Fuji Decisions, decisions!

DH59

Regular
I am changing from a Canon dSLR system to Fuji, having not used said Canon system a great deal since the purchase of a Fuji X10 last Christmas. Now I am looking at either the X-Pro1 or X-E2, and I am going to visit a store where I can hold and test both before I make my final decision.

However, something that may be a concern is the viewfinder on the X-Pro1. I know it's either OVF or EVF, but the issue I think may be a problem is that I need glasses for both distance and reading. I have recently started to wear contact lenses for distance vision (which is +1.00 power in the right eye only), and I note that the dioptre cannot be adjusted on the X-Pro1 without an additional accessory. Does anyone know if this may affect how I can use this camera? Should I just go for the X-E2?

I haven't actually tried either of my current cameras with my contact lens in yet, but then I have never used the viewfinder of the X10 anyway, as there is no information in it. I normally view the rear LCD screen to compose and shoot the image, so as that is close work, I have always had to put my reading glasses on!

Wear your contacts and try the viewfinders of both cameras. You can buy diopters for the XP1, they are the same size as a Nikon diopter. I wear glasses and often will wear contacts for photography. My eyes are getting so bad that contacts cannot correct for both close-up and distance. I chose to correct for distance and found that they also work for viewfinders. I'd get the E2, as that has the latest and greatest technology.

Gary

Thanks Gary, you seem to have confirmed my thoughts exactly!

I have had close-up prescriptions for some years, but the distance requirement came about on my last eye test. Since then I have had two pairs of glasses, as I couldn't get on with bifocals. I also chose contacts for the distance, and then I wear glasses over the top for computer work and reading. I haven't had a lot of time for photography lately, but I definitely need to see what happens with the contact in, and I do want to replace the heavy SLR gear!

Strangely, I only need to wear one lens, as my left eye has been next to useless all my life, with astigmatism that has never been corrected, so all my spectacle lenses on that side have been merely for balance - they don't actually help in any way with the vision in that eye. It's always been a blur! It would have been really awkward looking through a viewfinder if that had been my good eye, although I have heard of some who use their left eye.

I have to admit, I am being swayed by some offers on the X-Pro1, but I am leaning heavily towards the X-E2.

Leftys are not uncommon. I shoot with both eyes, depending on the direction of the action. If I had a useless eye, I'd get a patch ... and a gravelly voice :)

Gary

PS- I have both the E2 and XP1 and for me the biggest difference is the optical viewfinder (only usable from around 14mm to 55mm and the better build of the XP1, (structurally stronger but also larger and heavier).

G

Back