Decent places to live...

Matero

Hall of Famer
Do you wanna live like this? Make sure your ancestors were clever and wealthy enough to buy mill right from their king and have water power available together with sea operations near by and enough workforce and woods to have a mill on your door steps. Then you can live in a manor like this, even in Finland in the middle of the woods and bushes, have a private church, English and French garden with glasshouses for planting exotic plants. And your house and ancestors have hosted both kings of Sweden and emperors of Russia. Strange places and history on the road between Stockholm and Saint Petersburg. [Fagervik manor]

fagervik_manor_3060_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

fagervik_manor_3068_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg

fagervik_manor_3070_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg

fagervik_manor_3064_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg

fagervik_manor_3056_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg

fagervik_manor_3048_Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_EF50mm_f-1.2L_USM.jpg

Another way to making that kind of money can be to become a soldier, more precisely a mercenary. I'll contribute a few images later - it'll have to wait for a couple of weeks even because at the moment I just don't have the time to travel to the place I have in mind ... duh ...

M.

Another way to making that kind of money can be to become a soldier, more precisely a mercenary. I'll contribute a few images later - it'll have to wait for a couple of weeks even because at the moment I just don't have the time to travel to the place I have in mind ... duh ...

M.
I've just been listening to one of the Great Courses (love those) on the Renaissance and the Reformation. Fascinating stuff, a period of history I've always been interested in but just haven't looked into as deeply as I'd like. The mercenary armies which quickly took over from nobles who didn't want to fight the king's wars in the face of military technology that left them woefully vulnerable. All contributing to a rising middle class and the movement of wealth from the old noble houses (themselves originally petty kings and heads of clans and families) and propelling things into the modern age... Fascinating stuff! That house and grounds is stunning, even better in person I've no doubt.

Fascinating stuff! That house and grounds is stunning, even better in person I've no doubt.

The place is stunning and the surroundings couldn’t be captured to make justice for it. (Or at least I couldn’t)

What is seen in the pictures is pretty much as much as is visible to the visitors. The place is privately owned and used and therefore mostly closed for public. Good that there is small cafe for visitors and short path to walk through. That inspired me to think back the days when wealth was built.

I honestly think that all people should be more aware of history. It gives enormous advantage to analyse present and predict future and understand dynamics around. Easy and relieving, not always the case.

Back