Micro 4/3 Debating the Olympus 75mm VS Sigma 56mm

OK, so how about for indoor sports (basketball/volleyball)? It does not come up very often at all, but historically, I've had trouble capturing the action with f/2.8 zooms. My go-to thus far has been the 45/1.8 but often that just hasn't been enough reach.

TBH I only recently learned of the existence of the 56mm... The 75/1.8 has been on my list, but I've wondered if that's too much reach? Maybe 56mm is the Goldilocks lens?

OK, so how about for indoor sports (basketball/volleyball)? It does not come up very often at all, but historically, I've had trouble capturing the action with f/2.8 zooms. My go-to thus far has been the 45/1.8 but often that just hasn't been enough reach.

TBH I only recently learned of the existence of the 56mm... The 75/1.8 has been on my list, but I've wondered if that's too much reach? Maybe 56mm is the Goldilocks lens?
I guess it depends on the sport, the available space, the access you may have and your speed/reaction time. When the action gets close to you 56mm may be a struggle as it gets into headshots only (maybe a 2nd body with a 25mm or 17mm may work for you).
Though I am saying this as a thoughtful guess as I have never shot sports or indoors.

My experience, thus far, with my 56mm f 1.4 is that the AF speed is reasonable (but definitely can't match the Olympus Pro lenses) somewhere in between the Oly 45mm f 1.8 and Oly 12-40mm/40-150mm f 2.8 PRO.
But what I have noticed is, unfortunately, a lack of accuracy with AF-C. Where the AF systems confirms that it's focused but when I checked in post it was slightly back focused. I don't know if it's just my copy of the lens or not. It hasn't bothered me to much because it's not a main lens for me. It's my fun lens. That's why I got the fun colourful sticker on it.

I guess it depends on the sport, the available space, the access you may have and your speed/reaction time. When the action gets close to you 56mm may be a struggle as it gets into headshots only (maybe a 2nd body with a 25mm or 17mm may work for you).
Though I am saying this as a thoughtful guess as I have never shot sports or indoors.

My experience, thus far, with my 56mm f 1.4 is that the AF speed is reasonable (but definitely can't match the Olympus Pro lenses) somewhere in between the Oly 45mm f 1.8 and Oly 12-40mm/40-150mm f 2.8 PRO.
But what I have noticed is, unfortunately, a lack of accuracy with AF-C. Where the AF systems confirms that it's focused but when I checked in post it was slightly back focused. I don't know if it's just my copy of the lens or not. It hasn't bothered me to much because it's not a main lens for me. It's my fun lens. That's why I got the fun colourful sticker on it.
Thanks, that's a good run-down. It sounds like the AF speed would be OK-ish then. The challenge I had when I was shooting was limited mobility. So shooting a far end of a court from somewhere in the middle-ish. Not extremely far, but not uber-close either.

I saw some indoor sports pictures taken with a f/1.8 zoom. That's pretty amazing. I can only imagine how much those things weigh though... :)

Thanks, that's a good run-down. It sounds like the AF speed would be OK-ish then. The challenge I had when I was shooting was limited mobility. So shooting a far end of a court from somewhere in the middle-ish. Not extremely far, but not uber-close either.

I saw some indoor sports pictures taken with a f/1.8 zoom. That's pretty amazing. I can only imagine how much those things weigh though... :)
Dion,

I just saw this thread...

I have used both the Oly 75 and the Sigma 56 for indoor sports (wrestling & gymnastics). The focus speed in AF-C with the Oly is a bit better (M1X, OM-1), but both track accurately. This past season I moved to a Canon R7 using adapted Sigma f1.8 zooms (18-35, 50-100) and it is the new best combo for me at this time. And yes, it is very chunky-heavy glass!

Regards,

Edd

Dion,

I have used both the Oly 75 and the Sigma 56 for indoor sports (wrestling & gymnastics). The focus speed in AF-C with the Oly is a bit better (M1X, OM-1), but both track accurately. This past season I moved to a Canon R7 using adapted Sigma f1.8 zooms (18-35, 50-100) and it is the new best combo for me at this time. And yes, it is very chunky-heavy glass!

Regards,

Edd
I would imagine the Tamron 35-150mm f 2-2.8 would be an amazing lens for indoor sports, one zoom lens to cover from reasonably close to reasonably far away. While f 2.8 might not sound exciting on the long end for 35mm FF it shouldn't be an issue on modern sensors like Nikon Z and Sony aX cameras.
For smaller sizes, there's the Panasonic Leica combo zoom 10-25mm f 1.7 and 25-50mm f 1.7 though they are 2 lenses instead of one and not the cheapest options available they are still unique.

Dion,

Regards,

Edd
Oh no worries - I always appreciate feedback on things I enjoy. I'm moving back to Washington State in a few weeks, so no purchases for me at the moment, but the 75mm in particular has been on my list for a while. I really would like a prime with a bit more reach. The R7 doesn't look like a bad deal. My wife has a 70D, and I've thought about getting her something a bit more modern, and it seems like the R7 is meant for a similar audience. How was the transition?

I would imagine the Tamron 35-150mm f 2-2.8 would be an amazing lens for indoor sports, one zoom lens to cover from reasonably close to reasonably far away. While f 2.8 might not sound exciting on the long end for 35mm FF it shouldn't be an issue on modern sensors like Nikon Z and Sony aX cameras.
For smaller sizes, there's the Panasonic Leica combo zoom 10-25mm f 1.7 and 25-50mm f 1.7 though they are 2 lenses instead of one and not the cheapest options available they are still unique.
Well, I can see where you would go with that - I am mostly on the smaller end of things (M43), and f/1.7 is quite impressive in a zoom! Certainly would give more options. That is a decent chunk of change though! :)

Dion,

I shot gymnastics and wrestling with MFT (OM-1, M1X) and FF (1DX MkII, 5D MkIV) in the past. The transition to the R7 was pretty easy for me, handling wise, but I had to re-tool my post-processing. I added PL6 and ON1 to my software suite, and use them when needed to take care of the digital noise issues created by the piss-poor lighting of so many public (and a few private) school gyms. Attached are a few samples...:). What really shines is the subject tracking/eye tracking for me; look at the vault photos...they are launching to the vaulting table (AKA... The Horse) at nearly 18 MPH after hitting the springboard!

Regards,

Edd

WG-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WG-2.JPG
WG-3.JPG
WW-1.JPG
WW-2.JPG
WW-3.JPG

Last edited:
Dion,

I shot gymnastics and wrestling with MFT (OM-1, M1X) and FF (1DX MkII, 5D MkIV) in the past. The transition to the R7 was pretty easy for me, handling wise, but I had to re-tool my post-processing. I added PL6 and ON1 to my software suite, and use them when needed to take care of the digital noise issues created by the piss-poor lighting of so many public (and a few private) school gyms. Attached are a few samples...:). What really shines is the subject tracking/eye tracking for me; look at the vault photos...they are launching to the vaulting table (AKA... The Horse) at nearly 18 MPH after hitting the springboard!

Regards,

Edd

View attachment 477668View attachment 477669View attachment 477670View attachment 477671View attachment 477672View attachment 477673
I think those shots are as good as it gets!

The lighting is why I have mostly gone with primes. My go to is the 12-40mm f/2.8 for most things, but I found indoors that hit fairly high ISOs pretty quick.

Looks like you were pretty close to the action! Nice!

Back