nailed the focus before". My hit rate is still excellent but there are some new WTF moments in the editing room when I see misfocused photography. Business as usual for other brands but this is new for my Leica.

Another, even trickier problem is how more and more shots are coming out blurry from shutter shock/camera shake! I've put 40k or even 50k frames through my silver Leica but I think the real reason I didn't experience this in 2019 is that I was under that honeymoon period and I paid more attention.

These days even 1/250 sec isn't always safe from shock (50mm lens). I don't believe the shutter has worn somehow so that it starts to produce shock, it's probably my own fault to a large part.

But for context, the black MP and the summer fling with the M9-P, both cameras are/were more shocky than my silver M, which has now caught up with them. Unfortunate development!

Stockholm is soon up, only 8 days to go and choose my gear.

Suddenly I am liking the black M + 35 Summicron for this endeavor.

My latest observations.

Silver M has perhaps developed a focus drift and then I get shutter shock, either from my own progressed carelessness or the shutter (the latter being a very outrageous grasp at straws).

In any event, now black and silver Ms are basically on even level wrt. shutter shock. And the black M is possibly doing better on the focus front.

I get good results at 1/30sec whereas 1/60 sec gets blurs more than it should. This is my basis for shutter shock issue.

An occasional shot with Silver M + 50 Nokton is hopelessly out of focus. I'm questioning my sanity. Has the camera lost its far sight with all lenses?! But then again, I am wearing thick mittens here and mistakes happen all the time.

Might be the very last day when I finally decide on my travel companions.

~

And it wouldn't be a GAS thread if I didn't say that I'm actually developing some desire towards M11, a body that has the smoothest shutter yet.

Last edited:
Mike, at that price level, have you considered the Hasselblad X2D?

It would be my choice, were I to step outside my existing gear. And my PC can now handle the files with ease.
Not really my dance. Too many pixels and lack of a mechanical shutter doesn't sit with me. Plus it's a mirrorless computer, not a real camera with an optical finder. ;)

But yes, it is obvious that Hasselblad went very aggressively with the X2D, stuffing it with the good stuff and reducing the price to a very competitive level.

Out of the crop-sensor medium format cameras, a used GFX50R is the most interesting. Their asks float at around 1/4th of a new X2D.

Not really my dance. Too many pixels and lack of a mechanical shutter doesn't sit with me. Plus it's a mirrorless computer, not a real camera with an optical finder. ;)

But yes, it is obvious that Hasselblad went very aggressively with the X2D, stuffing it with the good stuff and reducing the price to a very competitive level.

Out of the crop-sensor medium format cameras, a used GFX50R is the most interesting. Their asks float at around 1/4th of a new X2D.
If I were to go that way, I would want the very best. The decision @boojum made ...

Anyway, can the X2D take any of the leaf shutter lenses? I don't know, and it's late here.

If I were to go that way, I would want the very best. The decision @boojum made ...

Anyway, can the X2D take any of the leaf shutter lenses? I don't know, and it's late here.
Let me tell you up front that other than how to attach the lens to the body and push the shutter button I am pretty much lost.

As I understand the X2D it will take any lens in the X line. They must have their firmware updated to work with the X2D. Any other non-H lens can be adapted to work with the X2D, with the proper adapter, but will be usable only with the electronic shutter which does not like motion. As for older H lenses, I think they can be used. H believes in backward compatibility. I have used some LTM's I have but with vignetting problems and they do not equal the XCD 55V that I got with the camera. That lens is quite wonderful, handles color very well, is sharp but not annoyingly sharp despite the fact that it is sharper than anything I have. I understand it is made by Nittoh (Nittoh Inc.) I do not know if the X2D can use the Fuji lenses using their leaf shutters but would guess they can be used without using their leaf shutters.

Here is a lengthy discussion of H lenses that is actually interesting for the less-than technical such as myself:

Last edited:
It will be the black M and 50 Summilux, and 35 Summicron that travel to Stockholm.

2023-02-15 (Wed) 11-08-30.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Consider it as a bonding time with the camera. Ever since its purchase, I've treated it as the redheaded stepson.

I haven't given any thought to the secondary system, but most probably it's Panasonic GX80.

Stockholm came and went. Managed to unload a camera from my arsenal. I lost my job shortly after.

So, it has been a month.

Due to bad/unfavorable weather on my trip, I only shot 2000 frames between three cameras that I took with me. Will I consider any more winter trips abroad (once financials have been secured)? Tough to say. Sleet and rain and drizzle and darkness and flu are not fun things to have with you on a trip that you had to pay for. But there's something in having reflective shiny streets every night, street lights, artificial light.

My shoulder was complaining a lot on the day before last, so I decided to leave Leica M at the B&B and go with Fuji X100 + Panasonic 35-100 for the last day. It didn't result in any huge revelations or anything. It was just fun to take it easy. For night time, of which Nordics see a lot around in February, I always wished I'd taken a small tripod to spend some time with long exposures.

Stockholm is easily the cheapest city between the Nordic capitals. Love that aspect of it. Due to aforementioned weather, I may have spent quite a few hours indoors in cafés and restaurants I normally wouldn't.

The biggest downside must be that its culture, architecture is very close to Helsinki, therefore it lacks pretty much any exotics one usually seeks after enduring a plane ride abroad.

So far I've gone through a quarter of the exposures and Panasonic GX80 shots just seem to lead here. It certainly belongs to a GOAT list. Give me a few years, maybe I'm ready by then to proclaim it as my personal GOAT? But not right now. You can observe how my prolonged honeymoon period with Leica is gradually fading.

From select shots processed in B&W (I've been favoring B&W so far due to the weather/light conditions,) the Panasonic pics just seem to ooze this timeless air to them. There may be grain, that's fine. 99% of the 20th century was exposed on film and it was always grainy. There may be blur but that's always the subject's fault -- the camera's stabilization manages well. Maybe come next trip, it's going to be just two Pannies with maybe 4 lenses among them, keep it very minimal. (Why four; well, two slow kit zooms for daylight and two fast primes for night time.)

It is safe to say that right now I am not suffering from any GAS whatsoever. But with the proceedings I got from Leica M, I gave Leica Q (116) some thought to be sure.

Stockholm came and went. Managed to unload a camera from my arsenal. I lost my job shortly after.

So, it has been a month.

Due to bad/unfavorable weather on my trip, I only shot 2000 frames between three cameras that I took with me. Will I consider any more winter trips abroad (once financials have been secured)? Tough to say. Sleet and rain and drizzle and darkness and flu are not fun things to have with you on a trip that you had to pay for. But there's something in having reflective shiny streets every night, street lights, artificial light.

My shoulder was complaining a lot on the day before last, so I decided to leave Leica M at the B&B and go with Fuji X100 + Panasonic 35-100 for the last day. It didn't result in any huge revelations or anything. It was just fun to take it easy. For night time, of which Nordics see a lot around in February, I always wished I'd taken a small tripod to spend some time with long exposures.

Stockholm is easily the cheapest city between the Nordic capitals. Love that aspect of it. Due to aforementioned weather, I may have spent quite a few hours indoors in cafés and restaurants I normally wouldn't.

The biggest downside must be that its culture, architecture is very close to Helsinki, therefore it lacks pretty much any exotics one usually seeks after enduring a plane ride abroad.

So far I've gone through a quarter of the exposures and Panasonic GX80 shots just seem to lead here. It certainly belongs to a GOAT list. Give me a few years, maybe I'm ready by then to proclaim it as my personal GOAT? But not right now. You can observe how my prolonged honeymoon period with Leica is gradually fading.

From select shots processed in B&W (I've been favoring B&W so far due to the weather/light conditions,) the Panasonic pics just seem to ooze this timeless air to them. There may be grain, that's fine. 99% of the 20th century was exposed on film and it was always grainy. There may be blur but that's always the subject's fault -- the camera's stabilization manages well. Maybe come next trip, it's going to be just two Pannies with maybe 4 lenses among them, keep it very minimal. (Why four; well, two slow kit zooms for daylight and two fast primes for night time.)

It is safe to say that right now I am not suffering from any GAS whatsoever. But with the proceedings I got from Leica M, I gave Leica Q (116) some thought to be sure.
I do not know what you do for your daily bread. But I bet there is another job out there. Hang in there. "Die Suppe ist nie so heiss gegessen wie gekocht ist." And you have the Suomi advantage: Sisu. Those other folks who want the job you want are probably all Russians so go get 'em. ;o)

Thank you for kind words. It is my humble and most hopeful expectation that it won't be long until I'm back on the saddle. I have every expectation that this whole thing will be a net positive in no time. I was in a bad rut with the previous company but wasn't able to kick myself up on my feet. Finding a better job was a major reason for me to move in southern Finland in the first place, but I never got around to it. They ultimately did it for me.

Thank you for kind words. It is my humble and most hopeful expectation that it won't be long until I'm back on the saddle. I have every expectation that this whole thing will be a net positive in no time. I was in a bad rut with the previous company but wasn't able to kick myself up on my feet. Finding a better job was a major reason for me to move in southern Finland in the first place, but I never got around to it. They ultimately did it for me.

I'm wishing you luck and sending good vibes that the right employment opportunity will present itself, Mike. Your situation reminds me of at least one time in my past when I had what I originally believed to be a very good job, but at a certain point I realized it was both problematical and not allowing me to focus on what I really wanted - and needed - to do. When it ended, somewhat abruptly, it was a little nerve-wracking - and stressful - to find myself between things, and not really know what the future held. But perseverance - and patience - will be your friends right now. Keep breathing and, as they say in the theatre, things have their own mysterious way of working out. Because they do... and they will.

I've been working like mad during these few weeks under unemployment. Honing my skills, build a new work to demonstrate during interviews.

Up next, a twonighter weekend trip to Helsinki region. I reserved this dead-ass cheap lodging months ago, and it's uncanceable. I guess I can take it as a pause.

This new week schedule of mine has involved very little consideration for photography. I've been strolling outside to be sure, but not really been in the mood for photography. I was almost drawing a blank on what gear to take with to this weekend getaway.

I'm now settled on a Nikon Df setup as I've neglected the camera for a good while now. For backup camera I will take the Panasonic G80, also neglected. I'm thinking, for lenses, I'll pack only Nikon F lenses. The Panasonic will have the Metabones adapter sitting on it tightly.

Should be fun. I did a similar stunt back in January when I'd only get Nikkors to go with the Olympus. The results from that were pretty great. I expect the Panny to perform a bit worse but I just want to see how it fares in similar conditions (only MF lenses).

One immediate problem I see is that G80 won't let me map the "Magnify" feature to AF-ON button. I'll have to settle for FN2 for that, but it seems like an ergonomical inconvenience.

Back